Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #4,397 of 8,123
I just bought an AGPTek H50 off Amazon, and while it sounds great I've also found some bugs so far.
I saw the firmware update post on the AGPTek website but the instructions are incorrect, the audio tools software doesn't let me select a .HEX file. Anybody else using this and managed to get a firmware update going?
I like the size and shape but I've already found two cases where it completely locks up. I wish these were more hackable, I'd love to do custom firmware on them ):
The Agptek H50 is the same as the Ruizu A50 and if other players from the same company are a guide the firmware would work on either. I have successfully updated my A50 from the Ruizu website without problems but I never had any trouble with it anyway as it has never locked up.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #4,398 of 8,123
The Agptek H50 is the same as the Ruizu A50 and if other players from the same company are a guide the firmware would work on either. I have successfully updated my A50 from the Ruizu website without problems but I never had any trouble with it anyway as it has never locked up.
Alright that worked for me, I renamed the file to "AGPTEK_H50_I"... instead of the filename you need.
I have another problem that i was hoping new firmware would fix, any artist names that are too long for me get cut off. For example, "BADBADNOTGOOD" turns into "BADBADNOTG", however some other parts of the UI can show larger strings and it just scrolls it. Do you have this issue? Is there a fix?

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #4,399 of 8,123
As shown below(though cut off) why do they do that? I'm assuming Power/Enter is Play button so why is the FF/RW on the top right after the earphone slots. just keep Play FF and RW together. Also why is there a VOL button. Would like V+ and V- but I guess you have to press VOL then spin the Knob. Guess the knob does nothing when on the playing screen. Not sure if a deal breaker but really wish it either had volume buttons or the dial would just do the volume in now playing state. Better if the PLAY/FF/RW were together and the Return and then VOL were on the top side. 400 days of design and test yet that is the layout you settled on to control it? Knob only says 360 degree but nothing about pressing it which would be nice if that was Play. Knob also isn't in the most ergonomic place.

HTB1G20JeJLO8KJjSZPcq6yV0FXaE.jpg

This looks like it could be the perfect DAP for me if it really does have 20+hour battery and not completely insane UI/UX. I asked the seller if it has gapless playback and if it can be controlled with an inline remote and got this promising reply:

Welcome to our new store.
C1 player have gapless playback, any other operation won't cause any silence or click sound except you pause or close the music on the current playing screen,power off etc.
C1 support bluetooth 4.0-4.2 version,and the support Remote volume+/- play/pause control.etc for bluetooth earphone. :)

Unfortunately there's only been 4 orders with no reviews placed yet and they won't be getting red back in stock for 3 weeks as it's Chinese New Year. I was dangerously close to getting a Sony NW-A37 but hopefully some reviews for this come in and change my mind.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fin...id=71d3f6b8-09a9-470b-940d-0a42590b0e3c&tpp=1

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,400 of 8,123
Alright that worked for me, I renamed the file to "AGPTEK_H50_I"... instead of the filename you need.
I have another problem that i was hoping new firmware would fix, any artist names that are too long for me get cut off. For example, "BADBADNOTGOOD" turns into "BADBADNOTG", however some other parts of the UI can show larger strings and it just scrolls it. Do you have this issue? Is there a fix?
I use the Folder Menu and the filenames are truncated like many players that have a simple file system based on the Fat 32 format. The file names on mine are truncated at 23 characters.
On the “Now Playing” screen where the information is taken from the tags the information scrolls for longer names.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #4,401 of 8,123
This looks like it could be the perfect DAP for me if it really does have 20+hour battery and not completely insane UI/UX. I asked the seller if it has gapless playback and if it can be controlled with an inline remote and got this promising reply:

Unfortunately there's only been 4 orders with no reviews placed yet and they won't be getting red back in stock for 3 weeks as it's Chinese New Year. I was dangerously close to getting a Sony NW-A37 but hopefully some reviews for this come in and change my mind.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fin...id=71d3f6b8-09a9-470b-940d-0a42590b0e3c&tpp=1
Have to agree that this does look promising. The first time it was mentioned I wanted to just go ahead and get one but I'd just gotten burned by the Xduoo Nano D3 and disappointed by the Nintaus X10.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #4,402 of 8,123
Hello guys.
I was wondering about the output impedance of the zishan z3. As far as I know, the ziahan z1 had like 100 ohm of impedance (a monstrosity), it coulcohave changed to the z3 model but i don't know. Does anyone here have the z3?

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #4,403 of 8,123
Hello everybody,
I have Aigo MP3 108 DAP and there's a problem with a volume control wheel. It works fine to increase the loudness but it's a hardship to decrease the volume. I was told that the problem is with the encoder and it should be oiled/lubricated. Has anybody oiled the DAP encoder wheel? If yes please share the experience.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #4,404 of 8,123
Have to agree that this does look promising. The first time it was mentioned I wanted to just go ahead and get one but I'd just gotten burned by the Xduoo Nano D3 and disappointed by the Nintaus X10.

I realised it's actual name is Amoi C1 and after some reverse image searching I found this with about a hundred 5 star and a single 1 star feedback. I'm getting increasingly excited/glad I haven't spent 3x the price on the Sony I was eyeing…
https://item.jd.com/25271533602.html

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #4,405 of 8,123
I've seen/played with that one courtesy of a friend at work and it looks neat. It's not my particular cup of tea, I already have a Clip+ so not looking for a small player. But I do appreciate the scroll wheel being on the front of the device and it sounded really good. Punchy bass, slightly rolled-off treble, sounded great with some heavy rock (Mastodon, The Sword)

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #4,406 of 8,123
I've seen/played with that one courtesy of a friend at work and it looks neat. It's not my particular cup of tea, I already have a Clip+ so not looking for a small player. But I do appreciate the scroll wheel being on the front of the device and it sounded really good. Punchy bass, slightly rolled-off treble, sounded great with some heavy rock (Mastodon, The Sword)
Do you remember if it had gapless playback?

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #4,407 of 8,123
Get the new items the Xunsound XS01 and F Audio S1! Here together with Ruizu A50, front and back
IMG_20180209_212415.jpg
IMG_20180209_212234.jpg

Here with same carrying case, provided with both XS01and S1. Buttons and display looks same. S1 is screwless, with acrylic finish on front and back very well made. Edges not rounded but not too sharp. XS01 has rounded edges in height, but on top and bottom edges are rough and quite sharp, where the removable panels are. So I want to look inside XS01...
IMG_20180209_211344.jpg
IMG_20180209_131630.jpg
the
Opamps are Opa627ap, and notice the embossed writing under the play/pause button, says PALY/pause haha.

First observations... both no have gapless playback, S1 have Bluetooth, equalizer (so so quality, and anyway I never use EQ) and an "in" jack that I don't know for what, and resume play working well.
XS01 is more audiophile, no BT and no EQ, two out jacks, a PO out very powerful and a LO out made for sensitive, low impedance phones, actually too weak for my Ultimate Ears ue900s, so I go with PO (that I can't use at max volume, too high!)
The UI is simple on both, S1 is little more complicated due to the lack of power on-off menu and back buttons, the central button works as power on-off by long press, play-pause by click and menu access by short press (around half second) while the left button works as Back (the right button is delete song when in the track list)
A drawback in XS01 is rew-ff, it depends on track lenght... the longer is the now playing track the faster is rew-ff speed! In case of long tracks, 30-60 or more minutes, rew-ff may skip several minutes every second making it uncontrollable, and elapsed time indicator become wrong... Another downside of XS01is resume play not supported... is selectable in menu on or off, but if is set off when turn on the player restarts from the first track in the folder ; if set on restarts from begin of track that was listening to, not from the point where the track was interrupted. Hope a firmware update...
Display clear with white writing, not blue as it may appear on pictures.
Very first impression on SQ... S1 is very good, XS01 is great, that makes forgive the downsides!

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #4,409 of 8,123
Get the new items the Xunsound XS01 and F Audio S1! Here together with Ruizu A50, front and back
Here with same carrying case, provided with both XS01and S1. Buttons and display looks same. S1 is screwless, with acrylic finish on front and back very well made. Edges not rounded but not too sharp. XS01 has rounded edges in height, but on top and bottom edges are rough and quite sharp, where the removable panels are. So I want to look inside XS01... the
Opamps are Opa627ap, and notice the embossed writing under the play/pause button, says PALY/pause haha.

First observations... both no have gapless playback, S1 have Bluetooth, equalizer (so so quality, and anyway I never use EQ) and an "in" jack that I don't know for what, and resume play working well.
XS01 is more audiophile, no BT and no EQ, two out jacks, a PO out very powerful and a LO out made for sensitive, low impedance phones, actually too weak for my Ultimate Ears ue900s, so I go with PO (that I can't use at max volume, too high!)
The UI is simple on both, S1 is little more complicated due to the lack of power on-off menu and back buttons, the central button works as power on-off by long press, play-pause by click and menu access by short press (around half second) while the left button works as Back (the right button is delete song when in the track list)
A drawback in XS01 is rew-ff, it depends on track lenght... the longer is the now playing track the faster is rew-ff speed! In case of long tracks, 30-60 or more minutes, rew-ff may skip several minutes every second making it uncontrollable, and elapsed time indicator become wrong... Another downside of XS01is resume play not supported... is selectable in menu on or off, but if is set off when turn on the player restarts from the first track in the folder ; if set on restarts from begin of track that was listening to, not from the point where the track was interrupted. Hope a firmware update...
Display clear with white writing, not blue as it may appear on pictures.
Very first impression on SQ... S1 is very good, XS01 is great, that makes forgive the downsides!

LO is not made for sensitive, low impedance phones, it's Line Out for external amplification, fyi..

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #4,410 of 8,123
LO is not made for sensitive, low impedance phones, it's Line Out for external amplification, fyi..
Hi, as I can see LO can be used as Line out but being variable not fixed I think is also for phones. At max volume with my ue900s I may use LO when I want listen low level, just can't listen loud. So usually I use PO, carefully as its too loud at max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back