O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,907 of 5,671
I was reading this thread and saw many people saying that using a powered usb hub greatly enhances the sound of the ODAC.

could you recommend any usb hub powered up to $ 30.00 for use with ODAC?

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,908 of 5,671
  I was reading this thread and saw many people saying that using a powered usb hub greatly enhances the sound of the ODAC.

could you recommend any usb hub powered up to $ 30.00 for use with ODAC?

Whaaaaat? Who was saying that?

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,912 of 5,671

I searched the smartphone yesterday ... I can not find here on my pc ...

You do not believe that will improve the sound?

No reason why it would.
I used to connect my DACs through a USB Hub (non-powered), it caused a lot of noise.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,914 of 5,671
I'm not sure about powered hubs, but some people find that if you have DAC that's powered entirely by USB, you can improve the sound by using a battery power supply and a cable splitter. For example, Anker batteries are batteries with USB ports used for charging phones. If you get a USB Y-splitter and block the pin that carries power on the plug that goes into your laptop, all the power to the DAC comes from the battery and not from the laptop. I do this with my USB DAC. It doesn't make much difference, really, but it depends on the particular DAC model as well as on the laptop.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,915 of 5,671
Isolating the computer as a power source and substituting a decent low noise power supply, or battery, can improve the ODAC.   As not all computers are built equal your results may vary.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,916 of 5,671
  I may be wrong then ... however thanks for the help :)

Only way I can see the ODAC improving from a powered usb hub is if the usb port you are using on your computer/laptop does not provide sufficient power. I can't hear the difference between my laptop or pc or office pc (powered usb hub). Sorta like the whole cable debate. Your ears hear what you want it to hear imo. Just my two cents. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,917 of 5,671
  Isolating the computer as a power source and substituting a decent low noise power supply, or battery, can improve the ODAC.   As not all computers are built equal your results may vary.

TBH a well built power supply should be the cornerstone of any pc build.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,918 of 5,671
I agree, but a decent PC power supply makes an awful supply for a DAC.  For example in the below image the top trace is a 5v linear regulator supply, the bottom is the power coming out of the USB port on my PC, which happens to have a Corsair AX850 power supply feeding an Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard.  The real problem is the many sources of noise at various frequencies operating inside the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back