O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,916 of 5,671
that's always the problem with taste. we tend to assume that we will like real sound and so we think that transparent is what we'll love the most.
when in practice, there is only a minority of people who love transparency.
neutral gears are most likely called boring in reviews, and strangely enough, colored amp are the ones described as natural. I guess euphony is what many people are really looking for, not high resolution nor transparency.
now the simple fact that you(Zorro) notice a clear difference with the ember tells me it is not a transparent amp. still, what matters is to enjoy the sound.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,917 of 5,671
that's always the problem with taste. we tend to assume that we will like real sound and so we think that transparent is what we'll love the most.
when in practice, there is only a minority of people who love transparency.
neutral gears are most likely called boring in reviews, and strangely enough, colored amp are the ones described as natural. I guess euphony is what many people are really looking for, not high resolution nor transparency.
now the simple fact that you(Zorro) notice a clear difference with the ember tells me it is not a transparent amp. still, what matters is to enjoy the sound.

Yeah, I agree. It would probably be fair to state that the O2 is more transparent but that the Ember is more musical (or euphonic), to my ears. It would seem that I like the concept of transparency but I find the reality to be somewhat bland.

I think the extra power plays it's part too. I'm able to listen at much higher levels than is possible on the O2. I found with the O2 that the sound tended towards edginess as the volume increased. I hadn't noticed that as a problem until I moved to the Ember.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,918 of 5,671
+1. It's true that the O2 can lean a bit towards edginess. Listening to the O2 right after using the LD I+ made me realized that. But most of the time I still feel that the O2 (and ODAC) offers a very natural sound.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,919 of 5,671
+1. It's true that the O2 can lean a bit towards edginess. Listening to the O2 right after using the LD I+ made me realized that. But most of the time I still feel that the O2 (and ODAC) offers a very natural sound.

What do you mean by edginess?

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3,920 of 5,671

Given that the LD 1 is a low cost tube amp, it's far more likely that considered from a signal fidelity perspective  the LD  produces  distortion that sounds pleasing to you.  Which is fine.  But read post 3916 above:  many people who profess searching neutrality actually don't like it when it's presented to them.  

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #3,921 of 5,671
What do you mean by edginess?

The trebles were harsher. Upper-freqs were grainy.  On new Grados (not broken in, mind me I believe it's real),  it's too harsh and fatiguing for me. I want bright-but-smooth trebles.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,922 of 5,671

Yep. I bought the 6CQ6 version of the LD I+ and currently using Mullards tube. I bought the I+ to complement the O2, and I think it's done a great job. When I first heard the Grado SR325is + O2/ODAC combo, I immediately fell in love with the sound and sold everything else I had at that point to buy these. I have never tried Beyers or other "neutral" cans on the O2, so I can't tell if that "neutrality" is my thing. But 99% it is not, because I did not enjoy the Sony V6 nor the DT880 (on other amps).

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #3,923 of 5,671
The trebles were harsher. Upper-freqs were grainy.  On new Grados (not broken in, mind me I believe it's real),  it's too harsh and fatiguing for me. I want bright-but-smooth trebles.

For Grados, I suggest you use OCC cables (try Oyaide, very cheap). Use OCC USB cable and OCC interconnects. My O2 sounds amazing wth them (don't have the ODAC though).

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #3,924 of 5,671
Feb 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,925 of 5,671
So I should use OCC to connect the amp and the DAC, as well as for USB? For amp/DAC I see the point, but for USB I can't. I thought it would  just transfer the digital signal?

I couldn't believe it myself when I swapped USB cables myself. It changed from being "digitally" to "analogue-like". Try it. I bought a Neo Oyaide USB cable for only around US$100. Try Oyaide, very cheap (not Furutech, made a mistake, Furutech is expensive, which you don't need at all).

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #3,926 of 5,671
I couldn't believe it myself when I swapped USB cables myself. It changed from being "digitally" to "analogue-like". Try it. I bought a Neo Oyaide USB cable for only around US$100. Try Oyaide, very cheap (not Furutech, made a mistake, Furutech is expensive, which you don't need at all).

Specifically, try Neo by Oyaide dB+ Class S USB cable. Highly recommended.

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #3,928 of 5,671
Specifically, try Neo by Oyaide dB+ Class S USB cable. Highly recommended.

popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #3,929 of 5,671
Fancy USB cables are aesthetically pleasing.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,930 of 5,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back