Nuforce Icon HDP into Mac help
Aug 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
The new mac mini instantly recognized the Icon when connected via USB, but I'm wondering if there's some audio options somewhere I can go to thats recommended I change khz or whatever, I seem to recall doing this on PC but I don't remember exactly what and I'm new to OSX. I'm on Lion for reference.

Also I've read a lot of the back and forth over USB vs SPDIF and seems it never really came to a clear consensus other than to "trust your ears", I'm wondering though if there's more clear preference when its only Macs as the source being considered. Its the only source the Icon will be connected to for the unforeseeable future so I'm just trying to figure out what I want and to stick with it. I don't see any benefits to either outside of SQ other than I can still mute my computer when connected via USB, not to say I really need it.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 11
That's for the uDAC2 but I assume everything's the same (change to 96Hz / 2ch-24 bit?) just clarifying since my mac default was I believe 48Hz / 2ch-16 bit. Also would it be the same for both optical and USB? I haven't figured out which I'm sticking with yet.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 11
The guidelines for system settings are intended to assist you in the setup and operation of your Nuforce 24bit/96kHz USB DAC products (Icon HDP, uDAC-2, uDAC2-HP, Icon2 etc). USB is good only to 24bit/96kHz any higher resolutions must use the coax or optical SPDIF.

Best Regards,
JasonS

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I'm using optical and while it lets me select 96hz. when I get out of audio midi setup and reopen it it's reset back to 48hz

Whenever the external Nuforce USB Audio Device is disconnected, the Mac will 're-establish' the internal sound chip as the default, and the 'MIDI setting' is automatically downgraded to 16-bit to match the internal sound card). Therefore the MIDI configuration has to be set to 24 bit every time Mac is connected to Nuforce 24 bit USB Audio Device.

The above statement is in the setup guide on our website. http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/usb-audio-setup.php

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 11
The Icon HDP supports up to 96kHz/24-bit via USB 2.0 and up to 192kHz/24-bit via SPDIF. If you are using iTunes I would suggest investing in a program such as BitPerfect which changes the sample rates automatically.

EDIT: I should add that I'm uncertain on how to configure 192kHz playback on a Mac as it only goes up to 96kHz on the Audio MIDI Setup, perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can provide the answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back