Objectivists board room
Jan 22, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #3,136 of 4,545
True, but only when applied to a digital system.  There are dynamic range measurements of analog system, which have no 0dBFS (full scale) reference, or even a well defined clipping/overload point (think analog tape, as an example), hence, much of the confusion. 

In such cases I would expect the 1dB compression point to be used. But we're diverging from the topic of discussion here... You say A weighting is not used for DR measurements, yet manufacturers report DR with A weighting. Why is this?

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,137 of 4,545
In such cases I would expect the 1dB compression point to be used. But we're diverging from the topic of discussion here... You say A weighting is not used for DR measurements, yet manufacturers report DR with A weighting. Why is this?

There may be no such thing as a 1dB compression point (power amps, for example).  

As to A-weighted DR specs...that would be a case of "creative" spec writing. 

Did you really have to ask???

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #3,139 of 4,545
There may be no such thing as a 1dB compression point (power amps, for example).  

As to A-weighted DR specs...that would be a case of "creative" spec writing. 

Did you really have to ask???

Power amps are precisely where P1dB is relevant.

And yes, I had to ask. Because this is central to the point of weighted measurements being of less value than an unweighted measurement.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,142 of 4,545
I work on RF systems for a living. I work with PAs everyday, and one of the most basic measurements we take as part of any system level test is P1dB.

It's a little different with audio amps.  If an amp clips hard, you probably don't want to use a 1% THD point or 1dB compression point as a reference because it's already sounding terrible, so not a fair reference point.  If the amp clips more gently, then yes, that might be ok.  

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,146 of 4,545
Stickers my friends, it's now stickers that are used to change the ak380. Different colours, different sounds. It's real!

Huh? What are you going on about?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,147 of 4,545
Huh? What are you going on about?

See the ak380 thread. My magical pebbles link has not survived for long before it got deleted by mods. There was absolutely no trolling in my post and why would linking to magical pebbles be prohibited but reviewing stickers of $$ be encouraged? Everyone knows those things cant do something... Right? Oh well some people already want to buy them themselves! Wow

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,150 of 4,545
obviously you're trolling. you forgot to mention that those are quantum stickers. so of course they escape the laws of classical physics. what did you expect?
we have absolute uncertainty about the stickers, and the oily thing is clearly a principle, therefore the setup in the picture is Heisenberg approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back