Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #7,471 of 7,478
Hope you're still enjoying your Ultrasonic Studio amp(s). I have here the following tubes on Odyssey:-
Cossor 53ku, Telefunken EL11 and RT EL39. My Sennheiser HD800 sound just like a top of the line headphone. :)

Still loving my Telly like it was new.

High impedance headphones really scale nicely with tube amps. Especially when you switch it to the high-impedance output of the amp.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #7,472 of 7,478

High impedance headphones really scale nicely with tube amps. Especially when you switch it to the high-impedance output of the amp.

2 years 7 months now. It arrived on the 13th Aug 2021. The day before our Covid lockdown started. Looking at all the excitement and leadups' to actually getting Odyssey, it's a wonderful experience. It's still my best sounding tube amp.

Not having Tomas here is just a big lost.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #7,473 of 7,478
2 years 7 months now. It arrived on the 13th Aug 2021. The day before our Covid lockdown started. Looking at all the excitement and leadups' to actually getting Odyssey, it's a wonderful experience. It's still my best sounding tube amp.

Not having Tomas here is just a big lost.
Yeah not only he's an amazing person, but I used to look forward to the end of the month when he unveils a new build. It was so cool to see everyone's amp and unique features its had.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #7,474 of 7,478

This is why I have good hopes for the ModHouse Tungsten. It is high impedance but also has a very low sensitivity. Should be even quieter than the HE-6 SE and hopefully better in technicalities.

My Odyssey too has an impedance switch (125 ohm) and ultra linear. I like ultra linear more. I find it gives more "kick".

I had also wanted the LCD-4 then they stopped production just before I got the amp....

But this amp was conceived in my mind to drive the HE-6 SE. Maybe Tungsten will be an even better pairing and I will stop my headphone hunting.

It is the time I upgrade my DAC, even though with the Gungnir MB I am quite satisfied. Maybe something with "hotter" outputs. I was meant to be Audio-GD HE-7, but then I felt too pleased with the sound and was spending less and less time listening.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #7,476 of 7,478
Hi,

https://streamable.com/czqv0t

I have noticed a strange sound, not sure if it is coming from the transformer or something else. I swapped the KT170 positions.

This is HE6se on the 8 Ohm impedance at around 75% volume open.

What is it? Do I need to worry?

Is it the ringing sound that comes on occasionally? Is it with every song? May not be the amp. Switch source and see.

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #7,477 of 7,478
It is the vibrating / clicking sound.

When I switched off the channel, it stopped vibrating. So I assume it is coming from the transformer or some related components - definitely not from the tubes as I switched those off.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #7,478 of 7,478
It is the vibrating / clicking sound.

When I switched off the channel, it stopped vibrating. So I assume it is coming from the transformer or some related components - definitely not from the tubes as I switched those off.

You will do a few troubleshooting. Change KT170 to something else. Change HE6SE V2 to another headphone.

That clicking sound do you hear it only when music is playing? Switch to triode mode. Don't use UL. If you have a feedback switch, switch it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back