Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 6, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #676 of 7,478
does the Oblivion pair well with the abyss 1266?
The Abyss has the similar issue and result as the HD650, where these units benifit from an amp to push them to come alive.

The Oblivion has that unique ability to push a headphone's performance.
The Citadel even more so, from what I heard of it from member joseph69.

Also,
I have been rolling tubes for the Oblivion, and determined my findings into this post.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #677 of 7,478
As mentioned before, I purchased some NOS RCA 6BG6G's & 6SL7's and I much prefer the stock Russian 6P7S & 6H9C's in my Citadel Custom so far. This doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer another brand, but I'm very happy with the stock tubes and feel no need to roll further.

Listening to the Utopia/Citadel tonight for 4+hrs and heard nothing but pure musical enjoyment. I've never heard an amp that places instruments the way this amp does. The height, width, depth & separation are simply can't be ignored, while the midrange magically draws you in.

I can clearly hear and concentrate on any instrument/voices I choose due to their excellent placement and airy presentation. I can honestly say that I could easily live with this amp alone, it is that intriguing!

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #678 of 7,478
As mentioned before, I purchased some NOS RCA 6BG6G's & 6SL7's and I much prefer the stock Russian 6P7S & 6H9C's in my Citadel Custom so far. This doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer another brand, but I'm very happy with the stock tubes and feel no need to roll further.

Listening to the Utopia/Citadel tonight for 4+hrs and heard nothing but pure musical enjoyment. I've never heard an amp that places instruments the way this amp does. The height, width, depth & separation are simply can't be ignored, while the midrange magically draws you in.

I can clearly hear and concentrate on any instrument/voices I choose due to their excellent placement and airy presentation. I can honestly say that I could easily live with this amp alone, it is that intriguing!
Does Citadel compete with the WA33 in the sound department? I know the WA33 is more powerful. But having more power doesn't necessarily relate to better sound all the time.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #679 of 7,478
Does Citadel compete with the WA33 in the sound department? I know the WA33 is more powerful. But having more power doesn't necessarily relate to better sound all the time.
Well, too me, they're both to my liking sound wise, but with different presentations so I don't think this would be a fair comparison, but I'm most definitely very happy with both of them sound wise. I've explained the sound I enjoy from the Utopia/Citadel pairing, so I'll explain the sound I enjoy from the Utopia/WA33 pairing. The WA33 takes the Utopia and totally transforms its sound pretty much beyond belief, at least too my ears. The WA33 adds such solidity, authority, thickness, richness and impact to the sound that it can be a mind blowing listening experience. Power definitely isn't everything, for sure, but sometimes if used responsibly it can be your friend.

I'm no reviewer (obviously) so this is the best I can do trying to explain what I'm hearing that draws me to both of these amplifiers, so I hope I was able to help you a little in answering your question. And keep in mind what I said in my last post;
"I can honestly say that I could easily live with this amp alone, it is that intriguing!" I meant this very much for the headphones I enjoy most, my listening volumes and all types of Jazz being my main Genre's. So fo me, the Citadel check all the boxes!
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #680 of 7,478
Well, too me, they're both to my liking sound wise, but with different presentations so I don't think this would be a fair comparison, but I'm most definitely very happy with both of them sound wise. I've explained the sound I enjoy from the Utopia/Citadel pairing, so I'll explain the sound I enjoy from the Utopia/WA33 pairing. The WA33 takes the Utopia and totally transforms its sound pretty much beyond belief, at least too my ears. The WA33 adds such solidity, authority, thickness, richness and impact to the sound that it can be a mind blowing listening experience. Power definitely isn't everything, for sure, but sometimes if used responsibly it can be your friend.

I'm no reviewer (obviously) so this is the best I can do trying to explain what I'm hearing that draws me to both of these amplifiers, so I hope I was able to help you a little in answering your question. And keep in mind what I said in my last post;
"I can honestly say that I could easily live with this amp alone, it is that intriguing!" I meant this very much for the headphones I enjoy most, my listening volumes and all types of Jazz being my main Genre's. So fo me, the Citadel check all the boxes!
:beerchug:
Wow, I would love to get a listen to the WA33. From what you just described, it sounds like it could add those attributes to just about any headphone. Thanks for the reply!

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #682 of 7,478
The HD6xx sounds so good out of my Citadel I'm not even getting that feeling of missing anything and wanting to take them off. I do think it sounds better than the Verums. It has more detail and sounds more energetic. I'm using them with a generic copper XLR cable on high impedance.

-cuts through the veil
-dark balance of the HD6xx matches the neutral Citadel
-expands the small soundstage width
-tubes help any dynamic driver Sennheiser imo
-one note bass is now two note...lol

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #683 of 7,478
I just finished an Oblivion. This is the first one with the 1/4" SE add-on.

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #684 of 7,478
Apr 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #686 of 7,478
Good to see you're still churning out Oblivion at times like this. I'm just quietly enjoying Oblivion at home in isolation. Still loving the clarity, details and soundstage presented by this amp.

IMG_0397.jpg

Great clean set-up with killer gear! Stay safe and happy listening.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #687 of 7,478
You do incredible work. It looks awesome!
Thanks!

Good to see you're still churning out Oblivion at times like this. I'm just quietly enjoying Oblivion at home in isolation. Still loving the clarity, details and soundstage presented by this amp.

IMG_0397.jpg
Good to hear from you! You've been quiet. I'm glad you're still enjoying your amp =)

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #688 of 7,478
Great clean set-up with killer gear! Stay safe and happy listening.

So is yours Joe. Enjoy. :)

Good to hear from you! You've been quiet. I'm glad you're still enjoying your amp =)

I sure amp enjoying the amp. I blew a few fuses though by connecting too many gear on the same power outlet. I discovered how convenient it is to change the fuse in Oblivion. Fortunately I have a spare pack of fuses. :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #689 of 7,478
Well, I have a new to me Oblivion on the way (shipped today). I'm looking forward to setting this baby up and seeing how it pairs with the HD6XX and ZMF Auteur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back