NY-Long Island Mini Meet -Sept 12
Sep 17, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #31 of 44
I had the HP1 at the same time with the HP2 (I still have), and the two cans are the same cans, but switchless (HP2) is something better...

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #32 of 44
Wow, congrats guys - the toys look top notch, I'm jealous! I concour with the sediments suggested regarding smaller intimate meets, you get a lot of quality head time. I also think soft furnishings help open headphones sound their best.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, congrats guys - the toys look top notch, I'm jealous! I concour with the sediments suggested regarding smaller intimate meets, you get a lot of quality head time. I also think soft furnishings help open headphones sound their best.

African elephant masks are the new shakti stone
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
African elephant masks are the new shakti stone
wink.gif

Yeah but the masks shouldn’t be wearing the phones, dam it!
icon10.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #36 of 44
I looked up the monitor speakers I had heard at a audiocircle rave that we where discussing.
They where Opera Audio Callas,these are killer monitors that can compete with full range speakers in a small room.
One currently for sale on audiogon.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #37 of 44
Going through some Meet threads after a while... and loving every minute of it. Cheers.

I agree with most of people say or speculate about the Omegas after a short audition: More Forward than O2s, lush sound, sound signature much closer to HEs than O2s, easier to drive,... And yes, vcoheda, they can be fatiguing after a while (all-night-long kind of while, but still...).

However I have to disagree on the soundstage issue. Most people impression is that it is smaller than the HE90 and that has to be due to different amplification. The SR-Omega have huge horizontal soundstage, only surpassed by K1000s and R10s (pretty close to the R10s in quite some recordings, actually). The SR-Omega has (quite often remarkably) bigger soundstage than the Omega2 (although a bit diffuse compared with the image accuracy on the later) and same goes with the HE90 (horizontal-wise because the HE90 always gives me the impression of being in an auditorium with higher ceiling if that makes any sense).

I had to jump in because it seems as odd as if people were complaining about bass roll-off on the L3000s or lack of detail on the Qualias. It sounds really weird to me...

Not that I'm obsessed with the Omegas or anything. I might open a bakery in Nordic regions if it ever comes to that
tongue_smile.gif
It's just that I feel this is one of the few things I have something to add to the community. Cheers.

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #39 of 44
indeed - meet conditions from a KGSS are not the best representation of the Omegas, to be certain

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE90/HEV90 was also in attendance. Compared to Tom's (bozebuttons) pair, the soundstage was much smaller. This was most probably due to the lack of break in but the main components of the sound were there. Holographic imaging, ethereal bass, clean, clean, clean sound. These are the most effortless sounding headphones I've heard BUT I still think the O2s do better on some tracks.

Care to elaborate on this one? It's odd that soundstage in two HE90s can be so different, or that break in can modify in such a significative way the soundstage. It might modify tonal balance, etc.. but I wouldn't say soundstage. At least in such significative way. Amps can change this a lot but you are saying that it was driven by HEV90 which provides with good soundstage to the HE90s. Sources can have quite big impact as well. And the recordings can have a huge impact too, so I wonder if it weren't all those factors in play instead of real differences between both HE90s....

Were there old and new batch? Are we implying that there is a noticeable differences between them? I did read something about it but it never was clear to me...

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. And I totally agree with you Doug: Actually, I wouldn't think the KGSS is a great match for the SR-Omegas. (Big caveat here as I sold the KGSS before getting the SR-Omegas. Just stating this based in sound signatures for them and how similar the sound signatures of HE60s and Omegas can be sometimes and the fact that HE60 wasn't a perfect match for the KGSS IMHO. Very well driven but a bit cold and thin sometimes. I think both like tubes or a bit warmer amps instead). Cheers.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I'm obsessed with the Omegas or anything. I might open a bakery in Nordic regions if it ever comes to that
tongue_smile.gif

Best quote ever!

I think Tom can elaborate a bit more on the soundstage issue but when I heard Tom's pair vs Danny's pair (and even Ray's pair) the soundstage difference was the first thing I've heard. All the HE90s had that large scale soundstage but with Danny's pair, the soundstage was compressed a bit more.

It might have been recording/amp/source/etc differences too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #42 of 44
^ i noticed this too. Tom's pair was extremely airy and Danny's was less so. Of course, this wasn't an A/B comparison but still it was something that stuck out.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 44
Thanks guys for clarifying this. I did some digging myself and I found posts from Tom elaborating on this one. It seems like there might be real differences there between batches, then. I wonder if it is due construction more than real break-in issues. I don't recall finding big differences in soundstage while breaking in phones before... Interesting...

Not that I trust bozze that much. It's not like he had exposure to that many phones after all...
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #44 of 44
Hi guys,

Just seeing above for first time. Have a feeling that sound of Orpheus was affected by the triple splitting of source signal into the amp as I needed to accomodate a bunch of amps off one DAC and the HEV90 was the last componet in a triple Y splitter daiseychain configuration for that day.

Now have it hooked up directly and it sounds superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back