O2 Build Complete: Let the objective, subjective listening tests commence!
Dec 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #601 of 721
Quote:
Was wondering about this myself.  Can't imagine it's anything but aesthetic or maybe cheap because it's overstock nobody wants.

Probably because it was cheap.  Aesthetics wasn't on the list of design requirements...

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #602 of 721

Quote:
Probably because it was cheap.  Aesthetics wasn't on the list of design requirements...

I wonder if they sell jacks at Coconut audio.  
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #603 of 721
Quote:
Was wondering about this myself.  Can't imagine it's anything but aesthetic or maybe cheap because it's overstock nobody wants.

Yeah I think at one point green was out of stock and black was more expensive, so double blue jacks it was.  The other colors are listed on the BOM; most people just went ahead and got whatever was default I guess.

On that note, half the resistors and caps are funky values just to get whatever was currently cheapest that fit the correct size and rating.  In some sense you've got to respect the penny pinching, particularly in the situations where there is no downside, but shaving off a few dollars is not really not a huge difference relative to the total cost.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #607 of 721

Quote:

So, where's the link to the walkthrough on how to assemble it? There are lots of posts in this thread and very few discussing assembly or sound quality impressions.

Assembly discussion would be helpful for complete noobs like me.  I bought mine prebuilt in fear I'd screw up my build, but a step-by-step video walkthrough (or similar) might encourage other newcomers to give it a try themselves.  This amp is likely to attract a far less experienced and more solder-shy crowd than typical DIY amps:  I think many of us would just as soon buy a professionally assembled amplifier, but there just aren't any comparable commercial alternatives [in the same price range] in this case.

Although I agree with the overall consensus that the O2 sounds like nothing and imparts no signature of its own, that's really not the whole story:  We actually do still have a lot to talk about regarding subjective impressions, because it would be helpful to know which headphones do and don't jive with this kind of neutrality.

For instance, LFF has stated that the O2 is fantastic with the T50RP (particularly his mod) and good for the Fischer FA-003 and FA-002W, but that it does NOT mesh with the FA-002W High Edition (which is very picky and presumably requires the amp to compensate for something).  These kind of impressions would be extremely valuable if we could compile a large number of them, and I don't think anyone has to feel silly or pretentious posting them, like we might if we tried to wax poetic about the amp's signature (or lack thereof) in and of itself.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #608 of 721
Quote:
So, where's the link to the walkthrough on how to assemble it? There are lots of posts in this thread and very few discussing assembly or sound quality impressions.

Someone in the diyAudio thread said they were working on a step-by-step walkthrough. You could check there and see if it happens.

I'm not sure exactly how many people have have an O2 so far, but if they're like me then they're probably not the type to give much in the way of flowery prose about amps or DACs.  I use mine every day, mostly with my T50RPs, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #609 of 721

Quote:
I suppose he does have a decent amount of orders. When I asked him about the lead time as of last week, he told me "end of January". I guess things are gonna get better after the holiday season, he deserves his rest like anyone else. 

Thanks for that frenchbat - its possible that my order is in the queue before yours, but in any case I wont receive my Epiphany Acoustics Objective2 headphone amplifier till January anyway, even if he shipped it tomorrow. When I receive my amplifier, I plan to commence the objective/subjective listening tests, and publish a breathless account of same for the benefit of others. Go me.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #610 of 721

A walkthrough on how to assemble it? I don't know about everyone else, but it seemed so easy it doesn't necessitate one...
But I'm with maverick on my lack of large, published impressions. All I can add is that it works very, very well.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #611 of 721
Actually I haven't ordered, but I was asking him about the lead time in case of an immediate order, which gives the same thing I guess. Personnally I'll wait for the desktop + DAC flavour. Who knows ? Maybe it'll get to replace my Streamer 2+ and my AHA120, which I love by the way. 

Quote:
Thanks for that frenchbat - its possible that my order is in the queue before yours, but in any case I wont receive my Epiphany Acoustics Objective2 headphone amplifier till January anyway, even if he shipped it tomorrow. When I receive my amplifier, I plan to commence the objective/subjective listening tests, and publish a breathless account of same for the benefit of others. Go me.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #612 of 721
Quote:
A walkthrough on how to assemble it? I don't know about everyone else, but it seemed so easy it doesn't necessitate one...
But I'm with maverick on my lack of large, published impressions. All I can add is that it works very, very well.

I thought so too until someone said it took 3 hours to build one and then I thought if it takes that long I must be missing something and a walkthrough is necessary, and where is it?

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #613 of 721
Quote:
I thought so too until someone said it took 3 hours to build one and then I thought if it takes that long I must be missing something and a walkthrough is necessary, and where is it?

Nah it just depends on how quick you are at stuffing boards and such. I can throw one together on breadboard in 3 hours, and still have time to watch a Harry Potter movie.

All you need to do is check the part designation on the BoM, look for it in the mouser bag, check the part to see if it's alive, stuff the board then solder in waves of 10-15 parts. Repeat.

No walkthrough is necessary as there is really nothing to adjust.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #614 of 721

I took like 9 hours, but those were very slow hours, marked with lots of me rechecking parts to make sure they are right. 3 hours should really be considered a nice fast mark though. It was easier than a cmoy, in my opinion. It's more of a "can you read and match parts" + "can you solder" than anything really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back