O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 7, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #1,981 of 5,671
in that case, it is not the O2 that drives your speakers...what your speakers "see" is just the output of its internal amp..no matter what you put before the internal amp...unless you remove the internal amp, it will become unecessary for you to put O2 in the signal chain. in which case I dont think o2 is capable of driving a desktop speaker. I recommend removing the O2 and use it for something better

Haha, yeah, the O2 is only there for convenience sake, as my headphones are connected to a signal mux.  So what's actually going on is this.

-> Desktop Speakers
Xonar DX -> O2 -> audio switcher (makes it so I can pick which device my audio goes into) -<
                                                                                                                               -> K702's

This way I can switch back and forth with a simple twist of a dial!

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,982 of 5,671
In a similar (but digital) vein to jhao19's switchable setup...

I have two PCs at my desk, one is a Mac Mini (on top of the desk itself) and my Windows PC (where I've got the USB hub in my monitor cabled to one of the root USB sockets on the motherboard) and I'm aiming to use an O2+ODAC as a common sound platform for both.

So, whilst I can try swapping the ODAC USB input lead between my monitor or windows pc directly and Mac Mini to essentially 'swtich' the input; I was wondering if anyone has run their ODAC through a USB routing switch?

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,983 of 5,671
The O2 amp was not designed to drive speakers...that would be like using a Porsche to pull a load designed for a MAC truck....not a good idea at all.

Its a headphone amp....and even then there are headphones that the O2 doesn't handle really well as 98% of the other cans out there.

Take a search on DIYAUDIO and read all about it etc...

A.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,984 of 5,671
  The O2 amp was not designed to drive speakers...that would be like using a Porsche to pull a load designed for a MAC truck....not a good idea at all.

Its a headphone amp....and even then there are headphones that the O2 doesn't handle really well as 98% of the other cans out there.

Take a search on DIYAUDIO and read all about it etc...

A.

An Amp is essential a wire with gain. For his intended purpose, it is fine. He isn't powering passive speakers, but active ones. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,985 of 5,671
  Haha, yeah, the O2 is only there for convenience sake, as my headphones are connected to a signal mux.  So what's actually going on is this.

-> Desktop Speakers
Xonar DX -> O2 -> audio switcher (makes it so I can pick which device my audio goes into) -<
                                                                                                                               -> K702's

This way I can switch back and forth with a simple twist of a dial!

Should use so:

-> Desktop Speakers
Xonar DX -> audio switcher (makes it so I can pick which device my audio goes into) -> O2 -< K702's

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,986 of 5,671
An amp is theoretically a straight wire with gain when its built correctly etc....but when you attach a load on the output of the amp it affects the amp and its circuitry.....

Taking a look on DIYAudio isn't necessary but for those that want to just may be know a little more or learn something it can be a very interesting journey....but hey lots of us a happy just being appliance operators...

All the best
Alex

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,987 of 5,671
  An amp is theoretically a straight wire with gain when its built correctly etc....but when you attach a load on the output of the amp it affects the amp and its circuitry.....

Taking a look on DIYAudio isn't necessary but for those that want to just may be know a little more or learn something it can be a very interesting journey....but hey lots of us a happy just being appliance operators...

All the best
Alex

Thanks.....

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,988 of 5,671
I just received me O2D back from repair. This works was well as it did before that unfortunate event of it jumping off of my desk and damaging itself. :wink: One day turnaround time at JDS Labs and return by the end of the same week, not bad!

...detailed punchy bass, nice crisp treble, well-defined midrange...it pays to have a capable amp for my DT880s. IMO this is a good pairing.

Bob Graham

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,989 of 5,671
Glad your back online Bob!!

I have several Beyers and the O2 and ODAC are absolutely superb with them IMO.

Listening with DT1350's right now...gosh these are great little cans...

All the best
Alex

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,991 of 5,671
I do not think you will find a difference in SQ from a 16-bit source. However, I recently started to use a player on my Mac that bypasses the limitations of Core Audio and runs the O2D at 24-bit 96K. Good audio software must do the same in the form of special device drivers. I think the most benefit to be had is by bypassing Core Audio of the Mac.

Bob Graham

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,992 of 5,671
I do not think you will find a difference in SQ from a 16-bit source. However, I recently started to use a player on my Mac that bypasses the limitations of Core Audio and runs the O2D at 24-bit 96K. Good audio software must do the same in the form of special device drivers. I think the most benefit to be had is by bypassing Core Audio of the Mac.

Bob Graham

Thanks for the reply, I only prefer 24bit so I can use software volume with headroom to spare. What's the name of the software you are using?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,993 of 5,671
It is Audirvana Plus. AP compared with its rival is more inexpensive at $70. Even though it is complete with the audio performance settings, its UI functionality is lacking. You can use iTunes to manage your audio library, but there are glitches when using it as an player integrated with iTunes. I use it in standalone mode.

Bob Graham

EDIT: There is an emphasis on some higher freqs with Audirvana, one IMO being at about the 5K point.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,994 of 5,671
With my music player I can drop the bits down from 16, one bit at a time, I have done this several times and I do not hear any audible differences until I get down to 8-10 bits....amazing.

Alex

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,995 of 5,671
With my music player I can drop the bits down from 16, one bit at a time, I have done this several times and I do not hear any audible differences until I get down to 8-10 bits....amazing.

Alex

Must be very good dithering software with the player.

EDIT: It looks like the O2D supports integer mode.

Bob Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back