Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 9, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #2,417 of 8,123
What seller did you use to get upgraded version? Thanks.

It's not available yet as far as I know - at least I haven't come across it yet. I'm getting the upgraded model from Penon Audio. They told me it will be available at the end of this month.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #2,419 of 8,123
What is the upgraded version? Are there any details around for it?

Cheers

All I know so far is that the original stated features are now working as intended (24bit/DSD playback etc). Whether they've fixed the default EQ off playback is what I'm most interested in at this stage but don't have confirmation on that fix yet.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,422 of 8,123
Yes, owning a Mr. Robo means I have to keep it in my pocket and operate it there when in public. 
tongue.gif

I got it from a from another member here for cheap. Because it is my first DAP, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but the sound quality is a decent upgrade from anything I have listened to. It's a large enough improvement in sound quality over my School MBP for me to go get it and listen to it instead. 

The battery life is freaking insane, I charge it once a week, if even. The UI is very responsive, and the wheel is fun to muck round with. It has microphone port that can power my little condenser mic which is real noice for 'much better than smartphone recording.'
It's quite a solid thing. It's grown on me to be honest. Even if I get something better and hate it, it will be a good present for my dad. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If I can update the firmware, that would be fantastic. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #2,424 of 8,123
  It's a shame that you hadn't waited for the upgraded version but with some luck that might be the one you get. If you get yours before me feel free to start a dedicated thread. The only reason I didn't do so myself was because of my disappointment with the first version but hopefully I'll have good things to say about it soon. Some positive notes are the stellar battery life and solid construction.

Should i hold off on buying  for a little bit then?

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,428 of 8,123
A quick review: :smiley:

- great build quality and components, it has a lot juice to power earphones up to 600ohms

- warm analogue sound signature, good vocals, rich bass going deep, highs a bit recessed but of good quality,

- battery life about 10-12h I guess

- the firmware doesn't amaze with a wide choice of options, it plays only dsd, wav, flac and mp3 files, it is the weakest point, fortunately it is updated about once a month

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,429 of 8,123
A quick review: :smiley:

- great build quality and components, it has a lot juice to power earphones up to 600ohms

- warm analogue sound signature, good vocals, rich bass going deep, highs a bit recessed but of good quality,

- battery life about 10-12h I guess

- the firmware doesn't amaze with a wide choice of options, it plays only dsd, wav, flac and mp3 files, it is the weakest point, fortunately it is updated about once a month

Wow that is a pretty impactful review. Makes me wanna hit that buy button now.

Sorry to bother you further but what phones did you run them with?

This might really tick all the right boxes for me to join the Z6 club.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,430 of 8,123
All the ones I have in my profile, to my ears it sounds the best with TY HI-Z 32 and Tennmak Piano, then KINERA BD005, KZ ZST, VE MONK+.

Z6 sounds very good with Urbanfun, I am waiting for them, bought after testing my friend's pair.

Z6 can also work as an USB DAC if there is such a need for someone.

However, take a look at a new player Cayin N3, it should be released soon for about 150usd and it looks very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

• XTF1
Back