Nuked my ATH-CK7s? Upgrade? SF5? SA6?
Oct 21, 2008 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
So perhaps I did a stupid thing this morning. I used rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip to clean the filters on my ATH-CK7s. Well, a few minutes later, I put them on and noticed that I had very little sound coming from the left driver. So, I am afraid I nuked them.

I have been looking to upgrade for a long time, so I guess now is the time. I think I am pretty much settled on the Sleek SA6s, but I have a few questions...

1) How does the sound of the SA6 compare to that of the ATH-CK7? (If anyone knows.)

2) Is moving from the ATH-CK7 to the SA6 a real upgrade?

3) I use my IEMs daily: during my walking commute, at the gym, etc. Can the SA6s take the abuse and last for at least two years?

4) Aside from the bi-flange, can anyone recommend other tips for the SA6s? Shure Olives? Comply? What about the Jays Silicon sleeves? What about the regular tips from Ultimate Ears (non-bi-flange)? Will all of these work with varying degrees of isolation?

Finally, I am curious about the UE Super.fi 5 (non-pro). How do they sound compared to the ATH-CK7s? I ask this more for my GF who wanted my ATH-CK7s after I upgraded. But if they are broken now, perhaps I should consider buying her something else. I would think that the ATH-CK7s and SF5s would be almost direct competitors in some ways, but of course the SF5s cost like twice as much at the CK7s.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 21
I think that if you use your ear phone at the gym a wireless earphone like the SA6 should be convenient.

About the tips, it really depends of you ears.. I use sometime the Shure silicon (small size) to get a really tight deep fit, but they are a bit pain full.The small Sleek are much more enjoyable to wear but dont give me optimum bass response.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 21
I guess my question is, are all the tips listed here are compatible with the SA6s?

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 21
I also broke my CK7's yesterday, pi$$ed me right off, stuck with either the left channel of my audio technicas of some old knackered horrible cx300's that sound to times muddier than when they were new.

I'm also considering SA's, and also super fi 5/pro.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also broke my CK7's yesterday, pi$$ed me right off, stuck with either the left channel of my audio technicas of some old knackered horrible cx300's that sound to times muddier than when they were new.

I'm also considering SA's, and also super fi 5/pro.

I guess for me personally, it comes down to the SA6, Q-Jays, or SF5Pros. I am leaning strongly towards the SA6.

But in term of buying for my GF, the SF5s are enough.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 21
I think the SA6 can handle normal abuse when in ear. The problem comes in when not wearing them. I always put them in a hard case. I think you are really risking breaking them if you just shove them in a pocket.

First hand I know Sure olives, comply, jays tips all fit. Jays fit the worst but those are the ones I use. I cant answer either quiestions 1 or 2 though.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the SA6 can handle normal abuse when in ear. The problem comes in when not wearing them. I always put them in a hard case. I think you are really risking breaking them if you just shove them in a pocket.

First hand I know Sure olives, comply, jays tips all fit. Jays fit the worst but those are the ones I use. I cant answer either quiestions 1 or 2 though.

Thanks, hippy! Mucho help!

What is your ratio of using the SA6 vs. the SE530 these days? 50/50?

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 21
Im actually using the Sures alot more these days since Ive been listening to more pop hip hop type music. I get on these funny kicks and its not usually pop music but thats what it is these days. I like the bass of the sure with that music.

Ill be using the Sleeks alot more though since Ill be ordering the W-1 wireless kit in the next few days. No more catching the cable while jogging on the treadmill is what Im hoping.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im actually using the Sures alot more these days since Ive been listening to more pop hip hop type music. I get on these funny kicks and its not usually pop music but thats what it is these days. I like the bass of the sure with that music.

Ill be using the Sleeks alot more though since Ill be ordering the W-1 wireless kit in the next few days. No more catching the cable while jogging on the treadmill is what Im hoping.

According to SoundEarphones.com...

The SE530 cost $450 and the SA6 cost $200.

Would you then conclude that the SA6 only offer 44% of the performance of the SE530? More? Less?

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Hmm I'm interested in knowing the difference between the CK7 and the SA6 as well since I didn't manage to give the SA6 a proper audition when I was planning my upgrade. Got the Superfi.5 pro instead.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I'm interested in knowing the difference between the CK7 and the SA6 as well since I didn't manage to give the SA6 a proper audition when I was planning my upgrade. Got the Superfi.5 pro instead.

You upgraded from the CK7s? Why did you choose the SF5Ps over the SA6s? Are you happy with the upgrade?

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You upgraded from the CK7s? Why did you choose the SF5Ps over the SA6s? Are you happy with the upgrade?

Haha I actually went from sfi3 to CK7 before going for the SF5Ps. Like I said, I didn't get to fiddle with the treble and bass ports of the SA6 and the fact that it felt brittle in my rather large pair of hands made me drop the idea of owning one. I decided to try the SF5Ps, Qjays and the TF10 but I prefer the SF5Ps instead.

And I'm not regretting it
icon10.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 21
I went through that path, started with the ATH-CK7 and ended up with the SA-6. They sound nothing alike. The CK7 has a more even sound in general, but the SA-6 sound can be customized with the different ports and tips. The big benefit is a big boost with isolation and details.

IMO, if you want an IEM, skip the CK7. I would only buy the CK7 if one is looking for a different type of ear bud.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha I actually went from sfi3 to CK7 before going for the SF5Ps. Like I said, I didn't get to fiddle with the treble and bass ports of the SA6 and the fact that it felt brittle in my rather large pair of hands made me drop the idea of owning one. I decided to try the SF5Ps, Qjays and the TF10 but I prefer the SF5Ps instead.

And I'm not regretting it
icon10.gif

So you handled (but did not audition the SA6s) but did audition the SF5Ps, Q-Jays, and TF10s...and decided on the SF5Ps?

pedxing: I already own the CK7s. I will be upgrading from them.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you handled (but did not audition the SA6s) but did audition the SF5Ps, Q-Jays, and TF10s...and decided on the SF5Ps?

pedxing: I already own the CK7s. I will be upgrading from them.

Haha I did listen with the SA6, but I couldn't give it a proper test because the dual flanges got stuck in my ears and that somehow 'nerfed' the sound. Added to the fact of the general fill, I just gave up auditioning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back