Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,981 of 8,122
Thanks crabdog. Was lookong forward for your thoughts on this. I might get one of these. Can you change the track if the screen is turned off or does it need two clicks. TIA

Two clicks. Same with the volume keys. Resolution seems very good btw.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,982 of 8,122

Got my C5 today. So far I'd say the sound is a little thin and bass lacks authority but EQ responds well. The interface is quite good except that it doesn't display album art :frowning2: Kinda strange since it can view photos but this could be changed with a firmware update maybe. It's really SOLID, like holding a bar of iron in your hand.

So for now we know that the build quality is at least good and the UI fast.Great news!
If the SQ is respectable i'll go for it!
Waiting for some more info on how it sounds, if possible :)

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,983 of 8,122

So for now we know that the build quality is at least good and the UI fast.Great news!
If the SQ is respectable i'll go for it!
Waiting for some more info on how it sounds, if possible :)

Yes, the UI is fast and responsive. I just tested some 1hr+ mp3s and playback starts instantly. On my FiiO X1ii the same tracks take up to 15 seconds (not exaggerating) to start - shamefur dispray!!!

Sound is lean and clean and like I said above the resolution is very good. But it's 1am here and my brain is a bit foggy so I'll continue testing tomorrow.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,984 of 8,122
  Yes, the UI is fast and responsive. I just tested some 1hr+ mp3s and playback starts instantly. On my FiiO X1ii the same tracks take up to 15 seconds (not exaggerating) to start - shamefur dispray!!!

Sound is lean and clean and like I said above the resolution is very good. But it's 1am here and my brain is a bit foggy so I'll continue testing tomorrow.

Foggy is my normal state

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,987 of 8,122
Thank you Crabdog. If, after further use you feel so inclined, would you comment on C5's  battery life? 
Do you feel your $$ was well spent? I have the Benjie S5 and I like its sound a lot, but this caught (and held) my eye from the YouTube video.
Thank you again for first impressions.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,988 of 8,122
I managed to talk with someone from mrobo. At this stage there are no plans to add album art to the "Now playing" screen. 
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,989 of 8,122
Thank you Crabdog. If, after further use you feel so inclined, would you comment on C5's  battery life? 
Do you feel your $$ was well spent? I have the Benjie S5 and I like its sound a lot, but this caught (and held) my eye from the YouTube video.
Thank you again for first impressions.

I also have Benjie S5 and I don't think anything below 50usd can offer better sound quality, wait for new models from Benjie (T6 and T8) next year like me :smiley:

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,990 of 8,122
I also have Benjie S5 and I don't think anything below 50usd can offer better sound quality, wait for new models from Benjie (T6 and T8) next year like me :smiley:

Can you make them appear sooner?

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,993 of 8,122
Dec 30, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,994 of 8,122
I am a new member here, though I have checked out the site intermittently for quite a number of years when I felt the need to buy some new audio equipment. Needed some Christmas gifts and bought a few of the recently released BJ-T6 model directly from Shenzhen Benjie a couple of weeks ago. I do not work for Benjie or any of their resellers and the opinions here are my own.

My account is too new to attach photos of the actual unit that I have. I will add some personal notes to the official info below, but this is not intended as a full review by any means. 

The images that Shenzhen Benjie has referenced on the company WWW site and their AliExpress page do not accurately represent the unit, those are early renderings of the design, not actual photos. The unit is internally named in the firmware as K1 but the marketing name is BJ-T6 or just T6. The T6 is now definitely available to resellers so you should be able to find online pictures of the T6 very soon.

The unit sells for around US$50. My units came only with a micro-USB cord - no charger or earphones.

The T6 has an on-off button and microSD slot on the left side, up and down volume buttons on the right side, micro-USB port and headphone/AUX jack on the bottom, nothing on the top or rear of the unit. The front has the TFT screen and a five way click selection pad. The metal case is finished semi-matte. TFT screen is smooth and shows reflections but that is not really a distraction in use as it is backlit with adjustable contrast. The unit feels really solid, no rattles and the buttons are easy to push and have a positive click. 

The T6 was used with Philips Fidelio L2, Grado SR225 and Sony MDR-CD1700 headphones, no IEMs. These headphones are all quite efficient and the T6 drove each of them to acceptable volume levels with no apparent distortion. No EQ was applied but the T6 has a 10 band customizable EQ as well as eight EQ presets.

Playing well recorded 24BIT/96kHz FLAC files only, and in comparison with a non-Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ that was being used at the same time, also with no EQ, the sound seemed just a tiny bit rolled off in treble sparkle, bass was equivalent, mids equivalent. I would describe the sound as detailed and neutral but not clinical. No hiss or noise floor perceived at all. The 10-band customizable EQ as well as eight presets should adapt the output to whatever sound profile anyone might desire.

Please note that the T6 is being sold in Firmware Version 1.0, so it does not yet support DSD or higher resolution FLAC files. Benjie's sales manager told me that a revised firmware is due out any time now to provide the expected wider range of file compatability and it might also add some other functionality. 

1. 1.8 inch high resolution TFT screen (Note: I don't have the specs for it but it is a color TFT screen and not particularly high resolution. It does show album art and scrolling file names. Washes out with off-axis viewing but legible in daylight.

2. Full zinc alloy die casting (Note: The case is very solid but corners and edges are sharp rather than rounded off, meaning it might wear pockets out and it is not particularly comfortable in hand. Think of it as a mini black monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey."

3. Supports 256GB external storage, no built-in memory (Note: Formatted and tested OK with 64GB SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I)

4. Bidirectional Bluetooth: receive and transmit (Note: Paired quickly with a couple of Bluetooth speakers that I have but not an Eclipse CD5030 head unit, might be my error in trying to do the pairing in the car as I was rushing and did not have time to try once more.

5. Supports DSD format (Note: Not yet, not until a new firmware is released.)

6, Supports AUX IN and 3.5mm earphone output (Note: Really solid connect with headphone jacks, did not try AUX IN)

7. Supports CUE and gapless playback (Note: Did not test yet.)

8. Lossless playback (APE,FLAC, WAV, ALAC...) (Note: Tested OK with FLAC 24BIT/96kHz files but 24BIT/192kHz and 24BIT/352.8kHz FLAC and DSD files are not supported until the new firmware is out.) 

9. Battery capacity: 3.7V/600mAh, charging time: 2 hours, claimed playing time around 40 hours by earphone (Note: I have a couple of these units and one is indicating that it is barely drawing power and the other displays a relatively fast draw down on battery life. Neither unit has been played more than a few hours, used only FLAC files driving several types of headphones, not IEMs, and they have gone through only a couple of charging cycles, so I don't have a conclusion on battery life or efficiency as of yet, but one is showing pretty good life and the other is likely not going to be anywhere close to 10, much less 40 hours of playtime.)

10. USB2.0 high speed transfer slot (Note: Tested functional but don't have transfer rate at the moment.)

11. Synchronous lyrics display (Note: Not tested for lyrics. The current firmware shows Traditional and Simplified Chinese, English, French, German, Spanish and Italian language options.)   

12. IC solution: Ingenic X1000 (Note: Menu responsiveness and file loading of even large files is very quick. Specs can be found here - http://www.ingenic.com/en/?product/id/9.html) 

13. Size: 85*38*10mm

I can offer some more comments after I get more time to play with the T6, but I would say that for me it is worth the US$50, particularly when Benjie releases the updated firmware to enable DSD and higher resolution FLAC files.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #1,995 of 8,122
  I am a new member here, though I have checked out the site intermittently for quite a number of years when I felt the need to buy some new audio equipment. Needed some Christmas gifts and bought a few of the recently released BJ-T6 model directly from Shenzhen Benjie a couple of weeks ago. I do not work for Benjie or any of their resellers and the opinions here are my own.

Fantastic news! Thanks for the info. I'm a bit of a Benjie fanboi so I'm going to grab one of these as soon as possible.

One question: AUX line in? So there's only headphone out?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back