Objectivists board room
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #4,186 of 4,545
Arhythmic is jazz! The origin of jazz is ragtime, and the reason they called it ragtime was because to them it sounded like the rhythms were being torn up. If you listen to more jazz, you'll understand the language of it better and you'll find out how well organized the rhythms actually are. You'll find some of the same in the Zappa concert. He worked in very complex time signatures.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #4,187 of 4,545
ok I need to learn more about jazz styles, cause I enjoy a Miles Davis Kind of blue from time to time, and one of my favorites albums is Stan getz's Jazz Samba, and both these records are much more linear.

I like the Zappa concert's energy, but the public is definitely getting in the way of good sound, althougt it's interresting to hear how the engineer improves his recording over time, the 2nd concert is miles ahead of the first.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,188 of 4,545
There were six of those Zappa concerts over a week, and every one is quite different. The best performance is the Halloween one though.

Try Dave Brubeck's Time Out. Every song on that album is in a different time signature.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #4,190 of 4,545
I was shopping at Monoprice recently for Black Friday, and happened across banana plugs at their site. I've been a banana plug holdout but it cost no more than $10 to do my whole surround system, so gave in. I am looking forward to not futzing with frayed wires anymore, and less mess behind the receiver. I have some work to do, but even after doing the first speaker I can see why people like them so much, it definitely makes things tidy. I also picked up a very rugged 50ft XLR cable for $16. Some of the best connectors I've ever seen, all gold plated. Monoprice is unbeatable.

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,191 of 4,545
I was shopping at Monoprice recently for Black Friday, and happened across banana plugs at their site. I've been a banana plug holdout but it cost no more than $10 to do my whole surround system, so gave in. I am looking forward to not futzing with frayed wires anymore, and less mess behind the receiver. I have some work to do, but even after doing the first speaker I can see why people like them so much, it definitely makes things tidy. I also picked up a very rugged 50ft XLR cable for $16. Some of the best connectors I've ever seen, all gold plated. Monoprice is unbeatable.

Alright, another one of us has gone completely bananas. :beerchug:

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #4,192 of 4,545
Hah, I sure did, and had the work to accompany it! All speaker terminals and receiver terminals have 'gone bananas'. I was glad to do it, and get some bonding time with my system. It needed a little love. I cleaned up the posts a bit, cut wires to new clean ends, and finally got to use the built-in banana receptors on my speaker and receiver terminals. The back of the receiver itself is a site to behold, the banana plugs making things very neat and creating a nice, ordered, waterfall of cables.

Had I not typed them as overpriced audiophile jewelry, and realized there were functional benefits, and that they could be added for $10, I probably would have done this earlier.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,193 of 4,545
Hah, I sure did, and had the work to accompany it! All speaker terminals and receiver terminals have 'gone bananas'. I was glad to do it, and get some bonding time with my system. It needed a little love. I cleaned up the posts a bit, cut wires to new clean ends, and finally got to use the built-in banana receptors on my speaker and receiver terminals. The back of the receiver itself is a site to behold, the banana plugs making things very neat and creating a nice, ordered, waterfall of cables.

Had I not typed them as overpriced audiophile jewelry, and realized there were functional benefits, and that they could be added for $10, I probably would have done this earlier.
I just buy the cables with banana plugs already attached. I have a small shelf space available to coil up the extra length under my receiver, but I do try and get an appropriate length so there isn't too much slack. I always use the same length speaker wire going to the left and right channels (front and rear), and my receiver is not centered between the speakers, so I will always have a bit of slack for at least one side.

In my office I use 12ft speaker cables and the room is only 14ftx11ft. I wanted options for speaker placement, and I wasn't sure where I was going to put the amplifier in the room, so a 12ft length generally covered nearly all potential options.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #4,194 of 4,545

but, but, you haven't told us about how the soundstage is better and the bass tighter.

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #4,196 of 4,545
I just buy the cables with banana plugs already attached. I have a small shelf space available to coil up the extra length under my receiver, but I do try and get an appropriate length so there isn't too much slack. I always use the same length speaker wire going to the left and right channels (front and rear), and my receiver is not centered between the speakers, so I will always have a bit of slack for at least one side.

In my office I use 12ft speaker cables and the room is only 14ftx11ft. I wanted options for speaker placement, and I wasn't sure where I was going to put the amplifier in the room, so a 12ft length generally covered nearly all potential options.

I cut cables equal lengths too. It's more of a peace of mind thing though. The fractional resistance or delay caused by the extra wire is imperceptible, and if it was theoretically long enough to be, the receiver will figure it out through it's calibration process and change timing or level by the ms or .5db or 1db that it mattered. Cutting a wire 10 feet shorter than another would probably have less of an effect on sound than moving the speaker 1mm back. Nevertheless, I do the same, just to satisfy my OCD for symmetry.

I have a ridiculous amount of cable going to my surround speakers, coiled up in corners, but I'd rather have extra wire than be short. I can't remember the length, but it's probably close to 30ft for the surrounds. My fronts are a relatively short 10ft I think.

On my receiver the positive terminals are above the negative terminals. To create a more orderly flow without kinks, I had to cut the negative wire about 10mm shorter than positive, but it cam out looking awesome. No kinks, everything flows straight down. With the bananas, it's much better than before where frayed wires could have caused shorts, and heavy cables hung suspended from their wire strands only, without any support at the insulation point. And bunched up all together in an indecipherable mess.

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,197 of 4,545
I had my system put in by an AV installer and the wiring had to go down one side and then across the room at the other end. One run is twice as long as the other, but they still sound the same.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #4,200 of 4,545
I cut cables equal lengths too. It's more of a peace of mind thing though. The fractional resistance or delay caused by the extra wire is imperceptible, and if it was theoretically long enough to be, the receiver will figure it out through it's calibration process and change timing or level by the ms or .5db or 1db that it mattered. Cutting a wire 10 feet shorter than another would probably have less of an effect on sound .....

No use to worry.
Latency in cables is between 4ns - 5ns per meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back