Obscure Chinese DAPs
May 8, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #5,822 of 8,122
Different People, different ears. For me M6 sounds worst of the bunch...
Most definitely! That's why i exclusively buy stuff I've tried out before :D

I'm curious why you found the M6 sounded the worst of the three. Is it because its the brightest of the three? (relatively, it is a neutral-warm dap overall )

I thought that the other two had less extended treble and were less capable of reproducing finer details in the music. PRaT and articulation of notes were also better on the M6.

Just my 2c

May 8, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #5,823 of 8,122
I never owned a DAP before and just want something pocketable at a good price. The N3 is 2 years old device but I like the form factor and it sounds good according to some reviews. You can get better modern DAPs like M6, R3 ou M2 with more features but I'm not sure if it sounds good. It's always subjective.

For now I'm using the Essential Phone with Hidizs Sonata II or ES100 but I want a separate device for music. I don't want to degrade the battery of my phone and I need more available space for music files.
I see. Thanks for explaining!

May 8, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #5,824 of 8,122
Different People, different ears. For me M6 sounds worst of the bunch...

I have not tried the M6 but for me the Cayin just sounds right with my music. The digital filter settings do make a difference for sound with the N3.

May 8, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #5,825 of 8,122
I thought that the other two had less extended treble and were less capable of reproducing finer details in the music. PRaT and articulation of notes were also better on the M6.

Did you try the filters? Anyway, to me the quality of my iems, buds or headphones make more of a difference than the dap. I tend to get lost in my music and don't sit there wondering if another dap (even another of my own) would sound better. As it says in my signature... the gear serves the music.

I should add that I have never been a person who wished for more treble.

May 8, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #5,826 of 8,122
Did you try the filters? Anyway, to me the quality of my iems, buds or headphones make more of a difference than the dap. I tend to get lost in my music and don't sit there wondering if another dap (even another of my own) would sound better. As it says in my signature... the gear serves the music.

I should add that I have never been a person who wished for more treble.
Yeah, I tried the filters and set them to whichever I think sounds best for the dap.

Treble wise, I'd say i have a higher tolerance than most but if its too much, it wouldn't sound good in the first place right :wink:

I tried the highly praised JVC HA FW 10000 a month ago and while i could tolerate the treble, it was unnatural sounding and I didn't like it.

Which filter did you prefer on the N3 by the way?

May 8, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #5,828 of 8,122
I have not tried the M6 but for me the Cayin just sounds right with my music. The digital filter settings do make a difference for sound with the N3.
Ah, then you definitely prefer a warmer and more smoothed sound.

I use short delay sharp since it had the most attack and crispness.

May 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,829 of 8,122
Ah, then you definitely prefer a warmer and more smoothed sound.

I use short delay sharp since it had the most attack and crispness.

Yes. But smoothed does not mean that detail is lacking at all.

I mostly listen to acoustic instruments, Americana, Singer-songwriter stuff, Blues, Rock, Folk, Oldies, World Music, Classical, some Jazz, Indie etc.... no rap or EDM but some electronica. Not much of what I would call pop but some. Pretty much anything if it is good. Like I don't normally go for metal but there is always the occasional song that I do like. I hate trying to assign everything to a genre. I really only have need for two categories... Good, or Bad. :)

I prefer to relax with music. One of my favorite examples would be Leonard Cohen.

May 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #5,830 of 8,122
Yes. But smoothed does not mean that detail is lacking at all.

I mostly listen to acoustic instruments, Americana, Singer-songwriter stuff, Blues, Rock, Folk, Oldies, World Music, Classical, some Jazz, Indie etc.... no rap or EDM but some electronica. Not much of what I would call pop but some. Pretty much anything if it is good. Like I don't normally go for metal but there is always the occasional song that I do like. I hate trying to assign everything to a genre. I really only have need for two categories... Good, or Bad. :)

I prefer to relax with music. One of my favorite examples would be Leonard Cohen.
Not sure why I don't like that type of presentation though. It's like wool is put into my ears and I'm unable to cleanly and precisely hear the sound.

Then again, I mostly listen to soundtracks which call for a more precise reproduction to sound their best. I've noticed that the usual song that focuses on vocals is less picky and will sound fine on a larger range of gear.

That or maybe I'm just picky.

May 8, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #5,831 of 8,122
Not sure why I don't like that type of presentation though. It's like wool is put into my ears and I'm unable to cleanly and precisely hear the sound.

Then again, I mostly listen to soundtracks which call for a more precise reproduction to sound their best. I've noticed that the usual song that focuses on vocals is less picky and will sound fine on a larger range of gear.

That or maybe I'm just picky.

I know I am not the only one who uses the Super Slow setting. In fact, it is the recommended one for the type of music I listen to (even though it is certainly not just one type). Many of the singer songwriters that I like I have seen perform in small venues... like the Ann Arbor Ark in Michigan . 450 seats at the current location but only 175 seats at its previous location (which is where I saw Jeff Buckley). I know what their voices sound like live and I have to hear it reproduced correctly on the gear.

I will say that I do have problems with Classical music. I had a really nice stereo system with floor standing speakers before I moved here. It is really difficult for me to listen to Classical even on full sized headphones. Smaller pieces are ok but a symphony is difficult enough to record properly ... much less try to listen with head gear. It needs to fill a room.... actually a concert hall.

... and yes... you are most picky... lol.

May 11, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #5,832 of 8,122
IMG_20190511_142057.jpg
Alright X6 is here and i must say the navigation is pretty good. Not as smooth as smartphone but still very good

May 11, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #5,834 of 8,122

Alright X6 is here and i must say the navigation is pretty good. Not as smooth as smartphone but still very good

Very nice. My Benjie X6 has arrived in the country and will hopefully be with me on Monday. I need to get a card ready for it.

What is that beside it in the photo? It looks huge next to the X6.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #5,835 of 8,122
@zazaboy hmm i dont think its fair to compare the X9 to the Benjie X6 as the X9 has a dedicated CS4398 DAC, MAX97220A opamp and more power so soundwise i would say the X9 is better hands down from the short listening i have with the X6.

The X6 has an ATJ229R2 chip and LPA4890 amp. That's it. However its the UI that makes the experience different. Much more user friendly, shows more info (i havent tried the playlist function, if it works it will be dope). I really hope there is a firmware update as my experience with Benjie S5 is that the update made the sound better, maybe due to placebo effect but that was a long time ago.

The X9's sound profile did change after the firmware update though as i was forced to. The stock was alright, but after an update it became bassy and the volume was insanely loud (at step 1 it was beyond my hearing comfort). I found another update which is the one i am using now, where the sound profile lean towards brightish however i have an audible player now lol.

So i think both are good to have, but if u have to choose one the questions to ask urself are:
1) Do u want a good cheap player with great sound and insane battery life but can do with pretty horrible nagivation (Am pampered by the rockboxed Xduoo X3. Hell even the Zishan DSD has better UI); or
2) A good cheap player with great UI, good battery life(?) and decent sound.
PS: Both doesnt have gapless

Just to add, the Benjie X6 build feels solid but the X9 is built like a tank lol

@mbwilson111 its an iphone but idk which model it is xD probably a 5?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back