O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3,976 of 5,671
  Voltage regulator is an IC, right? ;p
Anyway, try the tape on the casing, maybe use some good glue that won't be affected by warmth.

Btw anyone still have some idea for the channel imbalance?

Yeah, that's what I did. Stuck a bit of electrical tape to the inside of the case.

Also, I have the same channel imbalance issue. You could go buy a better pot, but I don't know if it's possible to have negative gain.
I think Nwavguy mentioned somewhere that you can set the sampling rate to 24/44 so that even if you lower the volume on your computer the extra bits will make up for the loss of bit depth. Of course, this is assuming that your music is 16/44. I just keep the volume at 70%. I doubt that you'd be able to hear the bit depth difference between 100% and 70% in a blind test.
Oh, sorry, I lost track and thought you were attacking the OP-amps.
The MC7912/7812 are just about $0.50, and you should be able to find them pretty much everywhere. Also, they are three pins inline,which would eventually make the disoldering operation much simpler.
Chip Quik is another solution, but it will end up costing you much more than the VRs.

Oh, I've never heard of Chip Quik before. Thanks for the tip, I might get some of that for future projects.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,979 of 5,671
Hello! I really wanna know if somebody knows this:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/2030141321.html

Any word its better then none...XD

I guess it had to happen eventually.  At first glance it looks like a carbon copy copy of the PCB's, but as with most stuff made in china the parts used are just nasty, they even left out the filter choke on the ODAC board power supply to save a few cents.   Buy a real one and support a local business...

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,980 of 5,671

I guess it had to happen eventually.  At first glance it looks like a carbon copy copy of the PCB's, but as with most stuff made in china the parts used are just nasty, they even left out the filter choke on the ODAC board power supply to save a few cents.   Buy a real one and support a local business...

Wow, that's a knockoff! I'd love to see this thing on the dScope.

It's funny they've missed the entire point of the design.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #3,981 of 5,671

Wow, that's a knockoff! I'd love to see this thing on the dScope.

It's funny they've missed the entire point of the design.

Yeah, but they've fully grasped the point of capitalism. I'm not sure which is worse.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #3,982 of 5,671
Here in VN people make "clones" of famous amp/dac design as well. But (at least for audio gear) our manufacturing capacity has never been that great to justify producing fakes rather than importing and selling stuffs from famous companies. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #3,983 of 5,671
Yeah, but they've fully grasped the point of capitalism. I'm not sure which is worse.

Which to blame, the copiers (they actually just learned the ropes), or the owners who took away money from their own country and poured money (and knowledge) to another country to transfer labor costs to save a lot just for themselves?

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,984 of 5,671
Im about to purchase this combo to power my Q701s.

The O2 is the HeadnHifi version which seems to come with 2 sets of RCA plugs at the back?

Also, the ODAC is the EP version which comes with both RCA and jackplug.

My question is, how should I wire everything up?

O2 > ODAC via jackplug or RCA?

I also want to connect my active speakers to the chain, but I dont know to which device.

Do I connect it to the ODAC via jackplug/RCA(depending on which I use above) or do I connect it to the O2's RCA lineout?

So from above it will be either one of these setup:

/>RCA>--(Active Speakers)
                                                            /
(PC)---->USB>---(ODAC)-->RCA>--(O2)-- \
                                                             \>Jackplug>--(Headphones)

/
(PC)---->USB>---(ODAC)-->JackPlug>--(O2)-->Jackplug>--(Headphones)

/>Jackplug>--(Active Speakers)
                                  /
(PC)---->USB>---(ODAC)-->RCA>--(O2)-->Jackplug>--(Headphones)

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #3,986 of 5,671
Whats wrong with the china amp? I don't see anything in particular wrong with the amp. Is it just the quality of the components? And where is a choke left out? How do you know/see?

@Jony Maybe consider just buying http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/desktop-headphone-amplifiers/O2-ODAC-fully-modded this. You can connect the speakers to the analog input.

If you want it cheaper and in seperate cases just use your 2nd or 3rd example. Whichever is easiest with the wires.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,988 of 5,671
  Im about to purchase this combo to power my Q701s.

The O2 is the HeadnHifi version which seems to come with 2 sets of RCA plugs at the back?

Also, the ODAC is the EP version which comes with both RCA and jackplug.

My question is, how should I wire everything up?

O2 > ODAC via jackplug or RCA?

I also want to connect my active speakers to the chain, but I dont know to which device.

Do I connect it to the ODAC via jackplug/RCA(depending on which I use above) or do I connect it to the O2's RCA lineout?

So from above it will be either one of these setup:

/
(PC)---->USB>---(ODAC)-->RCA>--(O2)-- \
                                                             \>Jackplug>--(Headphones)

/
(PC)---->USB>---(ODAC)-->JackPlug>--(O2)-->Jackplug>--(Headphones)

/>Jackplug>--(Active Speakers)
                                  /
(PC)---->USB>---(ODAC)-->RCA>--(O2)-->Jackplug>--(Headphones)

Thanks.

If you're going with Head'n'Hifi then you should look to buy the ODAC XL and the O2 Desktop version. Depending on what headphones you're going to drive I'd suggest gains of 1x / 3x. Connect your PC via USB to the input on the rear of the ODAC. Run RCA phono cables from the rear of the ODAC (output) to the rear of the O2 (input). Connect the O2 to your loudspeakers via the RCA outputs on the O2. Use 1x gain when driving your speakers. Job done.

How do I know this? I have exactly this set-up.

I'm selling my ODAC / O2 if you're interested.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,989 of 5,671
Cheers for that.
But unfortunately it's all been paid for and ready for shipment.
Its just the regular desktop O2 and the regular ODAC with RCA/jackplug.
Also, would 1x gain be enough for the Q701?

And out of curiousity, how much would you have wanted for your combo? :D

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #3,990 of 5,671
  Cheers for that.
But unfortunately it's all been paid for and ready for shipment.
Its just the regular desktop O2 and the regular ODAC with RCA/jackplug.
Also, would 1x gain be enough for the Q701?

And out of curiousity, how much would you have wanted for your combo? :D

I'd take £100 for both units as well as a pair of Schiit PYST interconnects.

Walter's a nice reasonable guy. Send him an email saying you'd like different units and, unless he's already posted them, I'm sure he'd accommodate you.

And yes, 1x is enough for decent, but not deafening, volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back