Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 11, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #556 of 8,121

Thanks. I just ordered it from Penonaudio. 

Fine choice, I am sure u will enjoy it. I can send you the download link to the newest firmwares once u get it.
Just to describe L5 in short is that It has very responsive and tight bass, a little too impactful sometime for my taste.
Mids is very lush and smooth, however can be too lean and clean sometime as u might want some thick and layback signature when you listen to pop/vocal.
Highs is too on the lush side and no bright spikes that appear on lots of DAPs even on my hugo. However it does not have a bright signature (like hugo) if thats what you looking for.
Overall it is lean and lush, with decent sound stage and bass impact. It will work fine for many genres of music maybe not the ones that require a thick mid-bass.

As for touch screen and UI, not much to talk about, it is still subject to changes, right now UI is good but touch screen 'ok' responsive, a tap worse than DX90. The screen is not capacitive I believe, it just they haven't figure out how to code the touch screen part.

Sound quality goes it is a level well above dx90.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #558 of 8,121

Fine choice, I am sure u will enjoy it. I can send you the download link to the newest firmwares once u get it.
Just to describe L5 in short is that It has very responsive and tight bass, a little too impactful sometime for my taste.
Mids is very lush and smooth, however can be too lean and clean sometime as u might want some thick and layback signature when you listen to pop/vocal.
Highs is too on the lush side and no bright spikes that appear on lots of DAPs even on my hugo. However it does not have a bright signature (like hugo) if thats what you looking for.
Overall it is lean and lush, with decent sound stage and bass impact. It will work fine for many genres of music maybe not the ones that require a thick mid-bass.

As for touch screen and UI, not much to talk about, it is still subject to changes, right now UI is good but touch screen 'ok' responsive, a tap worse than DX90. The screen is not capacitive I believe, it just they haven't figure out how to code the touch screen part.

Sound quality goes it is a level well above dx90.

Thanks John. I really appreciate it. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #562 of 8,121
Thanks for opinions. 

Quote:
Can you tell us the price and which Web address for Penonaydio.
Thanks.

Penon: http://penonaudio.com/Luxury-Precision-L5%20?search=luxury
Penon on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxury-Precision-L5-CS3310-32BIT-192KHZ-USB-DAC-DSD-High-Fidelity-Music-Player-/381187721506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item58c08f0922

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #563 of 8,121
How easy or hard is the scrolling? Is there more than one way to scroll?

This would seem a major drawback if it is cumbersome. That is one thing I don't like with the Fiio X3 

and really liked on the Sonys or even Android phones.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #565 of 8,121

DX90 is easier to use with the touch screen and has this over Studio V:

True Line out
24bit support
3 gain settings
Touch screen 
USB OTG Storage
Works as a DAC connected to PC
Removable battery

Studio V has:

Better battery life

Pretty simple really. 
smile.gif
 Trust me, I am a fan of Studio V units, owned two for a long time, (at the same time) but the answer is simple. Studio V is like playing pinball machine from the 1970's in usability, DX90 like Playstation 2.

If you talk about sound then there are aspects Studio V does more efficiently over my DX90, such as more air in the presentation, better instrument separation, slightly wider soundstage, that Hisound house sound, though Studio's cannot keep up with resolution and detail of DX90, its simply a rule of thumb due to the better DAC's and internals of DX90. There much more heft to the music, a stronger presence of detail, (evenly across the frequency range), not fake detail which often results from a bright tonality tilt pushing  out in the upper mids (something I felt the Studio did)

Studio V is good and will always have its unique sound, but the iBasso is stronger overall from functionality to specs.

It is simple to understand.

Studio v3 is still more engaging with better prat. DX90 is a bit more resolving on top source material and gets quieter but it left me a little wanting for some less technical musical aspects. That's not to say I don't hear what's wrong with the V3 either. I'd tend to reach for the DX90 but I could go to my v3 and not miss it either. DX90 is better but not beyond preference unless you're sensitive to noise. I still personally preferred it to the Alien. I'd choose the DX90/v3/Alien in that order but it's close and that preference could easily swap for others. All of these ar VG values but none of these are giant killers and if you own one, there's not very much to be gained by switching to another unless you've found a magical interfacing.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #566 of 8,121
Studio does 24 bit wav,but maybe downsampled.
I still argue that the Ibasso is not a true line out, its not fixed voltage. It is like the HDMS function in the studio.

The hold button on its own makes me always take my dx90, but the Studio is always in my bag, battery lasts forever and built like a tank, ie dropped on concrete floor from 5ft and still works perfectly!

Studio does up to 24/48 wav and 24/44 FLAC. I don't think it downsamples. I would disagree about the line out on the DX90 since it is a separate stage from the HO out. Turning the V all the way up is identical to defeating the V control on that chip. More like a pre out but it should be best and as good as it could be as a line out when all the way up.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #567 of 8,121

everytime i see this photo 
deadhorse.gif

the weight ... probably owners need a belt

I like everything about this player except the weight. About 10% more than an X5. Not a fatal flaw but still weighty. I don't even mind the resistive screen for a purpose built DAP. No guesses or miss hits to coordinate with UI speed.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #568 of 8,121
Sorry I believe i made a mistake talking about the screen type earlier,
THE SCREEN ON L5 IS INDEED CAPACITIVE TYPE not resistive.
The touch screen experience is not that great yet (YES, it feels pretty resistive now lol) because of firmware but i guess the better will come off eventually.

EDIT:  source: i asked LP.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #569 of 8,121
  I like everything about this player except the weight. About 10% more than an X5. Not a fatal flaw but still weighty. I don't even mind the resistive screen for a purpose built DAP. No guesses or miss hits to coordinate with UI speed.

TBH, my cellphone weights 170g and L5 weights 217, I hardly feel a difference between the two by just holding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back