Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
May 18, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #61 of 7,478
Always interesting to hear from new members!

Sennheiser HD800. As much as I loved the LCD2s for rock, soul, vocals, etc. they lacked the clarity, soundstage and sparkle that I wanted for classical, jazz and some acoustic music (my musical taste is eclectic). The HD800s filled this gap perfectly and, with the right amplifier - I'm getting to that! - gave the detail and soundstage that I felt the Audezes lacked, but without the treble spike that others had criticised them for.

This brightness is exactly my issue with the Sennheisers and so your impressions are interesting.

I play music from files on a hard drive as well as hi res audio from Tidal, running through Audirvana on a dedicated Mac Mini. I have a Teddy Pardo audio system so use a Teddy USB cable to the Teddy DAC then to the PR1 pre-amp and then to the Oblivion amplifier using RCA cables. I have inexpensive custom made balanced XLR cables for both pairs of headphones.

Have you tried the Oblivion without the Preamp? There is a debate about the merits of preamping in audio circles so I wonder if you have tried it? I used to use one but no longer think it necessary.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #62 of 7,478
The Oblivion seems to enhance all of the best qualities of the LCD4s whilst drawing out some that were perhaps a little hidden previously. The bass is tight, full and natural with no unnecessary or added punch beyond what is already in the music. I love mids in music, especially vocals and The Oblivion/LCD4 combo delivers this in spades. It is hard to describe this without resorting to cliche, but the mids are natural, warm and rich and the sound envelops you as you listen. What the Oblivion adds is an increased soundstage and level of detail that I haven't previously heard.
There is space between and around the instruments. I find myself literally moving my head from side to side to 'see' where the instrument is and where the sound is coming from! I feel totally immersed in the music and I cannot believe that sound could get any better, at least not for my taste and the way that I like to listen.
I like to state this aspect and ability of the amp is not to be underestimated.
Retaining full tube holographic imaging on a hybrid is very unique.
The solid-state aspect of this design ends up solidifying the image to be one of the most accurate presentations I heard yet.
Remember in my review how I irrespective of the realism, the soundstage accuracy can still be skewed in other top amps.
This amp gets it precise while at same time solves the issues of "parts" dependancy, that plagues basically ALL other tube designs so far...
They ALL still depend on parts quality to effect their sound...
This amp design makes "parts" upgrading practically obsolete (!). This is the aspect that is a game changer.
As the designer says "parasitics" of the components are avoided.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #63 of 7,478
Always interesting to hear from new members!

Have you tried the Oblivion without the Preamp? There is a debate about the merits of preamping in audio circles so I wonder if you have tried it? I used to use one but no longer think it necessary.

I replied to this a week or so ago, but it doesn't seem to have registered. No matter . . .

I did actually try to use the Oblivion without the pre-amp, but couldn't get a signal from the only other pair of outputs on the DAC. I would like to see if this might make a difference, but perhaps the outputs aren't suitable for direct connection with the Oblivion.

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #64 of 7,478
I replied to this a week or so ago, but it doesn't seem to have registered. No matter . . .

I did actually try to use the Oblivion without the pre-amp, but couldn't get a signal from the only other pair of outputs on the DAC. I would like to see if this might make a difference, but perhaps the outputs aren't suitable for direct connection with the Oblivion.
That's strange. What outputs were you trying to use? You can use whatever outputs you like (even a smartphone but not ideal of course). The normal 2V / channel is perfect though.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #65 of 7,478
That's strange. What outputs were you trying to use? You can use whatever outputs you like (even a smartphone but not ideal of course). The normal 2V / channel is perfect though.

There is only one pair of outputs from my DAC which is already connected to the pre-amp for my speaker set-up. I do have XLR outputs as well, but the Oblivion doesn't have XLR inputs.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #66 of 7,478
There is only one pair of outputs from my DAC which is already connected to the pre-amp for my speaker set-up. I do have XLR outputs as well, but the Oblivion doesn't have XLR inputs.
Right, ok! You could always bypass (unplug) the preamp if you wanna hear Oblivion without it. I'm actually building an Oblivion with optional XLR inputs right now. :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #67 of 7,478

you can use these interconnect splitters coming off your dac , hook up one set of interconnects to your preamp & another set to the obiivion
. . .
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQM22FHRD&gclid=CO-GwM2Z2uICFZGKyAod8RMC-w

you can use this splitter to accomplish what you need,you need 2 of these

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #68 of 7,478
you can use these interconnect splitters coming off your dac , hook up one set of interconnects to your preamp & another set to the obiivion
. . .
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQM22FHRD&gclid=CO-GwM2Z2uICFZGKyAod8RMC-w

you can use this splitter to accomplish what you need,you need 2 of these

Yes, I do something similar to come off the DAC to the headphone amp XLR's and to the SE speaker amp, therefore I can play both simultaneously which is useful for comparisons. Anyway, a bit different from what you want to do, but if you get the splitters let us know what you think... or do what Sonic said and bypass the preamp and just go direct from DAC to Oblivion, and try to remember what it sounded like with the preamp when comparing without it. I very much doubt you would actually need a preamp with the Oblivion as it is already strong in imaging apparently.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #71 of 7,478
Well, I did make a DAC for myself a couple of years ago. I even soldered the digital part (the chips) by hand. That was a huge mistake.

Anyway, the analogue part is basically just another preamp stage. Nothing more to it than that. You can go balanced or SE. If your digital part has balanced output, balanced might be the way to go.

Only real difference is you probably want to have a bit more consideration to the PSU part than usual. Make it overkill, just to be sure.

If the cables are long, maybe add a FET buffer stage. Probably not necessary.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #72 of 7,478
Just finished another Oblivion. I've updated the chassis to a full aluminum one.
This one has optional XLR inputs.

DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0043.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #73 of 7,478
It looks excellent, and the work inside fantastic!

Just one small point, I think you use the same legs as me which come in packs of 3. I was not happy with the 3 legs on my amp and I believe it is improved by using the 4.....less wonky!

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #74 of 7,478
It looks excellent, and the work inside fantastic!

Just one small point, I think you use the same legs as me which come in packs of 3. I was not happy with the 3 legs on my amp and I believe it is improved by using the 4.....less wonky!
Thanks!
Not sure how you placed yours? This one is rock solid using three spikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back