Nuforce NE-700m Review
Jun 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
[size=12.0pt]Nuforce NE-700m Review[/size]

[size=12.0pt]First Impressions:  A rather smaller box than I was expecting.  Still this is Nuforce’s “flagship” IEM so given the relatively mixed feelings I had about the previous two this shall be interesting.  Visually these are pretty sedate affairs.  Dare I say it in comparison to the 770 these are positively boring.  You could of course say they are far more grown up looking and they are.  They are also a shed more weighty than the weightless 770 too.  These are clearly all metal, machined aluminium the spec sheet says.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]First listen and oh god, thick heavy, bassy.  I’m thinking these will want a good long burn in and maybe the pairing of a bright amp.  Shockingly I’m thinking right away the rather bright sounding Nuforce Icon Mobile might be the amp for these.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Source:  Nuforce Icon Mobile, Fireye DA, FiiO E7/E9 combo, 1G Ipod shuffle and for phone use a Galaxy Nexus.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Lows:  Big and abundant.  They bass is clearly taking centre stage and I can’t say I love that.  I did find it’s a little bit fussy in what you pair it to.  You see I think Nuforce have assumed that this is going to be paired with DAPs that are likely to roll off the lows.  If you then pair it with something that doesn’t you get rather a lot.  Still pairing up with its stable mate, the Icon Mobile, which is known to be rather bright, they pair up very well.  I found the combo to be very enjoyable.  The bass with its still elevated quantity rolled off a little bit more and so was much more tolerable to the ear.  The warm E7/E9 combo produced a low, low end that felt like it wanted to shake my skull apart.  Even with the phone the quantity was significant yet it lacked the quickness on the Icon Mobile.  The 700 is not the fastest low end that ever there was.  It felt much more at home with slower, thicker stuff particularly when not well powered.  It’s great big bottom end has great authority but it lacks in agility the way a large 4x4 (SUV for Americans) can hurl itself into a corner.  It will go round but it doesn’t feel nimble and effortless.  The trade-off is you get a large sumptuous sound.  The bass is velvety melted chocolate that you can sink into.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]When you do make it pound out a quicker bass line it will do it but I felt the bass a bit overblown.  It doesn’t start and stop terribly quickly and you get a big wall of powerful bass.  For me it got tiring but I’m not a bass head and I could see many really enjoying its low end.  The more mainstream crowd in particular I’m sure would find it most entertaining.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Mids:  Rather recessed behind that bass if you ask me.  Tonally its rather on the warm side of things like the rest of the IEM so you don’t get the most explicit vocals ever.  They are rather lovely though, smooth and gentle on the ear, just washing over it.  For things with smooth, melodic vocals they work great and for songs with vocalists that erm, shall we say are lacking a bit, this smooth’s and sands the rough edges.  If you’re after light and breathy vocals though these will suffocate them a bit.  “The Bird and The Bee” stuff feels too heavy vocally.  They should be full of air and dry but the NE-700 just isn’t capable of that sort of thing.  It depends on what style you like, the sound has been hugely popular and Sony has used it for years as do many others.  [/size]

[size=12.0pt]For me though I find its thickness and richness a bit more than I’d like to see.  It obscures things and the detail retrieval suffers for it.  I shouldn’t really complain at that as it’s a preference thing but I like to listen out for little things and this just isn’t that sort of IEM.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Highs:  You know what to expect I think.  It’s warm so softened, gentle highs that roll off a bit.  Tbh that works great for me as I hate nothing worse than harshness in the highs.  Here they are smooth and gentle no matter really what you do.  Maybe not one for aggressive rock then.  These just do not want to do abrasive and aggressive.  The down side to that is they could be said to lack detail and they do a bit.  It’s more that they don’t thrust the brutal edge of a high note at you like some do so they don’t have the sense of detail about them.  They aren’t terrible detail wise but you’ll have listen out and pay attention to notice.  Extension wise too these aren’t stellar but they do have a gentle roll away with a nice shimmery fade.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Not one for the treble junkies.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Soundstage:  Placement I found a bit unfocused but they have a significant scale to them.  They feel big and powerful even if you can’t place things anywhere in particular nor do they feel particularly distant.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Fit:  Sealed dynamics, joy.  Actually not bad but I did find I got on best with these once I slapped on a pair of Comply’s.  It was quicker that way.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Comfort:  Given their weight you maybe think there could be an issue but no, naturally I wore them up and they were fine.  The cord and your ear takes the weight so you really don’t notice.   Worn down the mic as always caught on collars and got annoying but that always happens to me with mic’s.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Cable:  Fairly non descript.  Feels sturdy particularly the jack and the Y splitter.  The Y splitter seems very sturdy, nice chin slider too.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Microphonics:  Not bad even worn down.  There is a chin slider to help if that’s how you like to wear them.  Naturally worn up there’s really no issue.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Accessories:  Not a vast assortment.  You get a little brown baggie and 6 pairs of tips.  Its only three sizes though, i.e. you get 2 pairs of each or I did anyway.  The spec’s say you get 3 pairs.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Phone Use:  Made a call, they could hear me fine despite my wearing them up and the mic sitting just below my ear.  So seems to be a success there.  Control wise it’s the 1 press for play/pause, 2 to skip a track etc etc.  That worked just fine too.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Amped/Unamped:  They didn’t seem to mind if amped or not but responded for more to what they were paired with.  Shockingly they paired best with Icon Mobile particularly in the vocals but they seemed to otherwise run just fine form anything including my phone.  My phone’s pretty clean and crisp rather than something warm like an Iphone.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Isolation:  Pretty good for dynamic.  Of course it is a closed dynamic so that is to be expected.  Good enough for normal out and about or on a bus.  Not what I’d really want for a great long flight but it would do in a pinch.  Naturally enough to get you run over if you don’t look where you’re going.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Value:  Hmmm, like many Nuforce products it matters if your American or not.  I can see the 700x going for £63 and the 700m for £75.  If I was American then they go for US$65 or US$75 respectively.  That’s a bit or a jump as just now US$75 equates to £49.40 according to google today.  That’s a 50% price increase to pay in pounds rather than US dollars.  Eek![/size]

[size=12.0pt]Conclusion:  These don’t wow me in any given area but they are a nice, solid IEM.  They are solidly constructed and have a solidly good, warm rich sound to them.  They are mostly natural sounding in the vocals if a touch heavy and they sound lovely.  They ooze and flow like a viscous cream and I do like it.  Its coloured but in a pleasant way.  Their rich warmth is undoubtedly a popular style and very listenable.  Particularly I can see their low end to be rather popular in the mainstream.  It I think is just a sound that’s maybe not aimed so much at the likes of those on Head-fi.  These aren’t the most detailed nor the most revealing but they aren’t trying to be.  It’s all about the weighty sumptuousness and power they offer.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]So these are pretty flavoured sounding and only you can say if that’s something you’re after.  I found that its works very well with the likes of Jayson Mraz or Eric Huntchinson.  Especially with Mr Hutchinsons big bass with heavy vocals.  It’s rhythmically gently bouncy and eminently foot tapping.  It’s just not one that’s going to make you launch off your chair and go dancing round the room.  It’s much more relaxed and sedate than that.  Relaxed and sedate music is too where I felt there at their best too.  The fastest music didn’t have the bight and crispness you want for it unless you want to soften things.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]These are the sort of thing I’d expect to see sold in the likes of John Lewis.  It’s a good sold set physically and aurally.  Good solid low end to them and a warm beefy power that should be popular.  The quality is good if rather flavoured.  It’s the aural equivalent of a hot chocolate topped with skooshy cream and marshmallows.  So long as you weren’t expecting an Earl Grey I’m sure anyone buying or getting these as a gift should be very content with them.[/size]

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Nuforce NE-700m Quick Review

Thanks to Nuforce for the sample

Brief:  Nuforce’s grown up IEM.

Price:  US$75 or £75 for the m US$65 or £63 for the non mic’d x version

Specification:  Driver Size: 8mm, Impedance: 16 Ohms, Frequency Response: 20 to 20kHz, Max. Input Power: 10 mW, Sensitivity: 105 dB+/-3d, Plug: 3.5mm, Directivity: Omni-directional, Max Input Sound Level: 115db S.P.L, Weight : 15.4 grams, Length: 54 inches, Warranty: 1 Year., Microphone Sensitivity: -38dB +/-3dB, Connector Specification: 3.5mm 4-pole stereo/iPhone compatible plug

Accessories:  3 pairs of single flange ear-tips, one carrying pouch (but I got 2 pairs of each tips)

Build Quality:  Very solid.  They are weighty and feel very sturdy.  They should survive a good while.

Isolation:  Quite a lot for a dynamic.  They are pretty well sealed and will provide more than enough isolation to get you run over if you aren’t looking where you’re going.  Should be fine for normal everyday use and the odd short flight.

Comfort/Fit:  Given their weight wearing down added to the mic catching it was annoying but worn up the weight vanishes.  Fit wise I could have done with them boing less sealed but adding a pair of foam tips fixed that for me.

Aesthetics:  If you get the m you get “Smoky Bronze” and x you get “Aqua Silver.”  In pics I think the grey looks nicer but I always think the one I didn’t get looks nicer.  So vastly different form the gaudy 770 these are much more grown up looking.

Sound:  Like other Nuforce IEM’s these seem to be largely about the bass.  The richness and the power it’s got behind it.  If you ask me it’s a bit slow to do fast party bass.  I want more agility there and this will just thunder through with powerful abundance.  I thought to continue its more mature theme was at its best with smoother slower music.  Big, thick, rich low end smoothness.  Mids are mostly natural sounding, a bit of over thickness to them but they sound nice.  They also cover up the failings of many modern “singers” with a hint of soft focus.  The highs are pretty laid back, touch muted affairs.  Smooth and gentle on the ear.  These are mostly about the bass though, lots of it and just spades of power behind it.  Something that is never going to need the use of a bass boosting amp.

Value:  Have a look at the prices above.  Huge price jump for UK and the rest of the world.  Otherwise at US prices you’re paying for a bit for the name and the premium metalness of it all.  I don’t think these are aimed at audiophiles but more the mainstream who appreciate sturdiness and bass as their foremost concerns.

Pro’s:   Should survive much abuse, tremendous low end power.

Con’s:  Pricey for non americans, very bassy

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 6
vpulse, no idea.

the wooduo2, well its a good few quality levels up on the 700.  though personally i found its bass to be so huge i wouldnt be able to live with them for long.  the 700 is more of an all rounder, still very bassy but less oppressively so.

actually if im really honest, i liked the NE-600x more.  its quality level is very high and while still way too bassy its soooooo cheap its hard not to cut it alot of slack.  especially if your happy to eq down the bass on the 600.  though since you ask about the wooduo maybe youd be very happy with all that bass.  assuming you read my review of the wooduo 2 too then do bare in mind when it was written what price it was coming in at, its wastly cheaper now than it was so if your after a ton of bass (i suspect you are) then its positively a bargin presently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back