Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #691 of 7,457
Must be the first second hand unit. At least that I've heard of. Does it have impedance switch?
It is the Oblivion that Phantaminum had, no, it does not have the impedance switch. I hope that it will drive my Auteur well despite this.

10346253.jpeg

10346251.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #692 of 7,457
It is the Oblivion that Phantaminum had, no, it does not have the impedance switch. I hope that it will drive my Auteur well despite this.

10346253.jpeg

10346251.jpeg
Most users like the high impedance setting on high Z phones, that's why I asked. But, Oblivion will drive them on low impedance as well.

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #693 of 7,457
Most users like the high impedance setting on high Z phones, that's why I asked. But, Oblivion will drive them on low impedance as well.

That's right. Mine is usually on high impedance for my high impedance headphones but I set it to low impedance now and it's driving my new Beyer T1.2 600 ohms headphone with no problem. Sounding good. :)

IMG_0451.jpg

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #697 of 7,457
That's right. Mine is usually on high impedance for my high impedance headphones but I set it to low impedance now and it's driving my new Beyer T1.2 600 ohms headphone with no problem. Sounding good. :)

IMG_0451.jpg
That is encouraging :)

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #700 of 7,457
Enjoy!
Seems @Phantaminum has both, the Verites & Auteurs s I'm sure he can comment as well.

I personally love them with the Auteurs. It's a lovely pairing with the amp. It gives you a nice dash tube euphony without the bloat, it's fast, it's detailed, clear, and throws a nice wide sound stage. I preferred the Verite off high impedance amplifiers but that's with my chain and ears.

@Celty Post some pics when you get it.

P.S. I already miss it.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #701 of 7,457
I personally love them with the Auteurs. It's a lovely pairing with the amp. It gives you a nice dash tube euphony without the bloat, it's fast, it's detailed, clear, and throws a nice wide sound stage. I preferred the Verite off high impedance amplifiers but that's with my chain and ears.

@Celty Post some pics when you get it.

P.S. I already miss it.
Well I was quite surprised to find it was delivered today (Saturday), as it was scheduled to arrive Monday! Thinking I had two days to begin arranging a place for it, I had to scramble a temporary spot together. Given it's generous footprint, that is a tougher challenge than the Monoprice 887 and diminutive SU-8 DAC. I also need a longer XLR cable if I keep the DAC in it's current location, or a longer USB cable if I move it closer to the Oblivion. Since I'm not sure which will work out better in the long run (no pun intended), I ordered both (as well as a power cable for the amp).

Until the cabling arrives I will just have to twiddle my thumbs in anticipation. At least I am able to admire the build quality of the Oblivion, lol.

I also went through the box of tubes that you sent, which include:
2 x CIFTE 6AT6 French Tubes
2 x Mullard 6AT6 Holland Tubes
12 x Siemens 6CJ6 / CV2721 (EL81's) assuming German Tubes
Sweet!

How would you describe the difference between the CIFTE and Mullards?

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #702 of 7,457
Well I was quite surprised to find it was delivered today (Saturday), as it was scheduled to arrive Monday! Thinking I had two days to begin arranging a place for it, I had to scramble a temporary spot together. Given it's generous footprint, that is a tougher challenge than the Monoprice 887 and diminutive SU-8 DAC. I also need a longer XLR cable if I keep the DAC in it's current location, or a longer USB cable if I move it closer to the Oblivion. Since I'm not sure which will work out better in the long run (no pun intended), I ordered both (as well as a power cable for the amp).

Until the cabling arrives I will just have to twiddle my thumbs in anticipation. At least I am able to admire the build quality of the Oblivion, lol.

I also went through the box of tubes that you sent, which include:
2 x CIFTE 6AT6 French Tubes
2 x Mullard 6AT6 Holland Tubes
12 x Siemens 6CJ6 / CV2721 (EL81's) assuming German Tubes
Sweet!

How would you describe the difference between the CIFTE and Mullards?

Glad you received it!

Really, I can’t tell any differences for the driver tube. It’s not like a traditional amp where the tubes do change the sound. In the Oblivion they’re only used for voltage and possibly gain?

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #704 of 7,457
Glad you received it!

Really, I can’t tell any differences for the driver tube. It’s not like a traditional amp where the tubes do change the sound. In the Oblivion they’re only used for voltage and possibly gain?
Yes, tubes do voltage amplification (gain) and FET's supply current. Although, you can say that the tube and top FET are working together to supply current as they're in series with each other.

The input stage in Oblivion is where you would notice most change in sound from tube rolling. This is because the input stage is SE and more prone to pick up any distortion from the tube (the input tube do have a flat load line because of the gyrator plate load, so it's always working in its linear region) than the output stage which is balanced and cancel out most of the distortion.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #705 of 7,457

Users who are viewing this thread

Back