Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #511 of 7,457
No issues here.

Are you on a mobile ?
Desktop looks fine to me
Mobile a bit truncated as you say.

Thanks guys, until I've figured out what's happened I will have to preformat my posts...

as a work around, until then there might be a lot of rubbish appearing.. so no change then some of you might say!...

Maybe people will not be too bothered that most of my posts end up off the page lol!

I thought initially that it was because of copying into here from Notepad but it does...

the same keying directly into here.

To make this post Oblivion related... I had to work quite hard to not order one before Feb 1. It will happen at some point. Enjoy!

Looking forward to hearing the review... when it comes round!
:)

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #512 of 7,457
You might want to consider either Verite Open or Verite Close instead of HD800 then. The ZMF headphones opens up with Oblivion. Everyone has their own preference so it's hard to know what suits you. My short listen of a modded HE-500 has been a long time ago at a meet and I cannot really remember how that sound like. Since that time, I've have had Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f, LCD-3f. I bet those would sound lovely with Oblivion. :)

Right now I'm really enjoying Verite Open with Oblivion. Sound so much better than with Studio Six.

Thanks for the feedback, seems like anything would sound good on Oblivion!

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #513 of 7,457
Well that came out alright luckily!

I see they've put in the red likes alert at the top of the page so that people can get their dopamine hit, like on Facebook, one reason I don't go on it.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #514 of 7,457
I don’t think anyone would like cold and analytical sound but hd800 with the right amp can sound really enjoyable. The 3 amps that comes to mind are Glenn OTL amp, Studio Six and Oblivion.

I am quite adaptable though. Though I like how hd800 sound with these amps, I much prefer Verite with these amps.

Lately though I prefer Oblivion driving my Axis Voicebox S speakers. Both Verite and Voicebox S cost US$2500 each. Headphones these days are getting very expensive. You can buy very nice bookshelf speakers for the price of a Susvara. :)

Most TOTL bookshelfs are around $5000-7000

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #515 of 7,457
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #517 of 7,457
Thanks for the feedback, seems like anything would sound good on Oblivion!

Depends on the headphone. I thought the HD650 and Elex would pair up nicely with the Oblivion but instead I enjoy them more out of a $350 SET tube amp. The Fostex TH/TR series surprised me with great synergy as well as the Verum One. My favorite synergy is with the Auteurs. Gives you the speed, clarity, detail, instrument separation, on top of a beautiful tone/timbre.

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #518 of 7,457
Depends on the headphone. I thought the HD650 and Elex would pair up nicely with the Oblivion but instead I enjoy them more out of a $350 SET tube amp. The Fostex TH/TR series surprised me with great synergy as well as the Verum One. My favorite synergy is with the Auteurs. Gives you the speed, clarity, detail, instrument separation, on top of a beautiful tone/timbre.

Yeah! That's the thing with the Sennys, they're difficult to predict, I imagined that they would be good with a full tube sound because they do need livening up somewhat. I found that difficult to achieve with my old HD600's.

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #519 of 7,457
I'm spending more and more time listening through speakers now because Oblivion and Axis Voicebox S pairing is just so sweet and clear. Soundstage as you can imagine, is wider than headphones. :)

It's dynamic, vibrant and has that zing to it. Bass is tight, fast and has more impact than you thought possible for such a small dimension speakers. Oblivion is ideal for making the Voicebox sound as it should.

I'm looking at a pair of Dynaudio Special 40. :)

DSC_0036.JPG

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #520 of 7,457
@UntilThen cool, is the speaker tap on your Oblivion powerful enough to drive those speakers directly? And about those Axis speakers, are those efficient nearfield speakers? I looked them up and it says rated at 100W, so how much is the min. wattage to drive it and how much does the Oblivion put out?

Oh and you mentioned about a future Citadel amp purchase. I've read it has a different (cleaner) sound sig. so I wonder if you may prefer keeping the former and compare first to make sure which signature you like the best.

PS - speaking of "Oblivion", I'm harkened back to a 2007 album from the British electronic music group called Underworld who have been innovating the scene since the late 80's, and their 2007 album called Oblivion With Bells.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #521 of 7,457
is the speaker tap on your Oblivion powerful enough to drive those speakers directly? And about those Axis speakers, are those efficient nearfield speakers? I looked them up and it says rated at 100W, so how much is the min. wattage to drive it and how much does the Oblivion put out?

I wish you're here to listen to it yourself. :) Voicebox like most good monitors are very inefficient and demands a powerful amp but in a small room, Oblivion is driving it like a champ. It's direct from Oblivion speaker taps to Voicebox.

You're right, Axis Voicebox S is rated at 100w, 5 ohms, 85db sensitivity which is low. John Reilly the designer of Axis speakers, recommends me the Redgum Rgi120enr (175w) to drive the Voicebox S. That's the amp that I have.

Oblivion is only 2.7w into 4 ohms, 2w into 8 ohms but there's something special about those watts. It's driving the Axis monitors to sonic heights. :)

It's in the design. @MrCurwen will explain it. :wink:

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #522 of 7,457
Oh and you mentioned about a future Citadel amp purchase. I've read it has a different (cleaner) sound sig. so I wonder if you may prefer keeping the former and compare first to make sure which signature you like the best.

I intend to have both Oblivion and Citadel after I get rid of Studio Six. Then I can find out for myself how much alike and unalike those 2 amps are. Sonic told me they are quite close but that Citadel is cleaner with less distortion.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #523 of 7,457
PS - speaking of "Oblivion", I'm harkened back to a 2007 album from the British electronic music group called Underworld who have been innovating the scene since the late 80's, and their 2007 album called Oblivion With Bells.

I'm listening to this now with Oblivion and Axis. It's nice! I like it.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #525 of 7,457
I'm spending more and more time listening through speakers now because Oblivion and Axis Voicebox S pairing is just so sweet and clear. Soundstage as you can imagine, is wider than headphones. :)

It's dynamic, vibrant and has that zing to it. Bass is tight, fast and has more impact than you thought possible for such a small dimension speakers. Oblivion is ideal for making the Voicebox sound as it should.

I'm looking at a pair of Dynaudio Special 40. :)

I can highly recommend Dynaudio speakers :) But they tend to be hard to drive. I was concerned my pair of McIntosh MC75's wouldn't be sufficient, but they are more than sufficient. The Special 40 have a sensitivity of 86dB, which is about the same as my Dynaudio speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back