Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #5,401 of 8,123
I like the AP50 for what it is. I got it pretty cheap. I do wish it had gapless play and I wish it read tags better. It is quirky.

The photo was so people could compare sizes.

Yeah that font... not the best but I have seen worse. I have one Dap that is hopeless because the font is even smaller and very crowded together. I can't read any of it without a magnifying glass. At last I can read this one... but my Cayin is great because you can have small medium or large fonts. I use large. I wish they were bigger on the playing screen but at least other screens look like this.

using custom firmware to get that black background.

10206877.jpg

Information density is definitely on my list of priorities in interfaces. The new crop of DAPs all seem to have ludicrously low density. Four tracks visible, and you can only read like fifteen characters of each - how do they have larger screens than the old Clip line yet show less information?

I seem to be on a perpetual quest to recreate the Rio Karma with modern technology. This may be quixotic.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #5,402 of 8,123
But yeah, back to the M1 -- sounds like that other guy had a lemon, since you've not heard any of what he reported.

To be fair, I have not tried to shuffle play... maybe it pops then? Also I do not know what kind of files he was using. I just use normal Flac.

Now, can I blame you and @HungryPanda if I impulse buy it, too? You since you posted that huge, high-res picture and reported your impressions on it, and @HungryPanda for buying it to make all that possible, right? :D

;Yeah, it might be the only reason he is still alive!

I seem to be on a perpetual quest to recreate the Rio Karma with modern technology. This may be quixotic.

Well that one was ahead of its time.

Meanwhile I can live with less info on the screen if that means I can read it without a magnifying glass.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #5,403 of 8,123
I like the AP50 for what it is. I got it pretty cheap. I do wish it had gapless play and I wish it read tags better. It is quirky.

The photo was so people could compare sizes.

Yeah that font... not the best but I have seen worse. I have one Dap that is hopeless because the font is even smaller and very crowded together. I can't read any of it without a magnifying glass. At last I can read this one... but my Cayin is great because you can have small medium or large fonts. I use large. I wish they were bigger on the playing screen but at least other screens look like this.

using custom firmware to get that black background.

10206877.jpg

No comment about the DAPs, but kudos on the Lee Harvey Osmond!

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #5,405 of 8,123
Has anyone tested the M1 to see if gapless playback is supported for flac files?

I will test that tonight later... I only have the 16GB card that came with it installed at the moment and none of the albums I put on it are gapless. I am now filling a 128GB card that arrived today... I keep getting distracted by headfi... lol

The M1 comes packed in a nice box and there is a manual but only in Chinese. I was able to find the website and using Chrome was able to see some translated bits. The actual name of this dap seems to be Moonlight Box HIFI Player M1. There is a download section for firmware and manuals but I expect the manuals would all be in Chinese. Everything in that section is for the older models. I hope at some point there will be updates for this one. In the menu there is an option for updating but you would have to have an update file on a card.

I will put the link here so that we can find it in the future to check for updates. It seems like a nice company.

http://www.huaqidigital.com/product/278061376

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #5,406 of 8,123
@jj69 I played Roger Waters Is This The Life We Really Want? and, no, the M1 does not support gapless at this time. I switched to another DAP to finish the album.

Also, I am trying to remember the name of the program used to sort albums on the card alphabetically. Like many simple DAPs this one displays them in the order in which they were written to the card. I have not needed to do this since I switched computers.

It does support a128gb card as stated ..I would not try to go bigger. It is somewhat slow scrolling through too many folders.

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #5,407 of 8,123
Don’t tempt me! I wonder if @mbwilson111 still uses her AP60 II? I’m eying the AP60 PRO. :ksc75smile:
I received my Hidiz AP60 PRO with the ESS Sabre DAC today it sounds excellent and has some power for like the tiniest little thing.
255645CD-1E61-4D48-9D11-892E7A959D20.jpeg

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #5,409 of 8,123
I received my Hidiz AP60 PRO with the ESS Sabre DAC today it sounds excellent and has some power for like the tiniest little thing.

Thanks for the pic together with the glasses and the Bluetooth headset -- that really puts it in perspective! It is indeed quite small. :) I did end up caving in and buying it on the last day Hidizs had it for $77ish, and it is on its way to me now. :D

How do you feel about the tiny buttons?

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #5,410 of 8,123
They are just ok, the firmware is beta 1 they also have a newer beta firmware. I got used to the buggers pretty quick. Some of the options you have for various seatings like the clock time out real fast. If your searching for the exact spot to click it’ll time out and make you start over. I’ll update firmware tomorrow and see what changes.

I love the sound, musical, detailed toe tapping air drumming gooood!
Its got power it seems...im using low gain and get enough volume for me.
I’m using it as a Bluetooth dac, streaming Spotify to it from an ipad and letting my beloved ESS SABRE DAC decode the bluetooth and make it sound correct. I love it so far....it does more but the DAP and Bluetooth Sabre conversion are the two biggies for me.....!!

I’m crashing...I’ll write more tomorrow...gotta get some sleep! Later!

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #5,411 of 8,123
Thanks for the pic together with the glasses and the Bluetooth headset -- that really puts it in perspective! It is indeed quite small. :) I did end up caving in and buying it on the last day Hidizs had it for $77ish, and it is on its way to me now. :D

How do you feel about the tiny buttons?

I had planned to include the Hidizs AP60 MKII in my size comparison photo with the Cayin N3, that Moonlight M1 and the Ruizu A50. Unfortunately, by the time I had a chance to take photos, the Hidizs was already on the way to work with my husband. Actually I do have this photo comparing it to its big brother the Hidizs AP200.

R0013024.JPG

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #5,412 of 8,123
Another size comparison that I made last winter...Not sure if I ever shared it. It did not turn out very well but here is , from left to right...

xDuoo X3 >>> Cayin N3 >>> Hidizs AP60 MKII >>> Ruizu A50 >>> Opus #1
R0013028.JPG

Haha... part of my head is reflected in the Cayin screen and my camera is reflected in the Hidizs! At first I could not figure out what I was seeing. Should have had them all turned on like I usually do. I think it was just too hard to keep them all awake at once.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #5,413 of 8,123
mbwilson111- Whats the battery life like for you on the small one? Mine was full 5 songs ago now its lost a bar already. That may be because I had the display very bright and Gain was on high, that may change since I just went through the settings and lowered a lot of stuff.
Which firmware is yours running? Mine is on the first beta...I’ll upgrade it if you tell me its ok to without bugs popping out all over.
Do you like?

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #5,414 of 8,123
mbwilson111- Whats the battery life like for you on the small one? Mine was full 5 songs ago now its lost a bar already. That may be because I had the display very bright and Gain was on high, that may change since I just went through the settings and lowered a lot of stuff.
Which firmware is yours running? Mine is on the first beta...I’ll upgrade it if you tell me its ok to without bugs popping out all over.
Do you like?

You have the Hidizs AP60 Pro? Mine was the MKII but I expect that battery life would be similar. I had not used mine in a very long time... too many daps. here so I can't remember. I don't remember it being terrible. I do prefer percentage readings to those bars. I would just use it until it powers down this first time and see how long you get.

Firmware would probably not be the same for the MKII and Pro. Hidizs like a few others always call their versions Beta.

As I mentioned a couple of nights ago, I traded it to my husband @HungryPanda for the Moonlight M1 that he had just received, so I do not have it here to check anything. Maybe he will notice how long it lasts while he uses it at work this weekend.

The only reason I traded is that the M1 form factor just suits my use better. The Hidizs is definitely better in certain ways.. like having gapless play. I just won't keep gapless albums on the M1, which for me would be a few live albums and certain artists.

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #5,415 of 8,123
I'm enjoying the AP60 MKII a lot used it for six hours last night and it still had 2 bars but just charged it again while I slept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back