O2 AMP + ODAC
Apr 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,306 of 5,671
Quote:
Yeah, that should at least knock a variable out if it continues to act up. I think it should be fixed. let's hope.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks again =]

Quote:
I have this problem with my laptop, never could fix it.

I think it has to do with the windows usb drivers or the drivers that install when you plug in the dac. Try moving it to a different port or deleting the drivers and letting windows install them anew.

ill let you know if changing the settings works, if not, ill try deleting the drivers aswell. moving to a different port didnt help. thank you too

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,311 of 5,671
Quote:
I had similar problem with buzzing Odac. It won't go until disconnected and plugged back in. The solution was to update my Intel chipset and USB drivers.
problem solved.

Well, as I mentioned above (post #1302) I had had a similar buzzing problem with my ODAC as well. I switched to the battery power and it didn't help either....

After about 3 hours I noticed that I did not fully insert the FiiO line-out cable into the ODAC. - So the solution was a trivial one.
Simply, due to my negligence I did experinece some on-and-off buzzing from the ODAC.

Well, apart from those three scary hours I have not experienced any buzzing, whining, noise, etc. from my ODAC and O2. They sound fantastic.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,312 of 5,671
Quote:

Well, as I mentioned above (post #1302) I had had a similar buzzing problem with my ODAC as well. I switched to the battery power and it didn't help either....

After about 3 hours I noticed that I did not fully insert the FiiO line-out cable into the ODAC. - So the solution was a trivial one.
Simply, due to my negligence I did experinece some on-and-off buzzing from the ODAC.

Well, apart from those three scary hours I have not experienced any buzzing, whining, noise, etc. from my ODAC and O2. They sound fantastic.

glad to hear it. disabling "selective suspend" didnt solve my problem. guess ill have to update my drivers after all...

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,313 of 5,671
Quote:
glad to hear it. disabling "selective suspend" didnt solve my problem. guess ill have to update my drivers after all...

Thanx. I am learning a lot in this thread, e.g. 'selective suspend', etc.

I will be afraid to buy a new laptop or desktop in the future because I might get some buzzing, whining, noise, ... Ha, ha, ...

Also, this USB-business is crazy. So many problems.

By the way, I've read on this site and on the Internet that quality of USB cables matters. Very interesting. Yeah, it's zeroes and ones, but it matters the way ....
Anyway, an experienced guy said something like this:
"I was ignorant about  the impact of the quality of USB cables on sound .... I thought it was just zeroes and ones ..."

Unfortunately, I am afraid
tongue_smile.gif
 to post it here.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,314 of 5,671
Do the O2 sound fuller then connected to a direct source or line out compared to headphone out (from Sansa Fuze and my computer's headphone out)? I notice when I connect form my blu ray player line out the sound is more full. Is the thin sound a result or double amping?

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,316 of 5,671
O2 Amp & DAC are unbelievably good. Honestly, their size doesn't convey how good these sound. Music is full and rich. Good soundstage. I have tried the Beyerdynamic A1 (which is great with a Beyer HF, but not so much with other brands. A Schiit Lyr (which is my current go to amp). Burson Soloist XL, which is fantastic (and I like it over the non SL version). And a few others. Got a Woo WA6 on the way,

The O2+ODAC com is very very good. One of the better under $300 DAC/AMP combo's out there. Sounds good on my Senn HD800, HD598, HE500's.

Don't let the small size lull you into thinking it is a cheap or toy amp. Highly recommended.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,317 of 5,671
Quote:
Do the O2 sound fuller then connected to a direct source or line out compared to headphone out (from Sansa Fuze and my computer's headphone out)? I notice when I connect form my blu ray player line out the sound is more full. Is the thin sound a result or double amping?

On my laptop, I didn't notice a big difference between line-out and headphone out. The former's higher output impedance should provide lower distortion however.

Your Blu-Ray player likely sounds better because it uses a better DAC than the fuze. The Blu-Ray plater has to support a 24 bit/192 khz multi-channel standard while the Fuze doesn't, and is otherwise designed for a different purpose (which is sourced from a 16-bit 44.1Khz medium). The signal to noise, frequency range, etc. may be superior on the Blu-Ray player.

The O2 is amping whatever output it is being given, so the overall sound quality of your sources at home will be more apparent than you are used to. But no, line-out/headphone out alone is not necessarily a reason why the sound quality is better or worse.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,318 of 5,671
Quote:
O2 Amp & DAC are unbelievably good. Honestly, their size doesn't convey how good these sound. Music is full and rich. Good soundstage. I have tried the Beyerdynamic A1 (which is great with a Beyer HF, but not so much with other brands. A Schiit Lyr (which is my current go to amp). Burson Soloist XL, which is fantastic (and I like it over the non SL version). And a few others. Got a Woo WA6 on the way,

The O2+ODAC com is very very good. One of the better under $300 DAC/AMP combo's out there. Sounds good on my Senn HD800, HD598, HE500's.

Don't let the small size lull you into thinking it is a cheap or toy amp. Highly recommended.

No,
the small size did not
tongue_smile.gif
 lull me into thinking it was a cheap or toy amp

... and that's why I bought them.

One of the better under $300 DAC/AMP combo's out there

.... or
tongue_smile.gif
 the best???

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,319 of 5,671
Quote:
The O2 is supposed to be transparent so any fuller or thinner sound that you hear should be from the source itself.

What defines transparency for an amp? The O2 was tested against the DAC1 and the designer of the O2 claims test subjects couldn't distinguish a difference between them (he doesn't provide any links to the tests though). Is the DAC1 considered the audiophile standard for transparency? If the DAC1 isn't transparent, then neither is the O2, right?

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,320 of 5,671
Just popping in to tell a discovery I made; seems that my O2 / ODAC stack is susceptible to radio interference from my Wi-Fi antenna. Jury's still out on whether it's the stack itself or just the shielded wires connecting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back