Obscure Chinese DAPs
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #7,186 of 8,095
did anyone bought F.audio FA3S?
i love the cirrus logic sound..im thinking either FA3S or hiby r5
If you like the Cirrus Logic sound and don't mind a bit of a quirky player....The Plenue D2 (Cowon) is an amazing sounding device. It has a few limitations (like TF card size) and not so stellar screen. Otherwise, it's just a great sounding player with it's JET effects DSP sound thingy.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #7,187 of 8,095
did anyone bought F.audio FA3S?
i love the cirrus logic sound..im thinking either FA3S or hiby r5
Really amazing sound quality. Clean sound, bass is softer and less impact than ZX300, but pretty deep, good body. midrange is neutral smooth but detail is enough, treble is good energy, not too shine, not too dull. FA3S can compares with Chinese DAPs around 350$ i've tried like Ibasso DX120(Much better), Cayin N5iis or even ZX300A. But firmware is not stable, fast but not a intuitive UI, crash. Battery is good also, about the same as ZX300. Heat is not a concern when music played, if you turn machine on but dont play anything heat raised fast(Because of class A amplifier) . 13x$ is bargain in term of sound quality
118275487_3206069946174894_1862875230802360229_o.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #7,188 of 8,095
hello i have 2 clips,not rockboxed.tried on sansa e270 and bricked it so wil leave my clips alone.bought them quite a few years ago.still hold charge and still sound very good.have no intention of selling them. bought them both for about £20 used but in very good nick, well one is my dog nibbled on one and cracked the corner slightly still works fine. i have zishan x3,2 sony s638 and a sony a828.the sonys sound excellent as does the zishan,but it doesnt have resume play. i have tried and returned over a dozen players but cant beat what ive got.dont like touch screen,prefer buttons,hence the older sonys.i was born in the days of the dansette mono players.

Mine is no longer rockboxed. It stopped booting from Rockbox, but will boot from the Sansa firmware. The internet tells me that the issue is probably corrupted memory from over-use. I suspect that's true.

Rockbox had a really nice "sleep" feature: you could set the device to always turn off after a given amount of time. I had it set at 30 minutes and it was really nice for listening to podcasts when I was going to sleep. The Sansa firmware doesn't let you do that, though it does have a sleep timer you can set every time you turn on the device, which is a bit of a PITA.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #7,189 of 8,095
Really amazing sound quality. Clean sound, bass is softer and less impact than ZX300, but pretty deep, good body. midrange is neutral smooth but detail is enough, treble is good energy, not too shine, not too dull. FA3S can compares with Chinese DAPs around 350$ i've tried like Ibasso DX120(Much better), Cayin N5iis or even ZX300A. But firmware is not stable, fast but not a intuitive UI, crash. Battery is good also, about the same as ZX300. Heat is not a concern when music played, if you turn machine on but dont play anything heat raised fast(Because of class A amplifier) . 13x$ is bargain in term of sound quality

they haven't release new firmware yet?!
well...it is fairly new player still, whats the power in this amp?

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #7,190 of 8,095
they haven't release new firmware yet?!
well...it is fairly new player still, whats the power in this amp?
They've updated firmware 2.0 but not much changes. The worse thing i hate about UI is that i can't add songs from Folder View to Playlist.
Untitled.jpg
IEMs are no problem. Tinhifi P1 worked perfectly. But i don't think fullsize headphones work properly, some easy to drive like Sony MDR 1Am2 will be fine. FA3s has lineout port also

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #7,191 of 8,095
118275487_3206069946174894_1862875230802360229_o.jpg
Similar impressions, that I found on my FA3 except mids, who are quite warm but detailed (the dac is AK4497 not Cirrus)
Same as firmware (the latest, v1.7) sometimes crash & need reset (not too often, luckily!)

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #7,192 of 8,095
Similar impressions, that I found on my FA3 except mids, who are quite warm but detailed (the dac is AK4497 not Cirrus)
Same as firmware (the latest, v1.7) sometimes crash & need reset (not too often, luckily!)
You made me felt regret for not bought FA3. I need more detail. I choosed FA3S because good experienced i had with CS dac. Maybe i should buy IEM give me more detail like Dunu DK 3001 or Audiosense T800

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #7,193 of 8,095
You made me felt regret for not bought FA3. I need more detail. I choosed FA3S because good experienced i had with CS dac. Maybe i should buy IEM give me more detail like Dunu DK 3001 or Audiosense T800
I think that earphones makes bigger difference than different dac, maybe the AKm is a bit more warm than Cirrus but both are high quality dac offering comparable level of detail. As I wrote above, to me the FA3 matches great with NiceHCK M6, so-so with Ue900s (good detail but lacks bass impact and depth) and bad with NiceHCK Nx7
because the M6 are great all-rounder (needs a bit of EQ to tame some upper bass exceeding thump), the UE900s are good but need bassy sources being an all-BA earphones, and FA3 has bass roll-off (in this case, the FA3's EQ does not help because is mediocre quality, decreasing is ok but increasing distorts the sound a lot) while the Nx7... sounds bad with any player!! So I would not regret about the FA3S, is about finding the right IEM. Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #7,194 of 8,095
Got today my highres player. Don't know why they call it a digital voice recorder.

It's a HYZKE
Model H60
znhogdjh.jpg

ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

d12YmJQ

Pretty satisfied with the build and sound quality. One main problem.

If I open an album folder tracks are not numerated in the correct order but instead they are in alphabetical order. Any tips how to fix it?
Are you sure of the make,googled no luck

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #7,196 of 8,095
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #7,199 of 8,095
Anything changes? I'm still waiting for add songs from Folder View to Playlist function. I know it's pretty hard because the Aigo 108 dap i used 2 years ago(almost the same UI) didn't have this function until now
No, I see that songs can be added to playlist from now playing, not from FLODER view (keep this funny typo haha)
Anyway, the firmware 1.8 applies to FA3, not to FA3S.
It seems that now the player heats up a bit lesser, I will check if battery life changed

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #7,200 of 8,095
No, I see that songs can be added to playlist from now playing, not from FLODER view (keep this funny typo haha)
Anyway, the firmware 1.8 applies to FA3, not to FA3S.
It seems that now the player heats up a bit lesser, I will check if battery life changed
1.8 version for FA3 released at 06/08/2020. You can update FA3 sooner in this link https://pan.baidu.com/s/1c2Ve2uMnWtJhg2Y1YFF0Sw#list/path=/寻声产品固件下载/FA3(饭盒3代)
Password: 3e62
This link from F Audio for all their DAPs firmwares, But needs Baidu account to download
Untitled.jpg

How long have you used FA3? Honestly, hardware is the most worrisome not firmware, especially the wheel

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back