O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,936 of 5,671
It should work, but you gonna need linear usb power supply to power the ODAC

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,937 of 5,671
Hi

I'm thinking of DIYing my own O2+DAC combo in order to give a audio standard across all my PCs. Being in the UK, it appears Headnhifi have the best prices for the kits, but I was wondering if anyone has ordered stuff from them for delivery in the UK and whether that attracted any extra taxes?

It'd be nice not to have a sting in the tail after saving a good amount of building the combo myself.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,938 of 5,671
  Hi

I'm thinking of DIYing my own O2+DAC combo in order to give a audio standard across all my PCs. Being in the UK, it appears Headnhifi have the best prices for the kits, but I was wondering if anyone has ordered stuff from them for delivery in the UK and whether that attracted any extra taxes?

It'd be nice not to have a sting in the tail after saving a good amount of building the combo myself.
biggrin.gif

I did order from them 3 or 4 times and got taxed only once. The only way to avoid taxes is to get lucky.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,942 of 5,671
  Switzerland is not EU so taxes apply. But if you choose "Weekly Priority Mail" as delivery option, it's sent from Germany every Wednesday, so no taxes. I guess this is a bit obscured info so many people don't realize it.

Thanks for this info.

Yes. I don't understand it myself but it can't be helped.
I don't mind paying taxes but £8 royalmail fee is way too much, especially when the tax itself is £3.

I don't mind paying the extra fee to Royal Mail as they are doing this service. What is absurd is this service is the default, and they don't give information to people that there is a way around this. I am not from the UK but lived there for just 5 years, I get so irritated every time I hear this Royal Mail fee. Now, the way around this is to tell the sender to label the parcel with "Goods to be declared/cleared by the recipient" or something like that and your Customs will contact you directly and you would have to complete some forms and pay them directly. It's not worth 8GBP for 1 item.

Back to topic, even with the extra fees it is still cheaper than buying locally. I think the only advantage of buying locally is if you value your country's economy. ;P

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,943 of 5,671
Quote:
  Switzerland is not EU so taxes apply. But if you choose "Weekly Priority Mail" as delivery option, it's sent from Germany every Wednesday, so no taxes. I guess this is a bit obscured info so many people don't realize it.

I did spot this option and read about it on Headnhifis website, but just wanted to check.
  I did order from them 3 or 4 times and got taxed only once. The only way to avoid taxes is to get lucky.

Just as I thought; I'll have to take my chances then.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,945 of 5,671

Well, if you use the EU shipping option there should be no duties or taxes for you since it's inside EU. At least that's what it was for me...

Joachim

Yeah, if the chap is popping over the border to Germany to post things, then no extra tax.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,946 of 5,671
my o2, odac have been running for 300+ hours with a DT1350. all i can say it's amazing. didn't sound good first later it gets better and better. not sure why. maybe some breakin and some mental break in. i really like this set up then xonar stx and ma900, however it's different with a open headphone.

one question. when i put the miles davis trumpet on the o2 and odac it sounded like, completely wrong. why is that? anybody tried this? on the stx is ok. the sound is like muffled and like when you halfway plug an earphone sometimes in a player you hear partial sounds.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,947 of 5,671
my o2, odac have been running for 300+ hours with a DT1350. all i can say it's amazing. didn't sound good first later it gets better and better. not sure why. maybe some breakin and some mental break in. i really like this set up then xonar stx and ma900, however it's different with a open headphone.

one question. when i put the miles davis trumpet on the o2 and odac it sounded like, completely wrong. why is that? anybody tried this? on the stx is ok. the sound is like muffled and like when you halfway plug an earphone sometimes in a player you hear partial sounds.

Maybe cos miles never had a good sound? :wink:

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,948 of 5,671
muscle.....what cd / track exhibits this sound?

I find that the o2 and odac follows the old adage "garbage in ..garbage out"...many songs I like have
been recorded really crappy....etc...

I look for the music I like that is well recorded and mastered....there is so much mediocre stuff out there...

Alex

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,950 of 5,671
I just bought the new O2 (the one with no battery and with RCA/ power/ input on the back) from headnhifi.com in Switzerland, because I live here.
i can make some photos if you want, but you can find them here http://www.headnhifi.com/O2-desktop-amplifier

I'm quite happy, this is my first headphone amp and I was skeptical: turns out the difference is quite noticeable. But onestly, I'm more surprised by how good it looks than its sound 
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, now my chain is complete and I'm happy of its sound.
I use it with the HE400 from hifiman.

I'm just curious of 2 things, I'm sure you can answer me.

1) Should i leave the jack in when I turn on the amp ? And when I turn it off? Should the volume be down to zero?

2) The Odac light is always on, even when my pc is off, will this ruin it? How do you turn it off?

And, just as a curiosity, for those of you that have the he400 with this amp, is 9'o clock a safe listening volume (with low gain). At what volume do you listen? I already have tinnitus on cold months (every year), I don't want to damage my earing :D 

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back