Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #6,106 of 8,115
Sry mate, i only found the one file that flashes with the media product tool. Havent seen any that flashes back to stock firmware.
I think there is stock,2017 and 2018 firmware versions,i am looking for the 2017 version not stock.sory for complicating things that much.nymphonomaniac propably has the version i am looking for...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #6,107 of 8,115
My K1 arrived today

Shanling M0 in it's case on the left and the K1 on the right not in it's clip case.

It's not labeled as Benjie but Geruida which are a brand I have never heard of.

This is the link of the product on the Benjie website - http://www.benjie-tx.com/MP3HiFiPlayer/269.html

I ordered it from Ali and cost just over £18. I will use it and post my findings.

This is the link I ordered it from and took around two weeks to arrive.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/K1-...eading-Video-Playback-Sports/33004609597.html

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #6,111 of 8,115
The JNN M16 looks nice. Has anyone found this player at aliexpress?

Saw it popped up today at two sellers... https://www.aliexpress.com/af/JNN-M...14150536&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

HTB1lXBncUuF3KVjSZK9q6zVtXXap.jpg

Correct or not the differences seem to be that it has no card slot but the thing in between the HO and USB is a speaker. Millisecond capacitive touch screen is now mentioned. Saying strong BT but both have it listed as BT 4.0 and not 5.0. My old M9 and the M13 are 4.2 so not sure why this one would be BT 4.0.

Guess silent touch means no audible click or beep which is my preference.

Is persistent playback not stopping after an album or folder but just move on to the next. very happy if that is what it means.

Electronic Bookmarks just for E-books or bookmarks for audio files??

Says you can create playlists on the device.

16GB for $34 is fine. Speaker is a bonus if good enough to finish a podcast after getting out of the car and putting the player down. Also if the persistent playback is indeed what I think that is a nice thing to have for a change. My M9 has Playlists under MUSIC and create playlist option as well but just repeats the same album etc. under "Repeat all" and just stops under the pause icon under "Repeat off".

For its use the amount of memory is plenty for me and probably better there is no slot so I don't have to deal with any local folder/card folder shenanigans of many budget Chinese players.

Might just talk to a seller or two and see if they could shed some light on a few things though. Or may just get one anyway.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #6,112 of 8,115
Saw it popped up today at two sellers... https://www.aliexpress.com/af/JNN-M...14150536&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

HTB1lXBncUuF3KVjSZK9q6zVtXXap.jpg

Correct or not the differences seem to be that it has no card slot but the thing in between the HO and USB is a speaker. Millisecond capacitive touch screen is now mentioned. Saying strong BT but both have it listed as BT 4.0 and not 5.0. My old M9 and the M13 are 4.2 so not sure why this one would be BT 4.0.

Guess silent touch means no audible click or beep which is my preference.

Is persistent playback not stopping after an album or folder but just move on to the next. very happy if that is what it means.

Electronic Bookmarks just for E-books or bookmarks for audio files??

Says you can create playlists on the device.

16GB for $34 is fine. Speaker is a bonus if good enough to finish a podcast after getting out of the car and putting the player down. Also if the persistent playback is indeed what I think that is a nice thing to have for a change. My M9 has Playlists under MUSIC and create playlist option as well but just repeats the same album etc. under "Repeat all" and just stops under the pause icon under "Repeat off".

For its use the amount of memory is plenty for me and probably better there is no slot so I don't have to deal with any local folder/card folder shenanigans of many budget Chinese players.

Might just talk to a seller or two and see if they could shed some light on a few things though. Or may just get one anyway.

For the amount of money it cost to solder on that 16GB flash chip, I would think they could have just done a microSD slot instead :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #6,113 of 8,115
For the amount of money it cost to solder on that 16GB flash chip, I would think they could have just done a microSD slot instead :frowning2:
Great idea, now tell me how I open this thingy so I could mod it having SD-card slot?! :D

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #6,116 of 8,115
Topping NX1S x Xduoo XQ-10

Ok, i might be out of topic here, but i think getting an amp for an obscure DAP have significant impact on the overall enjoyment of ur music.

Just a little bit on my gears, i have a Xduoo X3 which i love and i told it gently "till death do us part" and sadly, m'lady battery swelled and i had to move on. Why i like the Xduoo so much is the navigation (rockboxed btw) and the power it output is sufficient for any IEM that i have. Though IEMs are easy to drive, i still feel they do better with more juice. The X3 also play everything and it takes in 2 SD cards! The sorting format is fantastic too. The build is solid and its extremely portable. Volume is step control but very intuitive, u can always find a nice volume anytime, anywhere.

I have the Zishan DSD AK4495SEQ version with volume knob. I like it alot too as its the most powerful DAP i have, and it gives the music an extra push. Navigation is easy too and the build is solid. The downside is that there is slight channel imbalance at lower volume, and minor distortion when turning the volume up and down but it is still pretty damn good. Its bulky and if someone breaks into my house, imma grab the Zishan and do this.

Also, the Zishan works as an USB DAC and its just plug and play without needing to install a third party driver.

Benjie S5 and X6
They are at a weird spot but definitely very different. The S5 is ultra portable but the navigation pretty bad. The screen is small so u can only have information of like 3 songs everytime. The build is solid and the battery life is like one whole day.

The X6 on the other hand is touchscreen, super easy navigation, but the sound is bad compared to S5. The X6 lacks power and sound pretty lacklustre. The X6 has other problems like it wont play the last song u are listening to when u power on, the sequence play function doesnt work where it will stop at the last song of a folder, u cant go to the song u are playing on the playlist when u press back. So other than having a touchscreen, its pretty bad (more below)

Both has horrible volume control as it gets too loud when u go one step higher and too soft when u go a step lower its too soft.

Ziku HD X9
The X9 is a nice little player with superb battery life (also almost a day) and works as a DAC. However the stock version has pretty substantial bass and i flashed it with a later version and boy, the volume was UNBEARABLE. At level one it was too loud lol. I searched for a another firmware and fortunately i found one which made the sound brighter, but at least i can use the X9. I have to say the grounding (?) is good as i dont have any issue with plugging earphones on and powering on or off the player, and the adjusting of volume has no distortion at all.

Part II
So why amp ur music if ur player can drive ur earphones enough? I dont think every player need an amp to make it sound good as some players output higher power than others. Take the Xduoo X3 for example. It has a 2000mAh battery but the battery like is 8hrs max. The S5 only has a quarter of the capacity (cant remb the exact) but it last over 20hrs.

And for me having an amp greatly improve the sound of the X6, and the overall satisfaction of the player. If u ask me what are the impt things of a DAP, it will be:
1) sound
2) cruising
3) endurance

Sound being sound, cruising being the navigation and endurance being the battery life. So for a player with bad sound, great navigation and ok battery life like the X6, improving the sound can make it a tier 2.5 player to a tier 1.5 to 2 player. And that's how i feel the Xduoo and Topping elevated the X6. Of course if the player already have good sound, i dont think having a dedicated amp helps.

So finally the amp, just a quick one, the Xduoo has a 250mAh battery, is really small, and its kinda powerful for the size. When attached to the X6, it gives the sound more body, more bass and the overall depth is more apparent. However, the sound gets distorted when u either move the 3.5mm pin by twisting, when turning up or down the volume and it has very horrible RFI (radio frequency interference). I can walk along the platform in our subway and get screeches multiple times. It doesnt help when i am in the train and someone beside is using their phone. However, having a 250mAh battery sounds kinda bad right? But no, the amp can outrun the X6 easily! Idk how long does it last but definitely north of 12 hrs, insane!

Then the NX1S, its also pretty small, round the size of the X6. Its build is more solid and the 3.5mm connector is of pretty good quality (metal instead of plasticky). The sound on the NX1S is extremely bright, even with the bass boost its still leans towards the brighter end. However its well shielded hence there is no RFI and when turning the volume, the distortion is pretty minimal. The popping sound is there when u power on and off the amp though.
IMG_20190619_204253.jpg

Ok imma go lurking after a 3 posts marathon recently, otherwise my wallet will cry again xD

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #6,117 of 8,115
Both has horrible volume control as it gets too loud when u go one step higher and too soft when u go a step lower its too soft.

You could solve this by using one of the cheap in line volume control trip dongles. They’re only a few bucks.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #6,118 of 8,115
I purchased the Zulu HD X9 from VS Audio Store looking for some audio magic after reading the positive review. This was not to be as I receive the item DOA. Would not hold a charge, and zero sound even though it showed music file playing.

I contacted the seller and received the worst time I have ever went through with Ali transaction. I explained the situation and sent a video as requested for proof. The seller refused to replace the unit wanted me to ship it back which would cost as much as the entire unit. When I explain this would not work they went through two weeks torturing me by insinuating I was not telling the truth, then suggesting I take it apart to get it fixed at a local establishments and numerous other useless suggestions each taking several days between each correspondence to receive an answer. Even after filing a dispute the most I could get back was half price, even though the item was received DOA and reported immediately. I strongly recommend that one does not purchase from VS audio store unless you enjoy getting ripped off and do not value your sanity.

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #6,120 of 8,115

Users who are viewing this thread

Back