Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #7,411 of 8,095
Actually the other way around. AGPTEK rebranded the Benjie. Regardless the pictures on the wiki are from a different version, with rounded edges. Mine is an earlier model with square edges. In fact initial reviews complain about the sharpness of the edges. But its been a tiny workhorse for me. Dropped and abused often but kept working until its Mountain Dew bath
Worthy death though. Love that dew :D
I guess the procedure to open it is the same regardless of the model. My best bet would be to soak it in isopropanol alcohol over night, just the electronics with no screen etc. and then brush it gently with a soft toothbrush. This is how I saved cellphones from the grave when they took a dip in the water :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #7,412 of 8,095
Helo fellow enthusiasts looking for a small portable DAP for commuting on the train to pair with my er3xr's. Looking for something small a tad bigger than my old trusty sansa clip. If anyone can offer some advice as to what my options are not looking at anything really over $120ish. Bluetooth ldac/aptx is a plus of course to go along with my wireless sony cans. Had these in mind along with a few others that I cant seem to find at the moment but this is a general idea of what Im looking for thanks in advance.

HIDIZS AP80​

FiiO M5​

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #7,413 of 8,095
Helo fellow enthusiasts looking for a small portable DAP for commuting on the train to pair with my er3xr's. Looking for something small a tad bigger than my old trusty sansa clip. If anyone can offer some advice as to what my options are not looking at anything really over $120ish. Bluetooth ldac/aptx is a plus of course to go along with my wireless sony cans. Had these in mind along with a few others that I cant seem to find at the moment but this is a general idea of what Im looking for thanks in advance.

HIDIZS AP80​

FiiO M5​

U can check out the Shanling Q1. I bought mine at $90 USD during sales. Has BT, 20+ hour battery life, quite neutral and above average technical performance. Shanling also updates their firmware even months to years after release, so they do ensure some longevity in the DAP.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #7,414 of 8,095
I was reasonably happy with my Hidizs AP80 until I received the AP80 Pro which I enjoy more. But the non Pro version is a nice little player. If you want very inexpensive but still with Bluetooth and a metal case that resists pretty much anything you can do to it except drown it in Mountain Dew you might want to look at the Benjie T6 or the rebranded AGPtek rocker model for 50-ish if you order it from China. In the so cheap I'll just buy another is the AGPtek A2T, make sure you are getting the version with Bluetooth, for under $25. All plastic and only acceptable sound but dirt cheap

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #7,415 of 8,095
I was reasonably happy with my Hidizs AP80 until I received the AP80 Pro which I enjoy more. But the non Pro version is a nice little player. If you want very inexpensive but still with Bluetooth and a metal case that resists pretty much anything you can do to it except drown it in Mountain Dew you might want to look at the Benjie T6 or the rebranded AGPtek rocker model for 50-ish if you order it from China. In the so cheap I'll just buy another is the AGPtek A2T, make sure you are getting the version with Bluetooth, for under $25. All plastic and only acceptable sound but dirt cheap
What would you say is different between the two and does the pro sound better?

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #7,417 of 8,095
What would you say is different between the two and does the pro sound better?
The balanced output, the 2.5mm ttrs jack, really helps tighten up the bass compared to the standard 3.5mm jack. More noticeable with harder to drive IEMs or actual headphones. The extra power available makes a difference. For mobile usage versus sitting in one place there's not too much of a difference. Its not like Its not like I'm going to be wearing going to be wearing my Fostex purpleheart on the bus or while running 😜

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #7,421 of 8,095
If anyone is looking for a nice DAP based on the epic Muses02 OP-AMPs, the ACME MF-01 is a nice one!! I did a full review about it and figured I should share it with you my friends!

Loving the overall sound, although the old-school design may not be for absolutely everyone out there :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/03/acme-mf-01-muse-for-music.html

Acme-MF-01-TTAudio-DSD-PCM-DAP-Flac-Lossless-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Chifi-41.jpg

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #7,422 of 8,095
I left my AP80 accidentally in one of my jogging shorts. It went through the spin cycle so I'm at a loss now and looking for a new DAP or I may just get another USB dac/amp stick and call it a day on them. Definitely don't drown your AP80 in any liquid or let it go through the washing machine. I loved that little DAP....

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #7,423 of 8,095
I left my AP80 accidentally in one of my jogging shorts. It went through the spin cycle so I'm at a loss now and looking for a new DAP or I may just get another USB dac/amp stick and call it a day on them. Definitely don't drown your AP80 in any liquid or let it go through the washing machine. I loved that little DAP....
Has it fully dried out?

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #7,424 of 8,095
Has it fully dried out?
Thanks for asking. It happened two days ago. It wouldn't boot up or charge (no indicator) yesterday. The memory card works fine. And I just plugged it in now and the Hidizs boot up screen comes up but then it seems to be frozen. It flickers like it wants to go on to the next sequence but stays on the Hidizs screen. There's also one huge crack now that wasn't there before the washing machine episode as well as some smaller cracks. The backlight is iluminating them. I might need to look into trying to reset/re-flash the ROM I guess and see if I can salvage it in some way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.34.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.34.03 PM.png
    623.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.34.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.34.15 PM.png
    602.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #7,425 of 8,095
Thanks for asking. It happened two days ago. It wouldn't boot up or charge (no indicator) yesterday. The memory card works fine. And I just plugged it in now and the Hidizs boot up screen comes up but then it seems to be frozen. It flickers like it wants to go on to the next sequence but stays on the Hidizs screen. There's also one huge crack now that wasn't there before the washing machine episode as well as some smaller cracks. The backlight is iluminating them. I might need to look into trying to reset/re-flash the ROM I guess and see if I can salvage it in some way.
Partially working makes it look promising but shame about the cracks. I would leave it for a few more days and see if it makes a difference to how it operates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back