Nuforce NE-8 --- Initial Impressions
Dec 14, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #18 of 32

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Posts
3,797
Likes
28
mmmm...so the NE-8 you're saying is bass light?
How about the bass quality wise versus the Denon c700?
I was concerned about your statement about the KSC-75 having more bass so I listened to my KSC-75 that were lying on my computer table hehe.

mmmmm....tossup......

That said, one advantage the C700 have over the Nuforce NE-8 I can conclude is that the c700's are more balanced.
 
Dec 14, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 32

Hooran

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Posts
309
Likes
10
I have never listened to the Denon c700, so I do not know how they compare in terms of bass quality.

I'll try to describe it though, using my TF10s as reference. Comparatively, the NE-8's bass still sounds very clean and tight. However, for the NE-8, when a drum pounds, you can hear some of the very low low registers missing. Some of that "headshaking" effect, or the "aftersound" from when a snare hits is diminished. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

As an experiment, I turned up the volume to the point of it hurting my ears a bit for a few seconds. The bass remained very clean.

I'll be waiting for my FiiO E5 to arrive sometime this week and test how the NE-8s sound amped.
 
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #21 of 32

memphiskat

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Posts
27
Likes
0
I am considering a pair of these. It seems everyone says the bass is not as good as the NE7. Would you say though that the bass is flat to its roll off point? I can live without the lowest registers if it's reasonably extended and flat to its roll of point. As a point of reference I have a pair of JMLab towers that are flat to about 40hz but then roll off smoothly with probably nothing below 30hz. I also have a subwoofer, but only use it for video/movies and turn it off for pure music listening because the bass from the towers is more accurate, even if not as extended. If anyone has these and the Westone UM1s I'm also considering those. Comfort is a big factor to me as well and the Westones seem to good rewiews on that. Sorry if I'm rambling
redface.gif
 
Jan 8, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #22 of 32

tailai

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 29, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
i just got the nuforce ne-8 today, the packaging was nice and clean. okay, i'll get to the point.

when i tried them on, it was pretty tricky and hard to adjust the earphones, and it wouldn't fit in quite well.

the nuforce ne-8 is definitely not recommended for bass lovers, not even for those who don't mind bass. you will get a feeling that something is missing. on the contrary, the sound is very crispy, clear, and flat.

i'm burning my ne-8 right now, to see if whether or not the bass will improve. i will also try with the fiio E5 amp with the bass booster on when it arrives.

this is all based on my personal taste, don't take my words for it.
 
Jan 8, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #23 of 32

jowens

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 13, 2004
Posts
153
Likes
10
Talai, yes please keep us posted.

I also have an E5 on the way for my 8s.

I think burn in helped with overall clarity quite a bit, and some with the bass too. 100+ hours was the sweet spot, with a little bit more improvement up to 200 which I have on them now.
 
Jan 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 32

tailai

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 29, 2008
Posts
13
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by memphiskat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering a pair of these. It seems everyone says the bass is not as good as the NE7. Would you say though that the bass is flat to its roll off point? I can live without the lowest registers if it's reasonably extended and flat to its roll of point. As a point of reference I have a pair of JMLab towers that are flat to about 40hz but then roll off smoothly with probably nothing below 30hz. I also have a subwoofer, but only use it for video/movies and turn it off for pure music listening because the bass from the towers is more accurate, even if not as extended. If anyone has these and the Westone UM1s I'm also considering those. Comfort is a big factor to me as well and the Westones seem to good rewiews on that. Sorry if I'm rambling
redface.gif



i have to say the bass IS flat to roll off point.
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 32

4sound

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Posts
283
Likes
10
I found that the clarity is excellent. Bass is there but not as prevalent as the upper mids. The comply T500 tips really helped get a better idea of what they can do due to the isolation.

I also have the KSC75 and there is more bass with the KSC75 but where there is a big difference is more clarity in the mids and highs of the NE8.
 
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #27 of 32

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
797
Quote:

Originally Posted by tailai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to say the bass IS flat to roll off point.


Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the clarity is excellent. Bass is there but not as prevalent as the upper mids. The comply T500 tips really helped get a better idea of what they can do due to the isolation.

I also have the KSC75 and there is more bass with the KSC75 but where there is a big difference is more clarity in the mids and highs of the NE8.



I have about 200 hours on the NE-8 now, and with Complys T400 tips the bass has reached acceptable levels, but I still prefer the extra bass and easier fit of the NE-7M. The NE-8 do seem to have a little more clarity and soundstage, but because of the difficulty getting them to fit and seal due to the shape vs my funny ears I will pick the NE-7M. I would say these are very close to the ER6i in most areas, and are a good sounding IEM for the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that Ne-8 is PL-30 without bass knobs. The PL-30 came with Foamies too, which made darken sound stage but better bass. Bass knobs quite amazing too.


It is not a PL-30 without bass knobs because it has different drivers made specifically for Nuforce, and according to peeps who have heard both the NE-8 offer better clarity.
 
Jan 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #28 of 32

crazymario

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Posts
10
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 200 hours on the NE-8 now, and with Complys T400 tips the bass has reached acceptable levels, but I still prefer the extra bass and easier fit of the NE-7M. The NE-8 do seem to have a little more clarity and soundstage, but because of the difficulty getting them to fit and seal due to the shape vs my funny ears I will pick the NE-7M. I would say these are very close to the ER6i in most areas, and are a good sounding IEM for the price.



It is not a PL-30 without bass knobs because it has different drivers made specifically for Nuforce, and according to peeps who have heard both the NE-8 offer better clarity.



Exactly the same... And the Nuforce Ne-7s are Pl-11 too. You can try the PL-11 and PL-30, believe me...
 
Jan 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #29 of 32

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
797
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly the same... And the Nuforce Ne-7s are Pl-11 too. You can try the PL-11 and PL-30, believe me...


You are the first to say that (that I have seen). Everyone else with both has said the Nuforce are better too.

Also, I did update my NE-7M review with the NE-8 the other day.
 
Jan 23, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #30 of 32

jowens

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 13, 2004
Posts
153
Likes
10
Just wanted to add my experience using the NE-8s with a Fiio E5 for the last few days.

In short, a HUGE difference!

Huge boost in bass and overall clarity. I know these are low impedence phones, and really shouldn't need and amp, but my goodness - the E5 transformed them, at least for me.

The best I can describe is that before amping, the phones sounded like they were good but capable of much more , and now they are effortless.

I do not feel the need to use the "bass boost" function on the amp. In fact the bass is tighter, and the sound cleaner with it off.

I have been using then with a Clip, no EQ, and complys.

I am now getting the type of sound I have been looking for with the other IEMS I have owned ( UM1, Atrio M5, AT-CK7, Q-Jays and RE2) - great bass, non-recessed mids, clear highs.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top