Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Mar 15, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #661 of 7,478
Just needed to pop in and say that I'm enjoying the Citadel Custom immensely.
With this said, I'm not only rediscovering my music, but also all of my headphones.
I haven't had 6hr listening sessions in a very, very long time and I find myself listening all night long as if I just entered the headphone scene.
Everything sounds exceptionally fine out of this amp. This may very well be the best daily driver I've ever owned. It's that impressive too me!

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #662 of 7,478
Anybody knows the story of the custom Citadel silver version? Layout, Tubes, and Transformer are different..

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #663 of 7,478
Anybody knows the story of the custom Citadel silver version? Layout, Tubes, and Transformer are different..

Circuit wise, the only difference is the output tubes. The rest is aesthetics. These tubes will give slightly more power to high Z phones due to higher voltage swing.

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #664 of 7,478
Another Oblivion finished! This one is fully stacked with speaker and pre-amp outputs, as well as XLR inputs and impedance switch.
DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #665 of 7,478
Circuit wise, the only difference is the output tubes. The rest is aesthetics. These tubes will give slightly more power to high Z phones due to higher voltage swing.

Can the Oblivion utilize a more powerful tubes?

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #666 of 7,478
Can the Oblivion utilize a more powerful tubes?
The thing with the 6p7s is that it has more gain than the stock 6p31s used in Citadel. While it has more gain it also has lower bias voltage than the 6p31s but the available voltage swing still is slightly higher in the end.
This will give more power to high Z phones because voltage will clip before current at high Z loads, low Z loads remains the same since I run the 6p7s at the same current I do the 6p31s and at low Z loads the current will clip first.

With that said, there's still ample power in the stock versions for headphones!

I could build an Oblivion with higher gain tubes. With some redesigning of course. As for more power to low Z loads the EL81's could supply that but I'd need to use a different chassis with big heatsinks.

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #667 of 7,478
Another Oblivion finished! This one is fully stacked with speaker and pre-amp outputs, as well as XLR inputs and impedance switch.

The owner will be pleased. I spend a week listening with Studio Six exclusively. Today I power on Oblivion using both Verite and HD650. Immediately the transients are snappier. Different presentation from both amps. Both very enjoyable.

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #668 of 7,478
image0.jpg

I am a happy new owner of an Oblivion amp thanks to Tomas. Upon first listening, immediately I was blown away by the incredible sound stage. I chose my DAC as it has the best sound stage I've heard and Oblivion makes it fully realized. What was once ambiguous as far as placement or close localization now has true depth and expansiveness. I can hear sounds seemingly 20ft away from me! Voices have incredible clarity and a tangible quality to them. Overall sound signature is on the leaner side with bass impact lagging behind the midrange and treble. It doesn't roll off in the sub bass but the impact isn't as impressive as my solid state amp; Bryston BHA-1. Live performances, acoustic music and vocals especially are just magical with Oblivion. I plan on pairing the newly released Aurorus Audio Borealis headphone which leans dark for me and the pairing should balance out perfectly. Fit and finish are just incredible. Truly a statement piece!

I will post further impressions in the future...

Apr 2, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #670 of 7,478
Live performances, acoustic music and vocals especially are just magical with Oblivion.

First of, congrats on getting the Oblivion and I think you have the preamp feature which I didn't have. I couldn't agree more with your statement assessment above of the Oblivion. It may not have as much bass impact as my other amp but I actually like how Oblivion sound as it is.

With the lockdown, I've moved my gear home to work from home. I've not heard the HD650 to sound so alive and clear. :) I've 2 setups in different rooms. In one room, I've Yggy and Studio Six. In the other room, I've the NAD d1050 with Oblivion but each time I come to the Oblivion setup, my eyes and ears just lit up. Good things can come in cheaper package. :)

IMG_0343.jpg

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #671 of 7,478
does the Oblivion pair well with the abyss 1266?

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #673 of 7,478
I can hear sounds seemingly 20ft away from me!

Let me guess, by your Verum's :D?
If yours has the impedance switch I would love to hear impressions about it with your 650.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #674 of 7,478
Let me guess, by your Verum's :D?
If yours has the impedance switch I would love to hear impressions about it with your 650.
I haven't tried Verum with Oblivion yet as I don't have a balanced cable for it. HD650 sound fantastic and alive on Oblivion. Low impedance has an iron first grip on the bass making sure there is no bloat that can happen with high output impedance. There is an absolute amazing clarity to this pairing in the midrange especially. I can't harp enough that voices and acoustic music have a realism I just haven't heard before. High output impedance gives more slam but also brings a bit of mid bass bloat. It's preferred depending on the music and a great option to have if you're looking for a little more slam and bass.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #675 of 7,478
I haven't tried Verum with Oblivion yet as I don't have a balanced cable for it. HD650 sound fantastic and alive on Oblivion. Low impedance has an iron first grip on the bass making sure there is no bloat that can happen with high output impedance. There is an absolute amazing clarity to this pairing in the midrange especially. I can't harp enough that voices and acoustic music have a realism I just haven't heard before. High output impedance gives more slam but also brings a bit of mid bass bloat. It's preferred depending on the music and a great option to have if you're looking for a little more slam and bass.

The Verum One and Oblivion is one of my favorite pairings. When you get that balanced cable let us know. I’m using Periapt’s balances cable and it’s well built for the price. You may have to wait a few weeks to get it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back