O2 AMP + ODAC
May 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #1,486 of 5,671
Quote:
That setup isn't going to look so clean after you add a headphone cable, a power cable to the O2 (unless you've got a battery or are using some kind of custom back entry we can't see), and a data cable to the DAC.

:)

==

It does help that the y2's (USB) inputs are on the back and you can use a single small mini-to-mini to connect the two. All those ports you see on the front are actually outputs, not inputs. The DAC is actually currently USB-powered since the PSU is off. Like I said, the y2 is extremely versatile.

Utilitarian is a great word to describe the aesthetic. It's exactly how I feel about it, and why I think it looks better than the M&M.

May 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,487 of 5,671
Quote:
Given my very limited experience with tube amps, I really like the sound that they provide (and I love the idea of tube rolling and modding). However, I'm not sure I would ever use a tube amp for mixing/mastering/etc, because I feel like the same distortion that makes the sound euphonic would also be a) coloring the output and b) covering up errors that I would need to be fixing (clipping comes to mind). Are my suspicions grounded in reality?

Cover-up errors and coloured output are why I think people like tube amps. It makes the sound sound more "round" and "soft" from my experience. An example would be with the HE-500. The O2 reveals the 9 kHz treble peak really easily. Put it with a Woo Audio WA7 and that peak is reduced and is much less annoying; however, at the cost of losing the same airiness that the O2 provides and the soundstage is more cramped-sounding.

May 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,488 of 5,671
Quote:
Cover-up errors and coloured output are why I think people like tube amps. It makes the sound sound more "round" and "soft" from my experience. An example would be with the HE-500. The O2 reveals the 9 kHz treble peak really easily. Put it with a Woo Audio WA7 and that peak is reduced and is much less annoying; however, at the cost of losing the same airiness that the O2 provides and the soundstage is more cramped-sounding.

That's why I like it. But, as I mentioned earlier, that's not "high fidelity" in the truest and original sense of the term.

It's kind of funny (sad?) that when the O2 reveals deficiencies in a headphone's performance, oftentimes, people will then attribute these flaws to the O2, when really, it's the headphones that are problematic, and proclaim that the O2 is xyz-deficient.

May 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,489 of 5,671
Quote:
That setup isn't going to look so clean after you add a headphone cable, a power cable to the O2 (unless you've got a battery or are using some kind of custom back entry we can't see), and a data cable to the DAC.

I like the utilitarian look of the O2 (especially *my* O2) more than the Apple-esque look of the M&M (mainly because it looks better than everything else on your desk and matches virtually nothing), but thanks to NwAvGuy showing an incredible lack of foresight by putting all of the inputs and outputs on the front, it is virtually impossible to not create a jungle of tangled wires coming and going around the Objective stack. This irritates me to no end.

That's a cool red stack you have. I've seen desktop O2s that are aesthetically better than the regular O2s. The one made by audio poutine has a 1/4 jack, all the switches and outputs moved to the back of the amp, and even comes with RCA outputs like a regular desktop,  which gives it a more elegant look. They do cost a bit more of cost but i think its well worth the upgrade if aesthetics and functionality are your concern. If i'm not mistaken, head n hifi and one other seller are developing a desktop version as well. I'm planning on getting a desktop o2 for myself and I'm hoping they will be available soon.

May 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,490 of 5,671
Quote:
For mainstream music? It depends on what kind of sound you're looking for since the two have different sound signatures. I gravitate towards the HE-500 over the LCD-2 for mainstream music because of its airiness and spacious soundstage, but the LCD-2 has much better texture and a more realistic timbre to my ears.

With the K 702, I like the sound out of the O2/ODAC combo. I don't know how it compares to the widely recommended Matrix M-Stage amp though. I actually prefer the JDS Labs C5 with the K 701 since the 701's imaging sounds a bit unnatural to my ears with the O2.

Appreciate your feedback. It seems like pretty close race between the LCD 2 and HE 500. Many reviews in other treads like the LCD2 vs HE 500 claim that there is no clear winner, being that both tend to shine in different areas and ultimately the choice comes down to personal sounds preference. And on top of that the HE 500 costing $300 less makes for a real bargain.

May 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,491 of 5,671
Quote:
Quote:
[...]
I actually prefer the JDS Labs C5 with the K 701 since the 701's imaging sounds a bit unnatural to my ears with the O2.

Appreciate your feedback.

I'd be wary. The O2 doesn't have or supply or create imaging. It's simply neutral.

If there is any audible difference between it and the C5, it the C5 which is unnatural. However, from its reviews and specs, I don't think that's true either. It appears to be neutral as well.

May 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,492 of 5,671
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[...]
I actually prefer the JDS Labs C5 with the K 701 since the 701's imaging sounds a bit unnatural to my ears with the O2.

Appreciate your feedback.

I'd be wary. The O2 doesn't have or supply or create imaging. It's simply neutral.

If there is any audible difference between it and the C5, it the C5 which is unnatural. However, from its reviews and specs, I don't think that's true either. It appears to be neutral as well.

I do hear a difference between the O2 and C5. The C5 sounds more closed-in and the mids are ever-so-slightly more forward to my ears. They are close in sound though.

May 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,493 of 5,671
Has anyone had any experience with the O2 and the HD700, 650 or 600? I'm thinking of getting one of these pairs and I need an amp to pair with it.

May 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,495 of 5,671
Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with the O2 and the HD700, 650 or 600? I'm thinking of getting one of these pairs and I need an amp to pair with it.

It works fantastically with the 580/600/650. I have not tried the 700 or 800.

I'd agree that it works fantastically with the 650. I haven't tried the 580, 600, 700, or 800.

To the OP: It'll work the exactly same with just about anything short of a power-hungry orthodynamic or electrostatic set.

May 18, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,496 of 5,671
Does anyone own both the 02/odac and the new Audinst HUD-MX2? I am interested in hearing how the MX2 compares to the clarity of the O2. It doesn't seem as though anyone has done any measurements of the MX2 yet.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

May 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,497 of 5,671
Quote:
It works fantastically with the 580/600/650. I have not tried the 700 or 800.

Quote:

I'd agree that it works fantastically with the 650. I haven't tried the 580, 600, 700, or 800.

To the OP: It'll work the exactly same with just about anything short of a power-hungry orthodynamic or electrostatic set.

Thanks chaps, I already have a Magni and whilst it's supposed to sound good with the Hd600 and 650, I hear it's a bit bright with the 700s. I'm going to try any get an O2 or an iFi iCAN to try with them and see how they pair.

May 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,498 of 5,671
Quote:

I use ODAC/O2 combo everyday with my HD600 and I haven't heard anything better for these headphones yet. My friend use the same combo with HD650 and it also sounds great.
At first try it sounded a bit too bright for my liking but once I got used to it (after 2-3f hours?) I absolutely love it.

May 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,499 of 5,671
Quote:
Does anyone own both the 02/odac and the new Audinst HUD-MX2? I am interested in hearing how the MX2 compares to the clarity of the O2. It doesn't seem as though anyone has done any measurements of the MX2 yet.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

FWIW, the designer of the amp was not a fan of Audinst, in general. Just throwing that out there.

Quote:

Thanks chaps, I already have a Magni and whilst it's supposed to sound good with the Hd600 and 650, I hear it's a bit bright with the 700s. I'm going to try any get an O2 or an iFi iCAN to try with them and see how they pair.

I do not expect the O2 to take care of any brightness problems with the 700. I do not expect the O2 to sound much different from the magni at all, but best of luck.

May 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,500 of 5,671
Quote:
FWIW, the designer of the amp was not a fan of Audinst, in general. Just throwing that out there.

That's interesting. Has this been a recent comment, or from when he was active around 2011? At that time the MX1 was the Audinst flagship, the MX2 is a very recent release and benefits from a significant redesign. I would be interested to hear what he has to say about the new design. I'm sure the manufacturers must have been aware of the O2, at its price point it certainly seems like a response to the O2.

If the O2 design is as accomplished as it appears, why are other manufacturers not simply copying it? It is open source after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back