Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #7,426 of 8,121
I left my AP80 accidentally in one of my jogging shorts. It went through the spin cycle so I'm at a loss now and looking for a new DAP or I may just get another USB dac/amp stick and call it a day on them. Definitely don't drown your AP80 in any liquid or let it go through the washing machine. I loved that little DAP....

Condolences! Hope u can get it repaired somehow.

If u are looking for a budget DAP, i recently bought a sony A55 DAP at $150 usd. The stock sound is meh but there's a firmware mod by Mr Walkman (a few variants in fact) that unlocks its sound potential to sound like a much pricier DAP. Has 20 plus hours battery life, with some mods it has the typical sony buttery smooth sound sig with nice layering. Quite coloured signature but something good to chill to. Comes with BT too.

Only cons are that it is only single ended and it can't drive higher demanding stuff like planars or big cans.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #7,427 of 8,121
I am slowly looking for an extra source. Something small, like the ap80 or something similar to pair with a portable amp.
I am curious, maybe you guess can help, does the ap80 or ap80 Pro still have a sub bass roll off (tried a few hidizs players about 2 years back and was fairly disappointed, sub bass roll off was audible) I don't want anything to do with fiio (after the x1 gen2, fiio promised an update to fix the freezing issues but then they axed it and stopped replying to my emails, horrible customer service and very little support)
I have not tried shanling competitor, I don't need Bluetooth, WiFi, streaming, android, or any other degradation of sound
Just want something compact, with as close to neutral sound as possible, no noticeable suuub bass or hight treble roll off
Thanks in advance

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #7,429 of 8,121
Maybe the MF-01 is going EOL and is replaced by upcoming MF-02?

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #7,431 of 8,121
The classic xDuoo X2 is back, updated:

Xduoo X2S.

I've seen it on their Facebook group, but it looks like they sell it here.

https://penonaudio.com/xduoo-x2s.html
That looks great with plenty of power but I'm waiting for third generation of X3, I want to upgrade my 1st gen but X3II doesn't look like much of an update without Cirrus Logic DAC. Hope Xduoo introduce X3III soon.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #7,432 of 8,121
That looks great with plenty of power but I'm waiting for third generation of X3, I want to upgrade me 1st get but II doesn't look like much of an update without Cirrus Logic DAC. Hope Xduoo introduce X3III soon.
I liked xDuoo's implementation of the AK4490 DAC. But I'd be happier if they took a turn and opted for a Sabre DAC this time around.
As for the xDuoo X2S, I may be able to look at it in the future.

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #7,435 of 8,121
recently picked up this $100 thing.
Not bad pretty close in sound to the MF-01 but with a better UI
Same chunky/heavy EDC weapon in the hand feel

George did a review on it awhile back

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #7,438 of 8,121
recently picked up this $100 thing.
Not bad pretty close in sound to the MF-01 but with a better UI
Same chunky/heavy EDC weapon in the hand feel

George did a review on it awhile back

Thank you. Never knew this existed.

There is another DAP at a similar price - HIFI Walker H2 - https://amzn.to/3dAKGHl. It uses a Burr Brown PCM5102 DAC. So, do you know how the sound quality of this compares to some other DAPs in this price range?

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #7,440 of 8,121
No build in DAC
I use LO for an external Amp if i like the sound signature of a DAP
Surely has a built in DAC? Are you saying it doesn't function as a USB DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back