Objectivists board room

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by joe bloggs, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285
Next

Last
  1. Brahmsian
    You should. The last one I remember hearing was in a performance of Zarathustra, and it was thrilling when it kicked in.

2. bfreedma
    That’s a good documentary but also a completely one sided view that ignores the primary reason that the collection was moved. I live very close to the original museum location (5 minute walk) and as you might imagine, this was a pretty big story over a long period of time.

Short version - the original Barnes museum is in a residential neighborhood that didn’t have the capability to support large crowds as it became better known. No parking, facilities, etc. To comply with the zoning regulations, access to the museum became extremely limited, with only a few dozen passes a day available. Unfortunately, Barnes’ will had a conflict that wasn’t solvable in the current location - the will required the collection to be both fully publicly accessible and to remain at the existing site. Both were not possible, so the Foundation relocated the collection into the museum area in Philadelphia to keep it open to a much larger audience.

I understand both sides of the debate but the will simply couldn’t be honored in full. Either the museum had to move in violation of the will or public access largely curtailed, also in violation of the will.

3. bigshot
    I don't care what sort of instruments are used. I just want the performer to have an unique approach to the music designed to illuminate the core, and the maximum involvement of the performer in the music. No formulas. No rules. Mistakes are OK. Creativity is what counts, not appropriateness.

sonitus mirus likes this.
  4. bigshot
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the purpose of the collection was to be for the use of creative artists, not for the general public. They didn't just change the location. They changed the whole purpose of the collection. Was the residential neighborhood there when the facility was built originally, or did it spring up around it later? Here in Los Angeles, we have the Huntington Library, which is in the exact same sort of situation. It has been integrated into the neighborhood well. The same for Descanso Gardens in La Crescenta.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. sonitus mirus
    I enjoy something about almost any well-played music, HIP or any other style. I don't believe that most HIPs are truly authentic sounding as intended, it is simply another modern interpretation of classical music and might need its own sub-genre, that is all.

6. bigshot
    I think HIP works better with Baroque music, particularly pieces that don't have any competition from back catalog recordings.

7. RRod
    I'm hoping to catch Bluebeard's Castle at some point for some 5th door action.

8. bfreedma

The residential neighborhood was there prior to the museum - the back of the Barnes opened onto St. Joseph's University owned land, with the residential neighborhood across from the front of the building. Access and parking was only through the existing residential streets and not SJU. The facility became open to the general public in the early 60s (the move was in 2011) after starting as a space for creative artists, with a cap of 500 visitors per week which was eventually reduced to 200 due to traffic/parking issues. There is also an arboretum which remained in Merion after the artwork moved. The biggest issue was not so much the location of the museum as it was the reorganization of the collection. Part of the Barnes will demanded that none of the artwork be rearranged.

At one point, there was an agreement with SJU to use some of the land behind the building for parking, but the University decided to use the space for athletic fields. Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of options as the area is heavily developed and that was the only parcel of land available to SJU.

Frankly, IMO, both sides had plenty of opportunity to compromise but became entrenched in all or nothing positions.

9. bigshot
    They should have turned the arboretum into a parking lot and kept the artwork for the artists. I can totally understand how the context of the artwork was vital to the integrity of the collection.

10. Raketen
    HIP of the future are going to have a ball with LaMonte Young
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  11. castleofargh Contributor
    2017???? your post was a slap on my face. I'm not sure I have one album released in 2017. I've bought stuff, but old stuff. OMG I'm old!!!!!!!!
    ok after looking, I've found a good deal of 2016 albums. maybe only 2017 eluded me. it was one of those leap year thing where a year lasts a day, right? maybe I'm just always one year late(that would actually explain a lot in my life ^_^), or maybe I've turned old in the head specifically in 2017? oh well, Stevie Wonder is still a charming young man, so it can't be that bad.

12. bfreedma
    Yes, most of us locals thought the same, but the board that controlled the Barnes refused to consider it. Both sides were very entrenched and had numerous lawyers in tow, so a number of reasonable solutions weren’t considered as neither side was willing to compromise.

13. bigshot
    That documentary made it pretty clear that the board was determined to dismantle the place. Having served on non-profit boards myself, I know that the stewards of the charity aren't always exercising their fiduciary responsibilities.

14. bfreedma
    IMO, the root cause wasn’t the board’s desire to dismantle the place, it was the mismanagement of the endowment by the board for decades. The Barnes facility wasn’t properly maintained and when it became unavoidable, the funds weren’t there. Add that to the neighborhood issues and it was pretty clear the Barnes had to relocate. Barnes visitors were making a bad habit out of parking in the driveways of the surrounding houses. The only people happy about it were the tow truck operators who were pulling multiple cars per day.

If they had simply rebuilt a replica of the Barnes in town and installed the collection in the new “old” locations, this wouldn’t have turned into a debacle. Or at least would have only been a fiasco...

15. james444 Contributor
    Geez, sorry about that! But hey... you're a forum mod, you could have just nuked that post :p

On a more serious note, I simply like to explore new stuff. Plus, I've amassed so many albums over time, that it really wouldn't make much sense for me to buy even more old stuff, lol. But then again, there's that more than a decade younger friend of mine, who just happens to go bananas over my old vinyl stuff. So yeah, not sure if this has anything to do with age, tbh...

First

Back
276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285
Next

Last