Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #1,036 of 7,478
There's hardly any heat even after hours of operation. The fan at the bottom is still running very quietly. Sometimes I feel the fan isn't necessary but since it's so quiet it didn't bother me. Perhaps have a switch to switch it on or off, Tomas? Like if I needed to cool myself, I just switch it on. :)

I haven't shipped an amp with a fan for almost a year! You can disconnect it if you want :) Just make sure the connections doesn't short to something on the inside.

My Citadel didn't have a fan and after running for 4hrs it was just slightly warm to the touch, literally.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,037 of 7,478
Usually I just pack my Oblivion with ice cubes in Summer so that it's cool and look cool. Mr Cool. :sunglasses:

Speaking of cool, Oblivion is a cool dude. There's hardly any heat even after hours of operation.

That's no use.. how would I heat my house this cold weather?

Sometimes I feel the fan isn't necessary but since it's so quiet it didn't bother me. Perhaps have a switch to switch it on or off, Tomas?

I would keep it if I were you.. I believe it's a tad warmer in Aussie that Sweden :wink:.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,038 of 7,478
The Custom runs cool. The metal covers never get warm. My OTL and SET you can’t touch.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,039 of 7,478
After more than 6 months I am still enjoying this great amplifier!.

But I have two question for you @SonicTrance, (1) is it safe to plug and unplug the RCA cables while the amp is ON? (2) is it okay to give the amp a hot 4v signal via the RCA-in?

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,040 of 7,478
Eternity will be a very special amplifier for me since it will accomodate the 6V6 outputs and 2 x 6J5 + 1 x 6SN7 inputs

I have an idea of 6v6 tubes in the Studio Six which I had for a year until a friend wrest it from me. i.e make me an offer I cannot refuse. However that doesn't mean that 2 amps using the same tubes will sound the same. Studio Six also use one 6sn7 as input and a tube rectifier GZ34 is the recommendation.

Will your Eternity have tube rectification? I can guess... :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,042 of 7,478
(1) is it safe to plug and unplug the RCA cables while the amp is ON?
Yes, just set the volume to zero before you remove or insert the RCA's.

(2) is it okay to give the amp a hot 4v signal via the RCA-in?
Yes, totally fine. The only difference is that you would have less play with the volume control.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,045 of 7,478
Hi everybody!

I’ve read this thread and have a question. It was said many times that these amps are not typical tube amps. Soundstage is not enlarged, treble is not smoothed, bass is more controlled, no tube rolling. It is closer to solid state amp.

So the question is: what is the point of tubes in Citadel? If somebody like SS amp sound, why not to buy SS amp? I assume there is something that Citadel does better than typical solid state. What is it?

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,046 of 7,478
Hi everybody!

I’ve read this thread and have a question. It was said many times that these amps are not typical tube amps. Soundstage is not enlarged, treble is not smoothed, bass is more controlled, no tube rolling. It is closer to solid state amp.

So the question is: what is the point of tubes in Citadel? If somebody like SS amp sound, why not to buy SS amp? I assume there is something that Citadel does better than typical solid state. What is it?
Hi there!

These are not old school style tube amps where the tubes are resistor loaded and have a load line which goes into the non-linear region of the tubes. The tubes are always working in their linear region thanks to the gyrator plate loads. Other design choises makes these amps have fast transient response and transparency. But, all amplification is done by the tubes! That's what tubes do best, amplify voltage. MOSFETs supply current together with the output tubes. That way all components do what they do best!
There's no SS sound at all from any of these amps.
I've started to implement tube rolling in my amps now btw :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,047 of 7,478
Be assured that soundstage is very wide. Widest amongst all my amps. Top end is very clear but it's not glaring. No coloration in bass. If bass is intended in the music, you'll hear it. It's kind of like the Susvara that I heard yesterday. Very detailed, full of clarity, bass is not like Audeze LCD-4 bass but will hit and will be felt when call upon.

That is the Oblivion that I have. Would I tube roll to change the sound signature? No because it is unique in what it does. Does it sound like your typical solid state? No. How do I know? Because I've owned Ragnarok before and Jotunheim. Now I have Questyle CMA Twelve and Violectric v280. Now the v280 is not your typical solid state sound. It's a bit like tube tone.

What amaze me is using HD800 with Oblivion. There's no glare and bass in HD800 is as it is intended. I would say it's an ideal classical music pairing.

The last 2 endearing attributes are quietness and coolness. Amp is devoid of hum or hiss. Amp stays cool after hours of operation.

Why then do I have so many amps? Because I love the different sonic signatures of each amp. So instead of rolling tubes, I roll amps. :) The same way I have 4 headphones.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,048 of 7,478
Now the v280 is not your typical solid state sound. It's a bit like tube tone.
Tonally - yes, it have slightly overweighted bass and rolled off highs. Although, Violectric soundstage is slightly narrow, but deep. Oblivion sounds very different to v280? Does it sound better? I mean more transparent, more defined, more detailed maybe.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,049 of 7,478
Tonally - yes, it have slightly overweighted bass and rolled off highs. Although, Violectric soundstage is slightly narrow, but deep. Oblivion sounds very different to v280? Does it sound better? I mean more transparent, more defined, more detailed maybe.

Oblivion sounds very different to v280? - Yes

Does it sound better? - In my subjective opinion yes.

I mean more transparent, more defined, more detailed maybe. - Definitely.

Pretty much polar opposite those 2 amps. Can I enjoy both? - definitely. :xf_cool:

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,050 of 7,478
Oblivion and La Figaro 339 and Yggdrasil are isolated in my work accommodation 300 kms away. I can't get to it until border restrictions are lifted. So now I have these amps and these headphones to accompany me during working from home. My son borrowed the v280 and HD800. He has an Arya and Topping d90 / a90.

What I have here are Woo Audio Wa22, Questyle CMA Twelve, Schiit Mjolnir 2 and SMSL SP200. Headphones are He1000se, LCD-3f, LCD-X.

Yesterday I heard this system at the downtown local head-fi shop. Awesomely expensive and awesomely good. :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1101-audio-custom-crafted-headphone-amps.919425/post-16109211

IMG_1704.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back