Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 14, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,941 of 7,478
Anyone can be happy with either of these 2 tube amps. It will give a run with those established names and I've heard Wa33 and Auris Nirvana. If cost is no object, then definitely Odyssey because the execution is better, in terms of quietness and tone refinement but at the same time slam. Tube tone wise they are both so good.

Not forgetting Oblivion in the lower shelf. I had a quick listen amidst going from Odyssey to Chameleon. Oblivion still sound amazing and I love it. Bass is obviously less than Chameleon and Odyssey but Oblivion soundstage, clarity and details are outstanding. It's a great contrast with the other 2 amps.

IMG_2897.jpg
It is nice to have that variety. As I have said before, that variety is akin to: different seats in the same music venue for the same musical performance.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,942 of 7,478
It is nice to have that variety. As I have said before, that variety is akin to: different seats in the same music venue for the same musical performance.
Just make sure you buy tickets to every row seats. You have to sample it at different angles.

Aug 14, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,945 of 7,478
Thanks Mordy. Chameleon has been running for a week by Eric before he send it to me. Odyssey was run in for 2 days by Tomas. Of course I will put in more hours on both tubes and amps before my summations. Right now all you're hearing is my rumblings as I go.

It's going to take a while and at this rate, lockdown might be over by the time I finish. :) I don't plan to go through all my tubes because that will be done leisurely over a year. After the first week, it should be possible to suss out the amp sound signature.

Aug 14, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2,946 of 7,478
Thanks Mordy. Chameleon has been running for a week by Eric before he send it to me. Odyssey was run in for 2 days by Tomas. Of course I will put in more hours on both tubes and amps before my summations. Right now all you're hearing is my rumblings as I go.

It's going to take a while and at this rate, lockdown might be over by the time I finish. :) I don't plan to go through all my tubes because that will be done leisurely over a year. After the first week, it should be possible to suss out the amp sound signature.
Thanks. Maybe I missed the information, but can you you direct me to the specs for the two amps?

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #2,947 of 7,478
Chameleon - KT150 set amp.

. Mains transformer, output transformers and one choke (the 4 units on top of chassis with custom covers) are special orders from http://www.sacthailand.com/.
. Interstage transformers and another choke mounted inside chassis.
. Upgraded CMC sockets, RCA inputs and speaker outs.
. Point to point wiring.
. Drivers are 6EM7 or 6FD7 with adapters.
. Power tubes are KT**, EL34, 6550, 6L6*, 807, EL39, etc.
. GZ34 or equivalent tube rectifiers.
. Max power at 20 watts in UL mode into 8 ohms.
. 1/4 and xlr headphone outputs @ 4 ohms mount in the front panel.
. Switch for UL or triode. Speakers on / off switch. Surprisingly, there are a pair of switches for both functions and for both channels.
. I believe there is a load resistor at the headphone output. Normal practice when the amp is this powerful. You don't want your headphone drivers to fly into the pond nearby.

Price is the equivalent of a Toyota LandCruiser 200 GX Turbo-diesel. Choice of silver, gold or black front panel. Eric is nearly retirement or should I say retired but I have gotten to know him well and he trust me fully to entrust this amp to me for testing before I forward it to Bryant of USA.

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,948 of 7,478

You don't want your headphone drivers to fly into the pond nearby.
No worries. I'll fetch them while I'm getting the golf cart out. :laughing:

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #2,949 of 7,478
Odyssey - KT150 set amp.

. Special order Sowter output transformers from Sowter UK.
. Hammond mains transformer. This should have been made by Sowter but Sowter decided at the last minute that they will not continue to build custom mains transformer because it's not cost effective. Mustard !
. Mundorf S/G/O coupling caps and the Nichicon MUSE cathode bypass caps.
. Yamamoto sockets
. Drivers are EL11 or 6SL7. At the design stage I wanted to be able to use both together but Tomas advised against it, saying why would you when it will add distortions.
. 6SL7 slot can also use 6SN7 or 12a*7 or any suitable double triode with suitable adapters. Such as 6N7G, 6922, etc.
. Power tubes are KT**, EL34, 6550, 6L6GC, 807, EL39, etc but not the 6L6 family because of their lower voltage.
. Rectifier is GZ34 and all your fancy pansy GEC U52, Cossor 53ku, GZ32, GZ37, 5U4G, 596, We 422 if I can find one !
. Headphone output:
8R – 6.1W
20R – 4.75W
32R – 3.1W
50R – 2W
100R – 1.1W
200R – 551mW
300R – 403mW

. Speaker output:
4R - 10.6W
8R - 14.2W

. 1 xlr input and 2 RCA inputs
. speaker outputs
. Speaker on / off switch
. Impedance switch
. Feedback on / off switch for EL11
. UL / triode mode switch.

. 1/4 and xlr headphone output.

Choice of chassis - pure sterling silver like my Odyssey :wink: or Madagascar Ebony wood or Copper from Africa. No I lied but there's no limit to what chassis you want.

Price is the equivalent of a Lamborghini - cheapest model.

Power output quoted are in triode mode. UL will be more.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #2,950 of 7,478

. Mains transformer, output transformers and one choke (the 4 units on top of chassis with custom covers) are special orders from http://www.sacthailand.com/.
. Interstage transformers and another choke mounted inside chassis.
. Upgraded CMC sockets, RCA inputs and speaker outs.
. Point to point wiring.
. Drivers are 6EM7 or 6FD7 with adapters.
. Power tubes are KT**, EL34, 6550, 6L6*, 807, EL39, etc.
. GZ34 or equivalent tube rectifiers.
. Max power at 20 watts in UL mode into 8 ohms.
. 1/4 and xlr headphone outputs @ 4 ohms mount in the front panel.
. Switch for UL or triode. Speakers on / off switch. Surprisingly, there are a pair of switches for both functions and for both channels.
. I believe there is a load resistor at the headphone output. Normal practice when the amp is this powerful. You don't want your headphone drivers to fly into the pond nearby.

Price is the equivalent of a Toyota LandCruiser 200 GX Turbo-diesel. Choice of silver, gold or black front panel. Eric is nearly retirement or should I say retired but I have gotten to know him well and he trust me fully to entrust this amp to me for testing before I forward it to Bryant of USA.
The price of the Toyota LandCruiser starts at $81,000.

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #2,951 of 7,478
Odyssey - KT150 set amp.

. Special order Sowter output transformers from Sowter UK.
. Hammond mains transformer. This should have been made by Sowter but Sowter decided at the last minute that they will not continue to build custom mains transformer because it's not cost effective. Mustard !
. Mundorf S/G/O coupling caps and the Nichicon MUSE cathode bypass caps.
. Yamamoto sockets
. Drivers are EL11 or 6SL7. At the design stage I wanted to be able to use both together but Tomas advised against it, saying why would you when it will add distortions.
. 6SL7 slot can also use 6SN7 or 12a*7 or any suitable double triode with suitable adapters. Such as 6N7G, 6922, etc.
. Power tubes are KT**, EL34, 6550, 6L6GC, 807, EL39, etc but not the 6L6 family because of their lower voltage.
. Rectifier is GZ34 and all your fancy pansy GEC U52, Cossor 53ku, GZ32, GZ37, 5U4G, 596, We 422 if I can find one !
. Headphone output:
8R – 6.1W
20R – 4.75W
32R – 3.1W
50R – 2W
100R – 1.1W
200R – 551mW
300R – 403mW

. Speaker output:
4R - 10.6W
8R - 14.2W

. 1 xlr input and 2 RCA inputs
. speaker outputs
. Speaker on / off switch
. Impedance switch
. Feedback on / off switch for EL11
. UL / triode mode switch.

. 1/4 and xlr headphone output.

Choice of chassis - pure sterling silver like my Odyssey :wink: or Madagascar Ebony wood or Copper from Africa. No I lied but there's no limit to what chassis you want.

Price is the equivalent of a Lamborghini - cheapest model.
Cheapest Lamborghini starts at $211.000

Aug 15, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,955 of 7,478
Taking a break from Odyssey now. Climbing a hill. 😀

980D236E-C170-4052-B26A-644AF6532735.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back