O.K. I have a Hornet,what next?
Mar 3, 2006 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

robster

500+ Head-Fier
O.K. I started with my very first headphone amp a few months ago,RS Hornet so I could go portable. But with my home system,which is separates,I'm using the hornet as my headphone amp too. Hooking the hornet to the tape out on my tube preamp and using my tt and cdp as sources. Cans are Grado RS-1's. Well should I move up to a different/better? amp for home use?
Folks seem to like the Mapletree,or any idea if the hornet will hold it's own to the Mapletree.
I'm not looking to buy now,just your thoughts on what I should think about.

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
O.K. I started with my very first headphone amp a few months ago,RS Hornet so I could go portable. But with my home system,which is separates,I'm using the hornet as my headphone amp too. Hooking the hornet to the tape out on my tube preamp and using my tt and cdp as sources. Cans are Grado RS-1's. Well should I move up to a different/better? amp for home use?
Folks seem to like the Mapletree,or any idea if the hornet will hold it's own to the Mapletree.
I'm not looking to buy now,just your thoughts on what I should think about.

Cheers,
Robert

You've got a hreat amp there and any improvement from better amps will be smallish.
What source are you using?
My guess is that for hp listening that may be the next frontier. You might try some Senns if you haven't already but the Grados are nice cans.
Source?
CPW

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

O.K.I have a Hornet,what next ?

Bee with a mini-gun ?

24_1820191370.jpg

a can of "Shoo-Fly" ?

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 10
As CPW mentioned, I don't think an upgrade will make a vast improvement. That is a terrific system you have. You might just want to kick back for a while and enjoy what you have. If the upgrade bug bites too hard, perhaps look into a few interconnects or, as a last resort, your source.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
Thanks guys,
my source is a Ah' Njoe Tjoeb CDP with upsampler and NOS tubes and a VPI HW-19MK III turntable and my Redwine Imod-ed Ipod. I can't buy another amp for a while anyway.

Cheers,
Robert

OK.
You have some pretty high end gear there and I daresay that when you do get around to upgrading your amp, you will be able to hear the difference. Just don't do a blind comparison after you spend the $. Ray's amps have a way of sounding just as good or better than many that cost more.
If you like the RSA house sound (whatever that means) you should consider a Raptor. When the time comes, you could do worse for the same money.
For me, I have a hard time hearing big differences between my SR-71 and my HR-2, though differences are there. Mainly, there something very satisfying about the heft, look and feel of a beefy home amp. Just don't expect it to sound $800 better than your Hornet. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one though.
*CPW*

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
OK.
You have some pretty high end gear there and I daresay that when you do get around to upgrading your amp, you will be able to hear the difference. Just don't do a blind comparison after you spend the $. Ray's amps have a way of sounding just as good or better than many that cost more.
If you like the RSA house sound (whatever that means) you should consider a Raptor. When the time comes, you could do worse for the same money.
For me, I have a hard time hearing big differences between my SR-71 and my HR-2, though differences are there. Mainly, there something very satisfying about the heft, look and feel of a beefy home amp. Just don't expect it to sound $800 better than your Hornet. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one though.
*CPW*

What he said.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Since you're not looking to buy now, you have plenty of time to go to a meet and listen to some alternatives--even the Head-fi National meet this April.
evil_smiley.gif

I own a Hornet for use as a portable amp. It is my opinion that many people could use the Hornet as a "home" amp and be perfectly happy. However, for home use I think you can improve over the sound of the Hornet if you are willing to spend more money. The areas in which I feel my home amps improve over the Hornet are dynamics, body, and a more "liquid" sound.

I looked at your profile and see that you are a "tube" sort of person. (Nice "stuff" by the way)
biggrin.gif
I would suggest that you would appreciate having a tube home amp. I certainly suggest that you listen to the Mapletree, but think that the Raptor or one of the SinglePower amps might be more of a step up
(albeit for more money).

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Hm, a really big amp with a really nasty powersupply should make a decent difference, but why if you're happy with the hornet? Did you ever get into crossfeed? Maybe a Corda Cross? I glimpsed at your profile, and what else is left to do there? Upgrade the AC-cables?

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Many thanks guys,I do love my hornet! so I'll keep a eye out for a used Raptor or Mapletree.
I do love tubes!
and I'll order a few Signal cable power cords for my amps and preamp. The Ah' CDP has a upgraded power cord already.
And getting a SAMA stand alone motor assembly for my VPI HW-19 MKIII is on my list too. But all of this is down the road.

This forum is so helpful!

Folks are friendly and smart!

Cheers,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back