Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 4, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #1,786 of 7,478
Interesting, I'm using a Neotech balanced cable as RCA (NEI-2001) and it's thick as a marker. Is your headphone cable gonna look more like this? But if it uses solid core wires it would be impractical for headphones and could break off from bending at the connectors. Keep me appraised. I'll need one like it, as well as a balanced one and maybe even a speaker --> headphone cable if if going that route is recommended for my amp, @SonicTrance - or would the headphone socket on either high or low have the same as speaker output? I'm thinking to go that way for any upcoming more power-hungry headphone.
Yes, the cable you mention looks thick with all the sleeving, and the wires are 3 different thicknesses, 22, 24 and 26AWG. That's the one I would go for unless I can get one from a seller here. The DIY cable would look like the one you linked to with 3 wires and XLR connectors if I go down that route, not much difference in price I don't think. The wires are quite thin but it would be much the same as my HiFiMan copper cable so not a problem. It would be multi stranded wires not solid, it would need to be soldered carefully to the headphone sockets to avoid the wires breaking.

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,789 of 7,478
I was more expecting low Z < 100 Ohm in speaker out rather than High Z.
It's an 8 ohm tap. Low Z is a 4 ohm tap and does not sound good with speakers as the gain is too low. The 4 ohm tap sounds great with headphones. The noise floor increases as the gain/impedance increases, so for headphones, which are sensitive, the lower impedance is better. Speakers can handle the added noise floor (inaudible) and benefits from the higher power. It's the same thing with high Z headphones.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #1,790 of 7,478
What a long weekend it has been. So many activities. Days just flies and the Mini Meet is over. Still haven't time to write up about the meet. Just chilling with music now and the 300b is just sublime with He1000se.

I'm dreaming about Odyssey now.

IMG_2167.jpg

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,791 of 7,478
A week has passed and I haven't post a thing. :wink: Well I've been really busy with work and that's a good excuse. However I've also been very well entertained in the realm of tube amps and music. I've been using McChanson's 300b and KT150 amps a lot the whole week with various headphones, specifically He1000se and He1000v2 and He6se.

The more I listen to these old school design SET amps the more I love the tone ... because of that I'm really looking forward to Odyssey. I'm more excited than ever now.

That's just a pair of current production Svetlana KT88 in the amp but it sounded great with few hours in it. Rectifier is a Philips Miniwatt GZ34 f33.

IMG_2178.jpg

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,792 of 7,478
A week has passed and I haven't post a thing. :wink: Well I've been really busy with work and that's a good excuse. However I've also been very well entertained in the realm of tube amps and music. I've been using McChanson's 300b and KT150 amps a lot the whole week with various headphones, specifically He1000se and He1000v2 and He6se.

The more I listen to these old school design SET amps the more I love the tone ... because of that I'm really looking forward to Odyssey. I'm more excited than ever now.

That's just a pair of current production Svetlana KT88 in the amp but it sounded great with few hours in it. Rectifier is a Philips Miniwatt GZ34 f33.

IMG_2178.jpg
You even got an old school digitor !
Nib-digitor-hand-held-digital-multimeter-Q1467-b-photo.jpg

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,794 of 7,478
You even got an old school digitor !
My friend gave me that. It's cheap ! Said that is accurate to about 90%. He has one that is accurate to 95%. :) In McChanson's amp, you have to change the bias for the power tubes. It's usually 50 or 60mV.

Odyssey will be auto bias. :) Can't wait to sample Odyssey with Sowter transformers because McChanson's amp with chinese transformers already sounded very good.

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,795 of 7,478
I would be very curious to know your impressions related to new production KT88 vs NOS KT88 and also what you think about KT150.
I'll prolong buying the GEC KT88. That will be the last purchase as it's an expensive pair of tubes. :) I've already sampled KT150 tubes earlier in one of McChanson's amp. I was rather surprise at how well it drives my He1000se. The mind doesn't hold memory well though because I've heard a lot of amps lately... so I need to sample KT150 again when Odyssey arrives. Lots of tubes waiting to be sampled with a brand new Odyssey. It can't get better than that.

Here's the the KT150 amp that I tried using speaker taps. Probably 2 months ago.

IMG_1930.jpg

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,796 of 7,478
I would be very curious to know your impressions related to new production KT88 vs NOS KT88 and also what you think about KT150.
@OctavianH I know you are an Elise owner and FWIW I tried GL KT150 in Elise driving headphones (ZMF Auteur) and it was a no go...very aggressive "in your face sound" and not very musically nuanced.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,797 of 7,478

SET's are more addicting than crack. Not that I have any personal experience with the latter, but enough experience with the former to know this is true. :sweat_smile:

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,798 of 7,478
SET's are more addicting than crack. Not that I have any personal experience with the latter, but enough experience with the former to know this is true. :sweat_smile:
Ummm I see you have Art Audio Jota HC set tube amp. Never heard of it before. What tubes is it using Bill?

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #1,799 of 7,478

Users who are viewing this thread

Back