O2 AMP + ODAC
May 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2,851 of 5,671
Btw, I was trying to sell my LCD 2 recently and a potential buyer came to listen to it at my house. He brought a Hugo Chord DAC/amp which cost north of $1000 and it definitely sounded better with the LCD 2 than the O2/ODAC. I didn't do a blind test but I felt there was a big difference. The O2/ODAC is the most expensive setup I had ever tried till that point and I was quite skeptical about the benefits of expensive setups based on what I've read on the sound science part of town till trying the Hugo Chord.

I honestly don't believe it was expectation bias or anything psychological.

May 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,852 of 5,671

Oh didn't know that, i only bought the PCB from them.

I had a go at the mouser import but the head'n'hifi kit was better value - also bear in mind Stefan uses the better B2-080 cases with the countersunk bolts rather than the self tappers that stand proud to the panel. Can't fault the kit, has everything needed including PSU with right country plug (I am in the UK).

Didn't get time last night to carry on, no time tonight either :frowning2:

May 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,854 of 5,671
So was there a particular scientific study on this? I mean for example have the different limits of human hearing  (i.e. in terms of frequency response, resolution of human hearing etc.) been quantified objectively and compared to the performance of the ODAC and DACs with a ES9018 chip. With the results showing that both surpass the said limits?

May 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,855 of 5,671
No need. I trust the science , logic and reason behind it. Same way I trust the theory of gravity when I'm walking near the edge of a cliff :wink:

Agreed. :)

May 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,856 of 5,671
I clearly can't trust my eyes whilst listening to music though because I thought you had asked if I had heard the es9023. That's what the O2 and hd800 do to you. In a world of my own right now! Listening to Damien Rice album 'O' by the way. It's a lovely album and it's recorded superbly. Highly recommended if you haven't heard it.

May 9, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,857 of 5,671
'O' is very good eh? It actually sounds very good on almost anything. If you like that, try "Kiss Each Other Clean" by Iron & Wine. Lovely sounds.

May 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,860 of 5,671
  PTom, you're in an O2+ODAC thread. Take the vitriol elsewhere.

None of us care that you felt a $1000+ amp sounded better than our $65 amp. For $65 I think we can all agree it sounds really damn good.

beerchug.gif

May 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #2,861 of 5,671
'O' is very good eh? It actually sounds very good on almost anything. If you like that, try "Kiss Each Other Clean" by Iron & Wine. Lovely sounds.

Only 2 tracks in and It's great ! I didn't realise I already have a single by him called flightless bird, American mouth. The mrs must of downloaded it, I like that song too. Thanks again for recommendation.

May 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,862 of 5,671

All I will say is I obsessed over this for a long time to find out how deep this rabbit hole goes and I'm satisfied by all the information out there to come to the conclusion that the O2/odac is transparent and you won't get 'better ' ie more hifi. I could spend my time finding all the links again but I don't need to . You need to do it for yourself and satisfy your own mind . It's a revelation! My eyes are wide open now and I am the happiest I've been in this hobby. I've stopped chasing the mystical 'end game' that the machine wants us to believe in just to keep taking our money!

May 9, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,863 of 5,671

I had a go at the mouser import but the head'n'hifi kit was better value - also bear in mind Stefan uses the better B2-080 cases with the countersunk bolts rather than the self tappers that stand proud to the panel. Can't fault the kit, has everything needed including PSU with right country plug (I am in the UK).

Didn't get time last night to carry on, no time tonight either :frowning2:

Only reason i did the Mouser route was because i wanted to use better components, but i agree the kit form is better value.

Also agree about the front panels aesthetics, i sourced my odac and o2 enclosure from them for that reason.  The red/gold PCB is just lovely too, all their parts have a quality feel to them.

May 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,864 of 5,671
I also have one of Walter's creation's and couldn't be happier. The only slight fly in the ointment was the volume knob itself. I felt it kinda cheap and let the side down so I imported a couple of fancy knobs from Mayflower Electronics in New York. Slick!

May 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,865 of 5,671
I got a subscription to gadget magazine for Xmas and I was reading an item this morning about high res DAPs . Apparently the Sony has' awesome precision in the organisation of its spacious soundstage ' and the Astell and Kern ' is dynamic and extraordinarily fluid, making for a direct and organic performance . Timing could do with a little tightening up , but there's a relaxed presentation that some will love.' This grinds my gears! Someone is getting paid to write this absolute rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back