Obravo HAMT-3 MkII - exceeding all expectations
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dazzert318

100+ Head-Fier
After auditioning for several weeks, I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of Obravo HAMT-3 MkII headphones. These really are a steal for the price especially if you like micro detail and plenty of bass. From my point of view they exceed the performance of most headphones in the same price bracket (circa £785) and I’ve certainly tried a few from Sennheiser, Audeze, Denon, Sony, Fostex and others. Imagine a mash-up of the Campfire Audio Cascade (bass and mids) with the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow (Highs) and you won’t be far off the sound signature. Great experience dealing with Phil over at Audio Concierge who couldn’t have been more helpful during the buying process. Currently listening with the Shanling M6 and the combination is sublime. Happy days.....

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I’ll try to get some measurements, the ones that you’ve referenced are the previous first generation HAMT-1 headphones. I suspect the HAMT-3 MkII is more refined and has been through a number of improvements over the previous generation.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Any measurements available? This hilarious FR that's become a meme on its own is not inspiring: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ObravoHAMT1.pdf
I owned these for a couple of years. The frequency aberrations are real. The lower midrange has a huge suckout, which separates the bass from the midrange and seems to isolate the two regions. Having said that, it could still be a fun listen with a huge loudspeaker sound.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 7
The HAMT1 sounded pretty awful, had some weird vocal sound that you just could never get right no matter what you paired it with. HAMT3II is a completely different kettle of cheese. I'm quite proud of it. Now we will be fine tuning a HAMT1II so it doesn't sound weird but actually performs as good as it's spec sheet.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Any measurements available? This hilarious FR that's become a meme on its own is not inspiring: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ObravoHAMT1.pdf
Well, Audioconcierge lists the 3Mkii as its number one audiophile headphone beating out the likes of the LCD-4z, HD800/S, Arya, and the Utopia, lol. They also sell it along with the others in their webstore. Although limited to electrets, I haven't had good experiences with full-size headphones with hybrid drivers. There's always a huge crossover dip in the FR where one driver dips out and the other kicks in, as exemplified by the hilarious FR chart published by Tyll. Who knows? Obravo may have improved since then, but I'll need to see some hard evidence first. The only thing that interests me about them is the potential for pad rolling their Alcantara pads with some of my old school Hifiman cans if those Alcantara pads can be purchased at a reasonable price.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 7
I've been using the headphones for over half a year now and I'm really impressed. I like its bass and the wonderful mids and highs. It is also very easy to control. So far, none of my over-ears have managed this so well and in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back