Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Oct 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #4,096 of 7,478
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #4,098 of 7,478
I did not realize there is a vaccine for Odyssey :smirk:

With Odyssey, you need a shot every month. It's constantly evolving !

Anyway I'm excited for my friend who shall henceforth be known as Zero. Negotiations are underway and I think he's going for silver chassis similar to Odyssey but wider and with Lundahl transformers. Some changes to input tubes but I'll let Zero tell you when it's finished.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #4,102 of 7,478
On 2nd thought if you want to trade your Tesla with my pair of Telefunken EL12 spez, I'm open to negotiations. After all I'm a reasonable man. Take my EL12 spez and I'll have your Tesla. It's a fair trade !

roadster_front_3_4_canyon.jpg
You haven't got time to be thinking about that what with your Odyssey which is taking you far and wide 👍.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #4,103 of 7,478
My friend is a classical music lover. He listens to nothing else but classical. When I talk about bass, I usually refer to kick drums but he would refer to cello and organs. Told me Odyssey is so revealing in the high frequencies and the weighty bass notes are astounding. It's good to have someone verify this for me. :)

2 months out with Odyssey and I can't get enough of it. I spend too much time listening to music with this amp and my headphones and I wish I have more headphones to try with it.
Thanks to your impressions we're getting a very good idea of what the Odyssey sound signature is like, I can almost imagine it now 🥳.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,104 of 7,478
So in a foreseeable future there will be a serious comparison of two Odyssey amps by two serious listeners living close to each other. One high class version and one de luxe version. Most interesting. We will trust your report.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #4,105 of 7,478
Thanks to your impressions we're getting a very good idea of what the Odyssey sound signature is like, I can almost imagine it now 🥳.

Describing Odyssey sound signature is like describing my perfect golf swing. It's impossible. You need to hear it for yourself. I remember just before Tomas send out Odyssey to me, I ask him to describe Odyssey sound signature to me. All he said was it's guaranteed to impress.

Odyssey will make other amps sound less 3D. Odyssey notes are vivid and they stand out. It's not going to overwhelm you with bass. The whole FR is very balanced. Delicate songs will sound delicate and songs where bass are impactful will definitely have impact.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #4,106 of 7,478
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,107 of 7,478
Oct 18, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #4,108 of 7,478
Describing Odyssey sound signature is like describing my perfect golf swing. It's impossible.
Yes, because your swing is not perfect... had to get in there before bcowen 😜.
Describing Odyssey sound signature is like describing my perfect golf swing. It's impossible. You need to hear it for yourself. I remember just before Tomas send out Odyssey to me, I ask him to describe Odyssey sound signature to me. All he said was it's guaranteed to impress.

Odyssey will make other amps sound less 3D. Odyssey notes are vivid and they stand out. It's not going to overwhelm you with bass. The whole FR is very balanced. Delicate songs will sound delicate and songs where bass are impactful will definitely have impact.
Yes I'm sure you're right but I'm enjoying the vicarious thrill of reading your descriptions. The interesting thing about the Odyssey I imagine is the various possibilities of altering the sound signature which I'm sure you would agree?

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #4,109 of 7,478
Yes I'm sure you're right but I'm enjoying the vicarious thrill of reading your descriptions. The interesting thing about the Odyssey I imagine is the various possibilities of altering the sound signature which I'm sure you would agree?

Agree and disagree to some degree. The ability to tube roll in Odyssey is not the only interesting thing about the amp. Everyone who sees it first time are awed by the looks including me but the best part is the sound. Tube changes will alter the sound but regardless, I have loved every tube rolled in Odyssey. So tube rolling plays just a very minute part of what's interesting. It's the killer tone. :wink: Again I reiterate, I very much believe it's the Sowter transformers and Tomas's brilliant tuning of the amp that makes it so special. We all know it's about the implementation and this is Tomas's design and implementation. He has pushed the boundaries imho and produce a brilliant sounding amp. The prima donna looks is just a bonus. :wink:

In fact after 2 months, I've just settled with using EL11 and EL12 spez with a 5u4g rectifier. This is the tube combination my friend heard and he wants to take Odyssey home with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back