O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,966 of 5,671
JDS is very good at customer service.

I am sure they will repair if possible or sell you a new ODAC discounted as you indicate they said.

However...remember you had this accident, not them.....its not a JDS issue there at all....

We all have done stupid things like this....ME included.

Be careful!!

A.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,967 of 5,671
I was just wondering if the O2 would be able to drive desktop speakers?  The Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia to be exact.  I'm guessing yes, as the speakers themselves are also self powered, right?

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,972 of 5,671
jhao, you can do that, but there is no point in doing that and you also are running the risk of clipping the O 2 input stage and damaging your speakers

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,974 of 5,671
jhao, you can do that, but there is no point in doing that and you also are running the risk of clipping the O 2 input stage and damaging your speakers

It's mostly for simplicity reasons, as I have a port switcher attached to the output of the O2, and this way I can easily switch between headphones and speakers.  As long as I don't turn on the gain setting for my O2, I don't think I hear any clipping.  Will my speakers be safe as long as I don't blast my volume?

@jhao19 There really is no point in doing that. You will just amplify whatever distortion your Xonar is outputting. 

But then I wouldn't have a DAC, and my motherboard audio isn't the best =\.  Is it really bad?  I don't think I hear any distortion (at least no buzzing/hissing or anything)

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,976 of 5,671
  It's mostly for simplicity reasons, as I have a port switcher attached to the output of the O2, and this way I can easily switch between headphones and speakers.  As long as I don't turn on the gain setting for my O2, I don't think I hear any clipping.  Will my speakers be safe as long as I don't blast my volume?

But then I wouldn't have a DAC, and my motherboard audio isn't the best =\.  Is it really bad?  I don't think I hear any distortion (at least no buzzing/hissing or anything)

I'm really confused. Do you have the O2/Odac combo or separate components? Xonar (Dac) --> O2 --> speakers. If you don't hear anything then I guess it doesn't hurt if that is the setup you are going with.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,977 of 5,671
JDS is very good at customer service.

I am sure they will repair if possible or sell you a new ODAC discounted as you indicate they said.

However...remember you had this accident, not them.....its not a JDS issue there at all....

We all have done stupid things like this....ME included.

Be careful!!

A.

Well, I am impressed. I am not easily impressed. I shipped my unit in Monday. JDS Labs received it Wednesday. They repaired it and shipped it back the same day, using second day air. I will be receiving it this Friday, tomorrow.

Bob Graham

EDIT: Also, they are not charging me anything, even for the 2nd day shipping back to me.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,978 of 5,671
  I'm really confused. Do you have the O2/Odac combo or separate components? Xonar (Dac) --> O2 --> speakers. If you don't hear anything then I guess it doesn't hurt if that is the setup you are going with.

No ODAC, just the O2.  I don't own an ODAC.  And cool, maybe I just don't have a trained enough ear to pick up all the doubly amplified noise or something?  I just wanted to make sure all my components were safe :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,979 of 5,671
jhao if you are careful with the volume , you should be okay.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,980 of 5,671
in that case, it is not the O2 that drives your speakers...what your speakers "see" is just the output of its internal amp..no matter what you put before the internal amp...unless you remove the internal amp, it will become unecessary for you to put O2 in the signal chain. in which case I dont think o2 is capable of driving a desktop speaker. I recommend removing the O2 and use it for something better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back