Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 15, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #2,956 of 7,457
I made it !!! Soundstage is amazing here.

40855AEA-FABC-4814-83F9-025AF0F824F8.jpeg

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #2,959 of 7,457
Still running through my tubes quickly to see if it works. First time listening to EL39. Tubes are new but the tone is there. Take note guys. This is a gem. Bryant get yourself a pair and the adapters. Message me if you don't know where.

This might be even better than 807. If I have wall of fame for tubes, it's going there right now. Never mind that it's right out of the box. That bass. I'm not a bass head but this tube has the punch and depth. One of the best in this show business.

I can't wait to try it in Odyssey.

IMG_2916.jpg

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,960 of 7,457
These 2 amps have killer tone ! Going through my tube boxes and I discovered I have a pair of Siemens ECC81 (12at7) NIB. These have never been use before. :relaxed:

So in it goes in Odyssey. If I thought I have heard the best, I'm in for a big surprise. This tiny Siemens tubes change everything. It lift the veil from the Shuguang KT88 thousand treasure and I've not heard my LCD4 sound so dynamic and vibrant ! Tomas in making it possible for me to use these small tubes - 12au7, 12at7 and 12ax7 has open up the myriads of tones that is possible with Odyssey. Definitely need one year to find my favorite tube combination or I may never find out. I could possibly have many favorite combinations. So be it.

IMG_2917.jpg

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,961 of 7,457
As long as we've veered slightly off topic, allow me the liberty to recommend the below album. It was recorded in DXD and if you even remotely enjoy piano and vocal jazz, the combination of Ms. Barber's phenomenal artistry and pristine, state of the art recording process should enable Odyssey and other high end gear to deliver their best:

Glad you posted this, she is my absolute favourite, I've got all the albums pretty much but didn't know about this recent release! Not only her but the musicians are phenomenal, and the record production is always superb as you say!!

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,962 of 7,457
Glad you posted this, she is my absolute favourite, I've got all the albums pretty much but didn't know about this recent release! Not only her but the musicians are phenomenal, and the record production is always superb as you say!!

Yes I've listen to this town several times today with all my headphones. Now I'm on HD650 powered by Odyssey. I can guarantee you that it's no longer this town. It has to be some other town.

Turning around I was shocked to see the mess. What happen to the clean desk policy?

IMG_2919.jpg

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #2,963 of 7,457
Definitely need one year to find my favorite tube combination or I may never find out.
I think never :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

These 2 amps have killer tone ! Going through my tube boxes and I discovered I have a pair of Siemens ECC81 (12at7) NIB. These have never been use before. :relaxed:

So in it goes in Odyssey. If I thought I have heard the best, I'm in for a big surprise. This tiny Siemens tubes change everything. It lift the veil from the Shuguang KT88 thousand treasure and I've not heard my LCD4 sound so dynamic and vibrant ! Tomas in making it possible for me to use these small tubes - 12au7, 12at7 and 12ax7 has open up the myriads of tones that is possible with Odyssey.
WOW.. what a blast!

You are having way too much fun.. and now it's time for your medication :thermometer_face:.

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #2,964 of 7,457
Tomas in making it possible for me to use these small tubes - 12au7, 12at7 and 12ax7 has open up the myriads of tones that is possible with Odyssey.
Yes, I love the 12ax7 family, haven't tried the 12au7 or 12at7, I must get on to that! I believe these tubes have surpassed the usual function in guitar amps and I have totally re-evaluated them, at first I didn't really rate them due to some comments about them in audio circles but I've got past that stage now thankfully.

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #2,965 of 7,457
You are having way too much fun..

The weekend is almost over. 2 days pass like lightning and it was way too much fun. Now I'm winding down. I had to try Destiny again because after 2 days I've have forgotten how the 300b sound lol.

So Chameleon temporary goes off bench and Destiny comes on. On the first song, I know why I love the 300b tone so much. When Chameleon goes, this will be my setup .... until the next craze strikes. :)

IMG_2921.jpg

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,966 of 7,457
Just been looking for 12Ax7 tubes as you do and I've come across this from Brent Jessee of audiotubes.com who is knowledgeable and responds to enquiries: "...and the tubes with blue tips that were intended for critical medical equipment."

Also: "...The Philips Miniwatt series, usually made in the same Heerlen, Holland factory that produced the Amperex Bugleboy tubes, are a great alternative to the increasingly rare Bugleboy. They are identical internally, carry the same factory code markings, and sound the same."

So tubes apparently were produced specially for medical uses... and had painted tips! Also the Philips Miniwatt are indistinguishable from the Bugleboy type!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,968 of 7,457
Might be true but could also have been selected - just like C3gS. That would be my guess.
My guess too. It's not like they made production runs of "medical grade" tubes -- they were likely just tested with the best ones selected. Could have been done at the factory, but I've never seen any information elsewhere to support that. Brent Jesse has a lot of good information, but some of what he posts on his site is only his opinion rather than verifiable fact. I could certainly be wrong about the tips being painted at the factory, but Brent Jesse is not the source that would convince me otherwise.

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,969 of 7,457
Might be true but could also have been selected - just like C3gS. That would be my guess.
Correct! I should have said they were "screened" for medical purposes, also some were marked "selected tube" on the outside to signify it's purpose.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,970 of 7,457
Still running through my tubes quickly to see if it works. First time listening to EL39. Tubes are new but the tone is there. Take note guys. This is a gem. Bryant get yourself a pair and the adapters. Message me if you don't know where.

This might be even better than 807. If I have wall of fame for tubes, it's going there right now. Never mind that it's right out of the box. That bass. I'm not a bass head but this tube has the punch and depth. One of the best in this show business.
Yes EL39 is right up there. In the same family as 4654 (same tube - different base), EL50, 4699, etc. Predecessor to EL34. I've recently found a match to a 4654K that I had. Pretty tough to find. I'll post a picture later. 807 is closer to 6L6 I think, and in my DAC and preamp I prefer the EL34 (and relations) and KT66 over the 6L6.

My guess too. It's not like they made production runs of "medical grade" tubes -- they were likely just tested with the best ones selected. Could have been done at the factory, but I've never seen any information elsewhere to support that. Brent Jesse has a lot of good information, but some of what he posts on his site is only his opinion rather than verifiable fact. I could certainly be wrong about the tips being painted at the factory, but Brent Jesse is not the source that would convince me otherwise.
Yes Brent is a great source of info. And also opinion :) I can't fault the guy though. His website is a treasure trove of info that the most fervent tube roller can get lost in. His 12AX7 and 12AT7 sites are particularly informative, but you will be entering the blackhole of rabbit holes if you enter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back