Observations from a new fan of European soccer
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK...so for years, I thought watching soccer was about as interesting as cutting the grass.

Then my son became involved in travel soccer, we started watching games together, and the bug has bitten.

Some initial observations:

1. The game is exciting...even though the scoring is a bit on the low side.

1. Nothing is more exciting than watching a great stop by the goalie.  I probably feel this way because my son is a goalie.

1. I saw what might have been the stupidest series of dumb moves that I think I've ever seen in sports this last weekend, courtesy of Antonio Cassano of AC Milan.  In 15 minutes of garbage time, he managed to get himself thrown out of the game on a pair of yellow cards, the first for removing his jersey after a goal, and the second on a bone-headed hard foul in extra time.  So now, a team that's already short on forwards is even shorter next game thanks to a pointless red card....nice going!

1. Nobody flops as often - and as badly - as Nani.

1. I'm not sure why Wayne Rooney and Lionel Messi are as good as they are...but they are!

1. It's wierd seeing Tim Howard playing for Everton

1. Andy Carrol is a beast.  Ditto John Terry.

1. I'm not sure that Rino Gattuso has received all his vaccinations....but he sure is fun to watch.

1. The announcers crack me up....one of them said "the handbags are out now" last week, and I think my son and I laughed for 10 minutes straight.  For two days, every time we looked at each other we laughed.

1. I like Liverpool because of the way they play...and because the Beatles are from Liverpool.  I like Newcastle...but I can't put my finger on why (other than the association I make with the Brown Ale).  I'm interested in how Chelsea does because someday Fernando Torres will actually score a goal. 

1. I follow AC Milan because my son's coach played for them and wears their successes and failures on his sleeve.  A week ago Sunday, I wore a pink shirt to SUN AM goalie practice...he didn't miss the joke.

1. I follow Man U, mostly because my mother-in-law is from there (well, close by anyway), and because it's fun to see just how badly Nani will flop next.  Wayne Rooney is great, and Edwin Van Der Saar is impressive (especially for his age)

So...what about the rest of y'all?

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 9
So, what is European soccer? Isn't it just the same thing as American soccer, just played in Europe, ie, misunderstood by Americans? I'll tell you, I don't get how anyone can ever have thought football was boring, but that is cool. Cultural differences, I guess. 

I used to watch and play a lot till I left that old continent. In Canada, I just sort of keep up at pubs and chat with mates. In Korea? Why, this 'football feverish' country only watches football during the world cup and there are no europeans around to chat football with. Americans seem only to know one thing: "wasn't 'bend it like Beckham' a movie about soccer?"

I've since taken up table tennis.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Youre right that Nani is a bit inconsistent, he is getting better though. Van der Sar is a very good goalkeeper but Man U are now looking for a replacement for him. Someone between 21 and 25 to play for the next 10-15 years. There are a few different names in the hat for that job. I am from leeds so I follow them. We have had a hard 7 or 8 years, but hopefully in the next couple we get back into the top league where we belong! Its nice to hear that some folks in america have some interest in the European game, I think that football can only get more popular in the US

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 9
 Soccer is soccer. Its a universal term... Now soccer's real name "football" is not. Because of america naming their sport football (don't see why, the ball barely touches the foot in the first place), in europe there had to be a distinction... Thus the term American Football was made. That is used frequently in many countries. Soccer is universally known as football (or something that means something similar in the respective language).

That aside... Messi is an amazing player, but really... I just can't like the guy. It is hard to explain, but when Argentina lost in the WC i was elated because I didn't have to see him again.

I generally love Premier and Serie A. They are so much fun to watch in general.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 9
I have more people explaining the term 'soccer' to me than the other way around. When anyone meets, it seems that football is the preferred term. The only time it isn't is about half the time I talk with an Australian about football, the same with Canadians, and about 90% of the time I meet an American. Everyone else, and I mean EVERYONE uses the proper term, football. Soccer causes more conflict as quite a few people have never used the term.

That said, I agree pretty well with the above. Back in the day (wait for it), I was a Leeds supporter. Why? I've never even been to England. But honestly, I prefer Spanish football.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 9
From Wikipedia:

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association"[size=small].[/size]

Please note that association football was coined to differentiate it from THE game, rugby football.   Now there's a great bloody sport.   Go All Blacks!!!   This year, lads..!

Okay back to football.....I think Barcelona is having one hell of a good season and the best club around at the moment.  Their one-touch passing is amazing to watch.  I know we concentrate a lot with that team on Lionel - and he is amazing, arguably one of the best ever - but Puyol and Pique are really strong in the back field and are as much responsible for Barcelona's success this year as the rest.   By the way, Ray Hudson on Gol Tv has the most incredible set of metaphors for the game...good old Geordie!  He adores Lionel.

Well, it's five minutes to the Manchester United vs. Chelsea UEFA cup game.   Got to go.......go Pensioners.....I mean Blues!

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
 Soccer is soccer. Its a universal term... Now soccer's real name "football" is not. Because of america naming their sport football (don't see why, the ball barely touches the foot in the first place), in europe there had to be a distinction... Thus the term American Football was made. That is used frequently in many countries. Soccer is universally known as football (or something that means something similar in the respective language).

erm so "european" football what the op means is what everywhere in the world calls football ontside north america. 

oh and no one ever calls it soccer bar north americans, ever.

personally i really dont get why the hell anyone gives a crap about a bunch of halfwits being paid a fortune to kick a ball about.  to each their own but i cannot fathom the appeal (or of watching almost any sport' playing yes but watching erm no)

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 9
You misunderstand... I'm saying that there is no confusion with the word soccer. Even talking with europeans, they would know the word soccer provided they know english. Football is the proper term, but in europe they have to make the distinction by saying american football. The only other country that uses soccer is japan. But I could be wrong about that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 9
you follow Man U? what do you think of 'little pea'? (hernandez) him and rooney make a awesome partnership do they not?

also did you not see the tottenham real madrid game yesterday. crouch got a dumb pair of yellows too! and within 15minutes. so 80 minutes they had to make do without their striker and 10 men - what a buffoon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back