Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #3,016 of 7,457
If you're looking for 12AT7's, these Footscray plant Brimars are pretty special. Actually, very special. I won't take credit for discovering them -- it was the guys over in the Schiit Mjolnir thread. I ordered a couple and have to agree with them (and I'm not even much of a Brimar fanboy).

https://pulsetubestore.com/products...play-ready-to-use?_pos=3&_sid=169a59abc&_ss=r

Damn, just too late, I just ordered a 1960's or possibly 1970's Brimar. Watford valves rated them so I took the chance :thumbsup:.

Brent Jessee said the later Brimars aren't that much different in sound so I'll have to take his word!

Edit: Was thinking of ordering the 12AT7 you linked to to compare to but my amp needs the higher gain 12AX7 really

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #3,017 of 7,457
I've been listening in UL mode with EL12 spez for the last hour. Powerful and authoritative. Super quiet with He1000se. So much headroom with this amp. Volume knob is only at 9 o'clock. I've no doubt Odyssey will drive Abyss and Susvara very well.

Telefunken tubes are known for their sparkling high end and EL11 and EL12 spez exhibit that but still present a very lush tube tone that is a touch liquid. This combination is outstanding with tight bass that hits with impact.

@DecentLevi this is to alert you that EL11 and EL12 spez finally presents themselves in their glorious tone. This is the best I've heard these tubes. A far cry from what is happening with them in Euforia. Now another picture and I even put in a matching color RCA 6SN7gt grey smoke glass. :)

IMG_2940.jpg
I knew you would like those tubes much better in this amp.....enjoy! :relaxed:

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #3,018 of 7,457
Try the 12au7 first. 🙂
Remember in the "little dot mk6" threads, I must have rolled every 12 pin in existence (almost) on that amp.
That amp (ironically) had the "advantage"(?) of very noticable tube rolling differences, by not being "biased" in the optimal linear range.
Right, yes how could I forget ☺️✌️.
I have bugleboy & yes they are great, but I never thought to consider their sound to be very similar to the Philips miniwatt. Yet, who knows which specific tube they talking about.
Yes exactly, I have a Philips Miniwatt with small "o" getter which sounds quite good and a Philips Herleen with a large "o" getter which is vastly superior and is my "go to" valve on the baby amp. The one with the small getter I can't confirm exactly what it is because there are no codes unfortunately.
I only ever heard "military tubes", which makes me highly doubt any company would think of using the word "medical" for making improvements.
Never even seen light blue painted tips that color. Guess you learn something every day, lol 🤥😁
Yep, it makes sense though that "medical grade selected" tubes would be appropriate for say heart monitors, what could be more important?
Satisfied with all those 12pins?
Look!😯
Screenshot_20210815-213209.jpg
Maybe Try this? 😄
Tempting lol :raised_hand::sos::no_entry:.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #3,019 of 7,457
I knew you would like those tubes much better in this amp.....enjoy! :relaxed:

Joe, I did but what followed next will make Johnny be good become Johnny be bad. These EL39s will make Joe Bonamassa realized that he can make his blues music more blue and the drums and bass notes will kill some pigeons. Hell it might even kill some eagles.

Behold La Radiotechnique EL39 in combination with Siemens EL11 in UL mode. I'm digging up my blues and rock music now.

IMG_2934.jpg

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #3,020 of 7,457
Aug 16, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,022 of 7,457
They are expensive ! This one has red tip and says 'special quality'. :relaxed:

1629086050702.png

I think Special Quality means 10,000 hour life, but I have not been able to find an answer if the sound quality is better in long life tubes. Mullard made Millennium 10,000 hour tubes, and Russian tubes with the DR suffix are also supposed to last 10,000 hours.
Most tubes are rated 3000 - 5000 hours, but many old shoulder type large tubes can last 10,000 hours or more.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3,024 of 7,457
I just pulled out a 6201 SQ pinched waist Philips made by Valvo that has never been used. It is a robust piece of glass with triple mica. Somebody has written 'longlife' on the box. It is warming up right now...
Not sure about the triple mica, I had a triple mica sylvania and was pretty unimpressed. Probably just for reduced microphonics but they are hyped up these days.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,025 of 7,457
Not sure about the triple mica, I had a triple mica sylvania and was pretty unimpressed. Probably just for reduced microphonics but they are hyped up these days.
First and foremost it is the sound that counts. And the sound depends on synergy with a lot of things, not least your ears and preferences.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,026 of 7,457
@bcowen dammit I just ordered that footscray factory 12AT7 tube you mentioned, that's a good price. I will compare it to the later Brimar which I'm waiting to receive.

Nothing will make me change my mind over my Philips, which has hardly every been pulled from its socket though, that will always be my main go to tube. The thing about it is it works with every type of music whereas my Mazda silver anode, which is also a great tube, doesn't really work with music that's already fairly thin and delicate sounding.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #3,027 of 7,457
Came in a Havana Cuba box and proudly GE. :)

IMG_2924.jpg

Mullard 5U4G - Made in USA ? @gibosi what's happening here?
IMG_2925.jpg

Sourcing tubes from other manufacturers, relabeling them and marketing them as their own was standard operating procedure. Generally speaking, Mullard is more "honest" than most and reliably indicates the originating country.

As I have very few US-made 5U4G, I can't say who actually manufactured this tube, but it reminds me of a National Union.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #3,028 of 7,457
I just pulled out a 6201 SQ pinched waist Philips made by Valvo that has never been used. It is a robust piece of glass with triple mica. Somebody has written 'longlife' on the box. It is warming up right now...

Mine is a double mica. It is a brand new pair with perfect lettering. See how I have already smear a bit of the wordings now. Oh well, tubes are meant to be used. That's according to me. :ksc75smile:

IMG_2945.jpg

First and foremost it is the sound that counts. And the sound depends on synergy with a lot of things, not least your ears and preferences.

That is very true but there's usually a general consensus on certain tubes being better. That or you have people who have tried it and love it more.

I do definitely agree with you there on the tube's synergy with the amp and also the associated gear. In Odyssey, over the last 4 days, I haven't come across a tube combination that I didn't like. I have also start loving these small tubes now. Think I will get a couple more. In fact I've Philips Miniwatt 12au7 and 12at7 already set aside for me from another friend.

Sourcing tubes from other manufacturers, relabeling them and marketing them as their own was standard operating procedure. Generally speaking, Mullard is more "honest" than most and reliably indicates the originating country.

As I have very few US-made 5U4G, I can't say who actually manufactured this tube, but it reminds me of a National Union.

No way for me to compare 5u4g as I have 2 that are made in USA now. I cannot compare it with gz34, 32 also as it is use with different power tubes. I have no issues with the made in USA Mullard 5u4g though. It just integrates into the rest of the tube combination for some sweet music. That's the word that keeps coming to my mind when I try to express how Odyssey sound.

The sweetness stamps from very clear and extended treble but it is smooth at the same time. It's an enigma. Coupled with an astounding but controlled bass and an engaging midrange, I've no doubt it is the best sounding tube amp I've heard. Not forgetting it is very quiet and it is a joy to change tubes with those Yamamoto sockets. It's the whole package coming together. Tomas has nailed it here.

Oh I forget to report that it is a cool tube amp even after 8 hours of usage. The only parts that are hot are the tubes and the mains transformer. The other parts are just lukewarm. The chassis is still cool to the touch ! This was one of my requirement. I told Tomas at the beginning that I don't want a hot amp. I certainly don't want it hot like the La Figaro 339 or the Ragnarok version 1. Those who owns those amps will know what I mean.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,029 of 7,457
I tried Radiotron 807 in Odyssey as the last setup last night before I retire for bed. Running all these power tubes through just to make sure they play well in Odyssey and they do. My usual obsession with quietness applies. They are all quiet even with my low impedance He1000se.

I will summarise on the tubes after I've been through it all thoroughly. Expect that in a year's time. :ksc75smile: The 2 tubes that did stand out in a field of excellent power tubes are EL12 spez and EL39 but I'll know better after I have spend sufficient time with all of them.

Tubes in Odyssey are RCA 6sn7gt grey smoke glass, Siemen EL11, Radiotron 807 and Mullard 5u4g.

IMG_2943.jpg

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,030 of 7,457
No way for me to compare 5u4g as I have 2 that are made in USA now. I cannot compare it with gz34, 32 also as it is use with different power tubes.

All the made-in-Britain 5U4G I have seen appear to me to be modified FW4/500. Rather than designing a completely new tube, it was much easier and efficient to simply swap out the 4-volt heater for a 5-volt and install an octal base. The British Tungsram pictured some pages back is a good example. It looks identical to a Tungsram FW4/500. So to be sure you are getting a British-made 5U4G just compare the construction to a British-made FW4/500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back