Nuforce Icon HD as Speaker DAC
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AlbinoBlacMan

Head-Fier
Very new to all this audiophile stuff. I'm looking at getting a NuForce Icon HD as a DAC/amp for my headphones. However, later on I plan on expanding my equipment to include a set of speakers as well.

The Nuforce is an DAC/amp. but does it always function as both? Could I use it just as a DAC by hooking one side to my USB and one side to an amp that powers the speakers? Or would that not work (would it still function as an amp to which would mean an amp to amp connection, which I assume is frowned upon) and if it would work would it be decent quality for running the speakers?

Thanks,
Chris

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 10
When you connect headphones to the front of the Icon HD, the device acts as a Headphone Amp. When you unplug the headphones an internal switch engages the RCA Line level outputs on the back, which you would then connect to an amplifier for powering speakers. :)

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 10
The Nuforce Icon HD is a headphone amp, but not necessarily an amp to power passive speakers.  If the speakers are self-powered, the HD can be used as a preamp.  If you are expecting to drive a pair of speakers from the headphone out jack, it most likely will not provide an adequate amount of power.  Heck, the HDP doesn't provide enough power for my Denon D5000 headphones for my taste.  It just seems a bit weak.  I normally listen at very low levels, but when I want to turn it up, the HDP gets louder, but the increase is blaring and not very satisfying when compared to the volume increase with the much more powerful (about 4x) Schitt Asgard.  The Asgard simply has a much bigger sound, and it makes a great substitute for a George Foreman grill when I'm in the mood for a grilled-cheese sandwich. 

Ok, that last statement was clearly off the topic.  That said, even Nuforce would recommend the Icon Amp for desktop speakers, using the Icon HD as a preamp with the RCA outputs.  The Icon HD might not be the ideal solution for your future plans.  Adding the Icon Amp at a later date would cost another ~$200 investment if you were fine with upgrading in steps.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 10
When you connect headphones to the front of the Icon HD, the device acts as a Headphone Amp. When you unplug the headphones an internal switch engages the RCA Line level outputs on the back, which you would then connect to an amplifier for powering speakers. :)

A minor correction: you'd have to connect the RCA jacks to a preamp, integrated amp or a receiver. You couldn't connect them to a power amp without some type of preamp.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 10
When the headphone is unplugged, the Icon HD then acts as a preamp and not a headphone amp. The analog volume knob controls the preamp voltage to the RCA line outs. You send the RCA outs directly to your amplifier.No other preamp is needed.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Incase anyone cares. Just got this reply. Might clarify some stuff.

I sent this:

Code:
[color=rgb(42, 42, 42)] > Hello, > I'm considering purchasing an Icon HD to use primarily as a DAC/headphone  > amp. However, in the future I may want to add a set of speakers/studio  > monitors to my collection. I'm wondering if the HD can be attached  > directly to a amp (which would then go to speakers) or if I have to  > connect to a preamp first? > > (note that I play all my music from a computer, so as long as the HD can  > act as preamp I don't really see any benefits of the HDP over the HD, is  > this correct?) > > Thanks, > Chris > [/color]
 Got this reply:

Code:
[color=rgb(42, 42, 42)] Dear Chris, When you connect headphones to the front of the Icon HD, the device acts as  a Headphone Amp. When you unplug the headphones an internal switch engages  the RCA Line level outputs on the back, which connect to an amplifier for  powering speakers. When the headphone is unplugged, the Icon HD then acts as a regular  preamplifier and no longer a headphone amp. The analog volume knob controls  the preamp voltage to the RCA line outs. You send the RCA outs directly to  your amplifier.No other preamp is needed. You can go straight from the Icon  HD to an Amplifier. Best Regards, Jason Smith NuForce Technical Support[/color]

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Sorry, I missed the fact that you said the Icon HD would be connected to an amp.  My reading comprehension skills are quite poor, and I misunderstood and thought you might be attempting to use the Icon HD as an amp for your speakers using the RCA output.  Oh, and JasonS is Jason Smith, the Nuforce tech support "team".

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the fact that you said the Icon HD would be connected to an amp.  My reading comprehension skills are quite poor, and I misunderstood and thought you might be attempting to use the Icon HD as an amp for your speakers using the RCA output.  Oh, and JasonS is Jason Smith, the Nuforce tech support "team".

Haha well than thanks Jason, sorry you had to Answer the question about 7 times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back