Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Feb 10, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #571 of 7,478
Yes they have decent curves, they'll probably do pretty well. Sims (with all the caveats that sims have) seem to indicate EL12 is almost as good as EL81 and EL36 in this circuit. In real life it could be indistinguishable, or then again not.

I would not recommend doing a 'workhorse' amp with those tubes though. I've dealt with old stock US and European tubes quite a lot, and while many are sold as "NOS" or "tests 100%" or whatever, the lifespan they have left could be anything from 1 week to 10 years. I would not deal with that risk on an amp I use every day.

You're right. A workhorse amp should not rely on 3 pairs of NOS EL12 spez. I'll keep them to admire them... on the wall. :)

IMG-3610.JPG

Original boxes.
s-l1600 (37).jpg

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #572 of 7,478
(...)
I see. You didn't comment on my tech posts about tube selection, but I assume you read them and understood them. Feel free to ask any questions or clarifications I'm happy to elaborate.

Are you not worried about having significantly higher distortion with 6L6 tubes? This will as a matter of fact provide you with less transparency, less atmosphere and 3D imaging, less clarity and separation between voices etc etc. The amp will still be a GOOD AMP, but why not get it as even better?

You have a stash of 6L6 eqs, okay, but think about this: you can get a HUGE stash of EL81's or EL36 eqs very very cheap. Then you'd have a huge stash of those as well.

Or is it about the social aspect? You mention 'acclaim'.

Tubes are just components. They are inherently, well, nothing. They only become 'something' when put into a circuit.

What they become is as much (or sometimes more) contingent on what the circuit is, than what the tube is.

The whole is always the tube in a circuit, the tube in itself is not "good sounding". Now if you only use similar circuits, say the retro classic circuits, then yes, the circuits are similar enough to each other that the tube's "inherent properties" in themselves might stand out.

But understand that this circuit is fundamentally pretty much completely different than the retro circuits. So the 'acclaim' collected from those retro circuits doesn't carry over there, in terms of actual performance ability.

Not that acclaim has much to do with performance ability anyway.

I'm not trying to be provocative here, just to bring new perspectives to think. Ask yourself, what is the purpose of your hobby? There is no right answer here, only your own answer.

For me, it's transparent sound, for maximal realism and liveliness of sound, to enjoy music I like. Whatever components achieve this, I will use.
(...)

Feel free to post a link to your tube selection posts, I seem to have missed it, would be an interesting read. By acclaim of the 6L6 series I mean that many people who tried them had the best results on their amps vs. many other semi-compatible classes such as 6AS7, 6080 and even to 5998. But as you say his amps are a totally different design so the performance may not transfer over. And I guess you meant that even if a similar amp were designed around them it still may not compete with the current design because this series of tube was found to give off higher distortion than the currently used tubes?

Speaking of ideas for tubes, @SonicTrance I recommend at least looking into GU50 as well as EL12 Spez. At least with the Feliks Audio OTL amps, both were received as extremely exceptional and head & shoulders above many other classes. The GU50 are a unique design and are actually very cheap and abundantly available. I haven't heard them but if you visit the Euforia thread here you can read a lot about people's results with them. Certainly there is nothing wrong with your amps, especially my being someone who has yet to try them, so just my two cents.

The purpose of my hobby around here? Moving up that audio latter, in the quest for sonic perfection! It does seem a latter winding with infinite curves and no top in sight, and takes some sanity to remain 'earthed'... or is that what my power conditioner / regenerator is for? LOL

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #574 of 7,478
EL81 tubes arrived from Germany first before the 6AV6 from Taiwan even though I ordered the latter first. 4 shining NOS tubes for US $19.90. Even the pins are shining.

IMG_0021.jpg

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #575 of 7,478
I missed using my headphone system for a week because I was busy. Well it's Friday now and I started listening again using Verite and Oblivion. Love love this combination. Clarity with the smoothness of a concert pianist.

Like this concert pianist :wink:

IMG_0022.jpg

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #580 of 7,478
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #583 of 7,478
Looks good though I'm getting quite fond of the standard look. The big standard chassis sits nicely on the top of my rack.
Thanks.
I like the look of the newer standard Citadel with the revised tube arrangement, as well as the original but I just like having something different and I prefer my amps to be silver over black. Can't wait to hear it!

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #585 of 7,478

Users who are viewing this thread

Back