Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 1, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,756 of 7,478
A flawless performance by Kyung-Wha Chung, rendered by Denon TT > Oblivion > He1000se. So good....

IMG_2102.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,757 of 7,478
2 days before Easter, Yamamoto sockets ordered and yesterday sold off Taurus because I know I won't be using it with Oblivion around. It's literally 2 to 3 months before the commencement of Odyssey built.

Spoke to Tony and deliberate between getting GEC KT88 or GEC KT77 + Tung Sol 6550 first. What does it matter. The aim is to get them all or at least these 3 vital tubes to make up my essential tubes.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,758 of 7,478
The sun's coming up soon and I will be driving home to Sydney for the long Easter break. My mind's on the industrial power conditioner that Tony takes the pain to explain to me that it's better than some of the so call 'audiophile' power conditioners in the market today that is selling for more than your kidneys, heart, lungs and all organs combined.

Tony told me this is a made in Australia power conditioner for industrial use without gimmick and flashy brand names. He told he uses 3 of them and the engineer who made these also supply them to commercial enterprise like the giant telecom company Telstra.

And the price? Half the price of the pair of GEC KT88. Will I buy it? Well let me try to fry my egg and bacon with it. That's the test. If it fries my egg and bacon to perfection, I will buy it.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,759 of 7,478
Indeed.. and your relapse is just waiting to happen :wink:.

So the Australian "Philips" and "Mullard" were actually better than the real thing?

I know I promised to curtail my addition to Tuberollers Anonymous, but you hit a tender spot there bb! :wink::wink: After hearing just how well it stood up to the Valvo mesh plate EL11, the fact that it did so without the very faint hum from the latter has haunted me since my careless destruction of the Mullard 'G'...I reckon the 2x Aussies could well have pipped the Valvos at the post lol! :smile: And it just goes to show the (frustratingly) fickle nature of tube production...why should tubes supposedly made to the same specification but from different factories not behave the same?!! Obviously, materials used can (or could) vary a good bit in their quality/inherent characteristics from one factory to another. And/or I like to think that some hands and fingers possessed more 'magic stardust' than others!! :smile::smile: Whatever, 'MiniWatt' + 'Mullard' sure does conjure up a harbinger of something special lol...but now will never know alas :frowning2:...CJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,760 of 7,478
why should tubes supposedly made to the same specification but from different factories not behave the same?!! Obviously, materials used can (or could) vary a good bit in their quality/inherent characteristics from one factory to another. And/or I like to think that some hands and fingers possessed more 'magic stardust' than others!! :smile::smile: Whatever, 'MiniWatt' + 'Mullard' sure does conjure up a harbinger of something special lol...but now will never know alas :frowning2:...CJ
Yes, exactly. My Philips has the same ladder plates that are common for many other brands, yet it sounds so much better... why??? How can Australia, of all countries, produce a better Mullard, wonder if UT will take the bait lol!

Maybe some special knowledge/ingredients in the menu that the chefs are not sharing!

BTW I know you are happy with your Chord Hugo TT really, why wouldn't you be when you have the letters "TT" after the name :wink:.

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #1,761 of 7,478
The sun's coming up soon and I will be driving home to Sydney for the long Easter break. My mind's on the industrial power conditioner that Tony takes the pain to explain to me that it's better than some of the so call 'audiophile' power conditioners in the market today that is selling for more than your kidneys, heart, lungs and all organs combined.

Tony told me this is a made in Australia power conditioner for industrial use without gimmick and flashy brand names. He told he uses 3 of them and the engineer who made these also supply them to commercial enterprise like the giant telecom company Telstra.

And the price? Half the price of the pair of GEC KT88. Will I buy it? Well let me try to fry my egg and bacon with it. That's the test. If it fries my egg and bacon to perfection, I will buy it.

Ah UT...sounds like the sort of Balanced Conditioner I have from AirlinkTransformers over here. 'Industrial' certainly is the right word for it - to say the least!...pretty it ain't. But again, does the job brilliantly at far less cost than the prettier 'audiophile' units!! :wink:...( not to mention appealing to my stingier side lol :relaxed:). GOOD LUCK with yours M...

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,762 of 7,478

I use a 3 lines industrial/medical power isolator with DC Blocker and RFI/EMI filter for my audio setup. It is not an active power conditioner which rebuild perfect sine but do the job very well !

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,763 of 7,478
Yes, exactly. My Philips has the same ladder plates that are common for many other brands, yet it sounds so much better... why??? How can Australia, of all countries, produce a better Mullard, wonder if UT will take the bait lol!

Maybe some special knowledge/ingredients in the menu that the chefs are not sharing!

BTW I know you are happy with your Chord Hugo TT really, why wouldn't you be when you have the letters "TT" after the name :wink:.

We do things here better than the rest of the world. Which is why you don't hear me complaining about hiss and hums from my tubes and amps .... much.... right @mordy ?

Except for the Sylvania 807 maple leaf that blew up with fire .... well we blame the Canadians for that. That's where it's made.

Time to pack up and go home. See you all in Sydney. Bcowen is driving. If we get past Lake George we'll be fine !

Oh here's a nice pic of Chord gear...
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/to...nk-prowse-hi-fi/?tab=comments#comment-4732684

but not for me. I'm a Yggdrasil fan.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,765 of 7,478
Time to pack up and go home. See you all in Sydney. Bcowen is driving. If we get past Lake George we'll be fine !

I'll be napping most of the way, so please keep the chatter to a minimum. :laughing:

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #1,767 of 7,478
I am not sure if you mean the Lake George that is 3 1/2 hours drive from me halfway to the land of the 807 Maple Leaf tube.
I'm not sure. I was napping the last time too. :smile:

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #1,768 of 7,478
No worries. I am sure UT will be providing you with a self-driving Tesla or similar for the journey. Unless he only spends big on Tesla tubes, not vehicles for the chauffeur. :fearful::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #1,770 of 7,478
No worries. I am sure UT will be providing you with a self-driving Tesla or similar for the journey. Unless he only spends big on Tesla tubes, not vehicles for the chauffeur. :fearful::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You don't know UT very well. This is what he provided me to drive last time. And that's him reaching in his wallet for the $1 (AUS) he paid me for the trip. :laughing:

1617327574882.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back