1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Objectivists board room

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by joe bloggs, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261
263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272
Next

Last
  1. Brooko Contributor
    If you haven't already, you might want to try this : https://www.music-map.com/

Enter an artist, and it gives you a map of similar artists and how close they are to the style. The cool thing about it is that you can browse to new artists simply by clicking the links, and then get others close to them. I've used it a lot to find new artists with similar musical styles.

2. castleofargh Contributor
    there is a study suggesting that most people's favorite music stay centered on what they were listening to as teens, and what their parents were listening to as teens. can't say how well it works in general, but I at least can relate.
    as for new music being crap, that's clearly the generation gap talking. :wink:

JaeYoon likes this.
  3. bigshot
    It didn't know who Benny Moré or Sol Hoopi were, and it told me that Cootie Williams was similar to Mammal Hands, Girls in Airports and Gogo Penguin. It suggested that Captain Beefheart and Stan Getz were similar to Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.

I know a few people like that. To be honest, I pity them.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. Brooko Contributor
    Guess there are maybe fewer people of that generation that contribute. Pity. I've found it quite handy for a lot of the genres I enjoy.

5. CarlosUnchained
    There’s great music coming out every year. The same reason we don’t need to spend thousands in music gear to produce a solid album is why there’s so much offer nowadays. Also music labels are less and less important when you can just share it in bandcamp.

JaeYoon likes this.
  6. JaeYoon
    Screenshot_2017-09-23-05-43-31.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-23-05-43-24.png

Some amazing marketing. Now how much of that is true.
    :thinking:

7. castleofargh Contributor
    I'm guessing in a few years, sony will invent the op amp.:sweat_smile:
    sony is playing itself. it's as simple as that. for years they have focused on making small devices with from reasonable to long battery life. which is the very reason I love them I bought mostly sony all these years. to that end they adopted that sort of proprietary class D amp section that's super weak and really not that great, but also doesn't need much power. not much power means they could use a smaller battery, make a smaller DAP, bravo we've done it.
    and then the marketing department decided to push forward everything that was not a sony DAP. highres res all the way except that most DAPs labelled highres are able to play highres files, but the resolution output is really nothing special. stuff like Fiio can often measure better and they show real graphs not BS nonsense without units like sony does when explaining the highres stuff.
    everybody whined for years about the output impedance that was too high(I'm guessing it had to be for the amp design), so they started talking about reducing impedance... in the battery's cable :sweat:.
    everybody whined about the weak power output, now they kind of did something and brought up balanced output. which will tend to make the impedance thing worst... but at least with up to double the voltage we can now hope to reach more than around 0.5V like we were stuck with before on most DAPs. oh but of course the DAP now needs a bigger battery and bigger form factor. it's a revolution, sony is doing more like everybody else. wow!
    on that aspect big caps are obviously something that could come only with bigger case. last time it was about sticking a crazy number of small ones in chain, now they it's some other BS that might interest the engineer who made the design, and that's about it. else how about talking about each and every resistor and how they picked 42ohm instead of 43ohm and it's really better now. those stuff are silly. you know how to design something or you don't, if you have to point out each time you do something ok, I'm going to wonder how much you must fail everywhere else.
    so at some point it's easy to understand sony's marketing, if they sucked at something, they'll market how good they are at it anyway, and the next time they fix the issue, they market that as a LVL2 pokemon. when everybody else was already there years ago.
    IMO everything happening now is simply the result of crap marketing and one significant change. they stopped being so damn stubborn. sony stopping to try and impose their will onto the world "apple style" is what let them make a come back in the DAP market. for example now we have µSD cards on DAPs, that's not a small thing for sony and it's been huge for consumers. and I believe they're using some cirrus logic DA chip on the modern stuff for DSD and all the fancy stuff. so that's another rupture with the past.

but the new DAPs are all bigger as the audiophile boat is taking speed and the craving for more power (mostly for no reason in the portable world) is slowly being noticed by sony. that's why I joked about them inventing the op amp, because that and the stupid proprietary usb are kind of the last remains of an old ideology. and I'm starting to wonder what I'll get the day I kill my A15 and A867, as they keep making fatties. I was that one consumer fine with average fidelity and amazing convenience(remnant of the sansa clip era), so the audiophile way probably won't work for me, but it certainly seems to work for Sony and I'm glad for them. now if they could stop making marketing mountains out of every random thing everybody knows how to do, that would be great.

as for lead free solder, I'm guessing it's the same stupidity as the classy battery wire. you can read it for the stupid it is, or for another kind of stupid where if true, they're merely admitting to doing it wrong up until now. but as a European, I must confess I thought lead free solder was the industry standard for the last decade, so the revolutionary feeling isn't really there for me ^_^.

JaeYoon likes this.
  8. JaeYoon
    Really good info about sony!

I also once had a sansa clip+
    Yes I've been reading that proprietary usb is a pain if you leave it at home.

Micro usb or even lightning connectors are common at public charging stations. My library has one.

The audiophile will certainly not be for you. There will always be someone like "yeah but this dap sounds way better. Your clip is veiled and thin sounding and not enough resolution and soundstage is not as deep and wide. It's congested and too cramped.

Meanwhile this 800+ dap sounds way more airy and realistic and way better instrument separation. Etc etc.) " Could go on forever
    :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. Argyris Contributor
    People should just punch a hole through a stack of hundred dollar bills and plug their headphones in direct. I'll bet it sounds amazing.

JaeYoon and CarlosUnchained like this.
  10. bigshot
    It doesn't appear to be a generational thing. It's a genre thing. One thing I've noticed with people who just listen to rock music is that they have more names for subtle differences in rock music than eskimos have for types of snow. But ask them about country music and they lump it all into one category- "stuff I don't like". It's like the end of the Gilligan's Island theme song... "and the rest". It's a lot easier to recommend similar things when the whole genre is similar. A diversity of styles makes that more problematic.

I haven't had much luck "crowd sourcing" music. Popular isn't often the same as good. It works for Michael Jackson and Prince, but not for Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga. I have the best luck by surrounding myself with knowledgeable people and picking their brains.

11. Mr Rick

Despite the bad-mouthing of Stereophile in other threads, I find the monthly "Record Reviews" to be of use in exploring new ( to me) music.

Stereophile also published a "Ten Years of Records To Die For", that has broadened my musical horizons, though it is not strictly "new music" , much of it is new to me.

I use streaming services to help me find music that I would like to add to my personal collection, be it download, CD, or vinyl.

12. Argyris Contributor
    Sometime around the beginning of the 2000s, I turned a corner and started becoming intensely picky. Before that, I liked whatever was popular on the radio, with the exception of hip hop, which my parents didn't listen to so neither did I. I consequently never developed a taste for it, or indeed many genres I wasn't exposed to growing up, though I'm making baby steps with electronic and I managed to branch out into prog rock for a few years about a decade ago.

Recently I went on a nostalgic buying spree where I downloaded a bunch of mainstream 90s and very early 2000s pop music. My buying criterion for each purchase was that I actually had to like the song; I wasn't buying stuff just to create a mood or simulate a period radio playlist. Combining what I bought with what I already had in my collection, I made playlists based on which year and what order within the year each song was released as a single, and I noticed an interesting data distribution: each year starting with 1995 had between 30 and 40 entries, until 2000, which took a precipitous drop down to 15. After that, I could barely scrape together one or two for each subsequent year (if that), so I just recast the playlist as a 2000 and beyond one. It has around 25 items total, and I don't think anything on it is newer than mid-2000s.

I don't know what exactly changed or why. It could have simply been the end of childhood that made the difference for me, since this was right around when I began adolescence. I never went through the stereotypical rebellious teenage stage where I felt compelled to adopt the music of "my generation" because it wasn't my dad's. Whatever the cause or causes, I just gradually stopped listening to the radio and continued exploring classical (I started when I was ten) and slowly collecting music from earlier decades, occasionally collecting a large number of albums by a favorite artist (e.g. Genesis, Yes, Kansas, Elton John). Turning on the radio today, I feel like it's completely foreign. Nobody I knew as a kid is really making music anymore, and the style is so different that, as a nearly-30 year old who basically missed well over an entire decade of popular music, I have trouble engaging with it or putting it into any sort of evolutionary context.

13. castleofargh Contributor
    I can identify veggies better than music genres, and I really suck bad when it comes to the names of veggies. I've got a buddy who can identify tens of genres just with electro kind of musics. well at least he pretends very well as I don't have clue what he's talking about. ^_^

14. Strangelove424
    And the modern equivalent of Bach? The Beatles? Classics are classics for a reason. New music can become that too, but I'm in no mood to sift through every new thing released, "Generation gap" doesn't explain things completely. It's a lot more complex than that, and a white glossing over or a black glossing over won't cover all the matte shades of gray. Some genres have risen and fallen, or come near to death, while others have flourished. But that's a more nuanced discussion.

15. Strangelove424
    Thanks! This is pretty cool. I like the way it visually organizes things according to their relationship in sound or history. Very intuitive and it's neat to see the artists sort themselves into finer categories. It's a bit light in classical, I found very scattered and strange results for Daniel Barenboim, but otherwise it worked well.

First

Back
252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261
263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272
Next

Last