1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Objectivists board room

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by joe bloggs, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258
260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269
Next

Last
  1. artnoi
    Result report: a test subject correctly guessed half of times in the ABX test on Saturday.

2. castleofargh Contributor
    [​IMG]

gardibolt and CarlosUnchained like this.
  3. artnoi
    the test left him speechless. the cables used were a copper and a fancy silver.

4. bigshot
    Can't be that because I was hearing it will all sources, even my blu-ray player. And it was in all channels, so it couldn't be a rattle in a tweeter. It makes sense that it would be something with the amp.

There's a famous test where audiophiles couldn't detect the difference between two cables, and after the test was over, it was revealed that they were comparing a high end cable to a wire coat hanger.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. JaeYoon
    I'm very curious what the more expensive DAPs can do soundwise compared to DAPs below that tiny bit up at the summit.

I'm enjoying my current dap and IEM and I definitely dig it's sound and amount of details I can get.
    I read up that all modern dacs as long as built and designed to output accurate audio stream are all good and the amp is decent and enough to power your headphones.

The audio file whether it's FLAC/WAV/APE/Etc is only as good as the CD/Source outputted and mastered and post production from studio.
    I always read up in reviews of comparisons that the daps like W1MZ and TOTL and flagships daps contain more detail than any of the DAPs in lower price ranges.

But I'm wondering why that's the case? I assumed once as long as you have a nice headphone/earphone you dig the sound, and a DAP that fits the sound sig you enjoy. It should be good enough, and all modern dacs as long as they have low jitter, etc. Whether rest of high specs are audible can be up for question.
    is it just that the higher daps have amps that allow one you hear those extra little details at a lower volume?

I just thought all daps have a specific sound signature but not sure about rest.

6. bigshot
    All I know is the iPod because that is what I have always used (I have nine various models of them and have used three different iPhones.) I've done controlled comparisons of all of them and they are all audibly transparent to any other piece of equipment I compare them to. I've compared them running a 16/44.1 PCM file to a high end Philips DVD/SACD player, an Oppo BDP-103 and an Oppo HA-1. With the same source file line level matched, everything sounded exactly the same.

I don't believe some players have more detail than others. I think most players are perfect, but there are a few that might be less than perfect. I would think that issues of convenience and usability are probably more important than sound quality in DAPs.

Intensecure and JaeYoon like this.
  7. JaeYoon
    I really miss those days when I had my classic iPod with scroll wheel. It was an old gen model back in Middle School/High School. I remember using it for a few years until it stopped working.

I really want to go back to doing that time and sticking with a DAP for a few years until it stops working and then buy a new one. I fallen into this loop of dap jumping and really want to stop thinking of what's out there and just enjoying.

8. Strangelove424
    I miss my old iPod scroll wheel too. Unfortunately they stopped making them. I thought smartphones would replace them, but the problem with phones is you usually need an SD card, and I no matter how nice my phone is, I always end up hating it. It gets associated with calls, e-mails, traffic, news, and things that are generally the opposite of sitting down and relaxing, so when I look at my phone, it's slightly with disgust, and I don't have the state of mind required to curate the music on it.

I want to get back to dedicated DAP too. Fiio has been making some interesting looking ones. Judging purely on ergonomics/aesthetics. But I'm not sure it's really important enough to have my own stored music anymore, with streaming. At least outside of the house.

JaeYoon likes this.
  9. headwhacker
    If you do a DIY, buy a cheap used ipod. Get an i-flash adapter, some SD/microSD cards, a cheap extended battery from eBay and some replacement front/back panel. You will have a new shiny solid state iPod that can outlast any DAPs available today. I managed to build a 1TB iPod with battery life that last a couple of weeks before needing a charge. The icing on the cake is rockbox running on top of it. No other DAP can beat it feature-wise (ones that matter).

JaeYoon likes this.
  10. JaeYoon
    That is amazing!!! Whoa

11. pinnahertz
    Link to a DIY instruction set? I failed at getting an iPod to work with a CF card, then abandon the project and bought me a Touch. Kind of hate it a little.

JaeYoon likes this.
  12. headwhacker
    JaeYoon likes this.
  13. Niouke
    stumbled across this meme in the science enthusiasts facebook group :)
    [​IMG]

JaeYoon likes this.
  14. Argyris Contributor
    Well, in a recent post I mentioned audiophile gewgaws gaining sentience. It seems the day is upon us.

15. JaeYoon
    Hahahaha premium audio placebo!

First

Back
249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258
260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269
Next

Last