Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Oct 30, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #6,678 of 7,478
Oct 31, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #6,680 of 7,478
Went to an audio exhibition in Indonesia and had a chance to demo a few pieces of gear. Link below are my impressions in the ZMF amp thread, as I tried it mostly with ZMF headphones. In particular I was curious with Atrium. I left some picture of tube amps in this thread. Got to try DCA expanse as well. Sounds similar to HEDDphone but with less soundstage but more comfortable (and expensive). DCA provided slightly higher clarity and soundstage still feels out-of-your-head.

I think if you are curious on demoing the Telemachus, there are some differences, but the Cayin HA300 MK2 provides a sufficiently good impression of what it sounds like. In general, the Telemachus has higher clarity, soundstage and generally feels a lot less congested-sounding (when evaluating under show conditions). To my ears, the 'voicing' are along with the same lines when comparing the Cayin HA300 MK2 with Telemachus on SS rectifier.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/page-35

Attachments

• IMG20221030182302.jpg
    IMG20221030182302.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221030185650.jpg
    IMG20221030185650.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221030185654.jpg
    IMG20221030185654.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #6,682 of 7,478
@TheMiddleSky didn't it was worth comparing Cayin HA300 Mk2 with Telemachus but now you're telling me they are the same voicing.

Bear in mind it was show conditions for me. The Tele is a much-improved version from a technical perspective, but with the Cayin 300b it shared some similar sonic characteristics.

Based on talking to him in real-life, I think he meant that from a technical perspective the ultrasonic amps are in a higher league despite the similar pricing, hence its not really worth comparing the two.

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #6,683 of 7,478
Bear in mind it was show conditions for me. The Tele is a much-improved version from a technical perspective, but with the Cayin 300b it shared some similar sonic characteristics.

Based on talking to him in real-life, I think he meant that from a technical perspective the ultrasonic amps are in a higher league despite the similar pricing, hence its not really worth comparing the two.

That's the reason why I ask him to compare Cayn HA300 Mk2 with Telemachus because I have to be impartial. I actually consider the Cayin before ordering Telemachus. They are not the same price point btw. I could have gotten the the Cayin with tubes included for less than Telemachus without tubes.

However I'm completely worn over by Odyssey voicing. My reasoning is if I can have a 300b amp with similar Odyssey voicing, then that's what I want. So much so I sold off Destiny for that goal.

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #6,684 of 7,478
That's the reason why I ask him to compare Cayn HA300 Mk2 with Telemachus because I have to be impartial. I actually consider the Cayin before ordering Telemachus. They are not the same price point btw. I could have gotten the the Cayin with tubes included for less than Telemachus without tubes.

However I'm completely worn over by Odyssey voicing. My reasoning is if I can have a 300b amp with similar Odyssey voicing, then that's what I want. So much so I sold off Destiny for that goal.

Ref. to price I was comparing at my local prices at the present currency rates (IDR) before taking into consideration import duties, so that's why there may differences. Here, tele works out to be few hundred bucks more expensive than cayin 300 in its 'stock' form before you add options and other logistic fees to the former.

I can't comment on how it sounds relative to the Odyssey. All I can say is that the Tele in SS mode had wider soundstage, focused imaging, had better speed and overall sense of transparency. They shared a characteristic in that both had soft leading and trailing edges in notes. Looking from that viewpoint, I felt some sense of familiarity when I tried the Cayin 300 with the HEDDPhone.

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #6,688 of 7,478
Telemachus has to be the pinnacle of that classic tube amp sound everyone chases.

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #6,690 of 7,478
My Odyssey was originally supposed to have Sowter mains transformer as everyone knows but Sowter stops customised mains halfway while waiting for it. So Mr Hammond came into the picture, all the way from Canada.

Odyssey at one day old.

IMG_2876.jpg
You showed me yours...

I'll show you mine...

A beefy Hammond mains, and the custom Sowters.

IMG_20221031_223158.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back