obscure bands
Feb 26, 2006 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

twc5964

500+ Head-Fier
Ever since I saw the Sex Pistols in 1978 when I was 13 I was hooked on any form of alternative music.I'm curious to see if anyone here can recommend some bands I may not be familiar with.

If interested this is The Bongos "Bulrushes"-check it out..this is good stuff from the early 80's:
http://webpages.charter.net/twc5964/...0Bulrushes.wma

I doubt i'll get many bites on this thread but thought i'd give it a shot anyway.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 49
grab some out of asmox's in heavy rotation list for a starters
k1000smile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
I'm curious to see if anyone here can recommend some bands I may not be familiar with.

If interested this is The Bongos "Bulrushes"-check it out..this is good stuff from the early 80's

I have one of those early Bongos records. I'll have to dig it out as it's been years. Might be the Beat Hotel since that's when they got kind of radio friendly. Still pretty good.

Obscure bands like that? Or just obscure in general? Most of the bands and albums talked about around here are pretty obscure, aren't they? Well, except for a lot of the more popular indie rock, but still ... my heavy rotation list is kind of obscure, isn't it?
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 49
Thanks for the replies so far. Really,I'm interested in rock,Indie,punk etc....hopefully,older material.I hardly hear anything modern that floats my boat.

I did hear a few Modest Mouse tunes from their first that was very good.

I've never heard the Lotus Eaters and was able to grab a tune from their early material that I never knew who it was and it's a beautiful well recorded tune.

I'm open for anything basically....just trying to get turned onto anything now that I have all the headphone gear and amps I need......time to focus on more music.

Bands I've always jammed to over the years just to give anyone an idea:

Joy Division
early Replacements
Section 25
Adverts
Gun Club
Robin Trower
Sabbath(any and all)
Hawkwind
Gudalcanal Diary
many home comps of pld punk/alternative
Tiny Lights
1979 Ruts
Early Colin Newman
Sonny Vincent solo and EarlyTestors material
Siouxie
Bongos
Richard Barone(Bongos-solo)
The Passions
Early Judas Priest
Early Iron Maiden(Paul Dianno)
Early Modern English(similar to Joy Division..yes !)
100 Flowers
The Wake
Audioslave
Crippled Pilgrims(great under rated alt. band from early 80's)
Opal
Ten Years After
Pylon
Charlatans U.K.
Chameleons
Early Colin newman
1976 Rush Live
Early Ozzy
Early Clan of Xymox
Jonathan Richmon
Bpeople
The Church
Old Scorpions
Jethro tull
M.I.A.
Goverment Issue
The Ruts
Jimi
10 years After
Pylon(Athens, Ga.)
Kilkenny Cats(Athens,Ga.)
Fields of the Nephilm
Mighty Lemon Drops
Early Red Kross
Deep Purple
Mark Riley + The Creepers(ex fall guitarist)
Early- Fall
Early Romeo Void
Blind Melon(love this band)
Grey Matter(excellent 80's dc punk)
Theatre of Hate
AC/DC (Bon Scott era)
Sensational Alex Harvey Band

This just to name a few lol and I realize I contradicted myself as some of these bands are not obscure. I will research and sample some tunes from those mentioned...thanks !

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
Thanks for the replies so far. Really,I'm interested in rock,Indie,punk etc....hopefully,older material.I hardly hear anything modern that floats my boat.

The Sound. From The Lions Mouth is one great album! Released in 1981 and just reissued a few years ago with one hidden bonus track. Very cool. One of the best discoveries I've made hanging around places like this.

They're burning witches
up on punishment hill .....
And here it comes, a new dark age

Cul de Sac. From the late 90s check out China Gate or Crashes To Light. Great instrumental music, with a bit of surf, and middle eastern, and Eno influence. Very cool 90s post rock.

Califone. Already said too much around here about these guys, but one of my favorite modern bands. Kind of like the Exile-era Glimmer Twins hooking up with some expert acoustic folk pickers, and then running into Brian Eno and deciding to try out some of those old folk songs on Harry Smith's Anthology. Love it all, but check out Quicksand/Cradlesnakes (or ask DLeeWebb what he thinks
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Solex. Love the Low Kick and Hard Bop album. Sample-crazed Dutch woman who owns a record shop and has a great love of music. Wacky, but totally loveable.

Mink DeVille. Their debut is one of those albums that I always love to toss out as an overlooked classic. Called Cabretta and produced by the late, great, and legendary Jack Nitzsche. Maybe not quite as obscure as some of the others, but not to be missed.

The Feelies. Crazy Rhythms. Yeah, not too obscure either since Weezer used the cover idea for their debut, but a real classic from that early 80s that still hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

Been listening a LOT to the new one from Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3, but check out his debut from the early 80s with his band The Dream Syndicate. The Days of Wine and Roses. Brilliant. Rhino remastered it a couple years ago and added the EP as a bonus.

This kind of post could go on until my keyboard breaks, so I'll give it a rest now
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 49
Enverxis and Asmox...wheres the list of 100 bands!?
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 49
Thanks..I have The Feelies and plenty of The Sound. Your right,this could go on forever but thanks just the same dude !

Ok,Califone,early Dream Syndicate,and Cul De Sac...cool ! More i'm not familiar with.I live in Alabama(redneck hell),so hopefully you guys will understand I no longer have any exposure to this genre of music.

I'll have to check out J.Kane.....thanks.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 49
One of my favorite albums from many years ago is Echo and the Bunneymen "Heaven Up Here"-anyone like this or heard it ? Early C.S. Angels or Comsat Angels is very good as well.

Please..post more bands any and all....Davey,if time permits....list more.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Enverxis and Asmox...wheres the list of 100 bands!?
tongue.gif

Rock, Indie and Punk isnt really my thing
tongue.gif
actually I dont like any Punk or Indie that ive heard.

I'll do the best I can

VAST
Blackmores Night
Brave
Drain Sth
Haunted by Angels
Jack off Jill
Scarling
Kittie
My Ruin
Lana Lane
Lullacry
Tapping the Vein
Kidneythieves
The Gathering
Tura Satana
White Zombie (wasnt obscure 10 years ago
tongue.gif
)

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 49
Ahhh... all the music I grew up with. Need to dig out those old Guadalcanal Diary albums!

Some others that I recommend (though they may very well be in your playlist):

The Chameleons - With everyone talking about how Interpol sound like Joy Division, I think they sound a lot more like The Chameleons. In Shreds - one of the best 80's singles.

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry - Heroin goth at it's finest. 'nuff said.

Legendary Pink Dots - Goth's very own Hawkwind, with their 999 albums. If you don't have Crushed Velvet Apocapylse, I would highly recommend.

Killing Joke - Especially if you look towards the early years, like Fire Dances. Dark, brooding and angry. Too bad Jaz Coleman (the singer) went crazy!

Stepping away from the Goth Scene and a little more modern...

The Black Heart Procession - I don't know how ot exactly describe their sound, but it has a lot of the same qualities of Nick Cave.

Secret Machines. Prog rock... rocks! Beyond King Crimson and a couple early Pink Floyd albums, Prog's never really done it for me. These guys, though, have are a lot of fun!

The Clientele - Can't get enough of their reverb drenched 60's California-influenced music. Basically, music for a summer day...

That's a start...

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #15 of 49
Arctic Monkeys...I don't know how obscure they are...I believe they're bigger in the UK but they're getting some play here and I like them a lot...give them a try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back